• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aftermarket AK iron sights

puška m70

NES Member
Anyone like and luck with the ghost ring/peep type replacement rear sight leaves on AKs?

1639600401362.png

I see this type and it looks like target acquisition would be a bit faster, but the notch and line of sight through the circle is a lot (like 4x) larger than the typical AK rear notch. Big rings + a short sight radius = maybe not so great accuracy. Would it be worse with one of those tiny KNS precision balls/thinner sight posts? Is it enough of a difference to make a difference within practical AK-iron sight use distances?

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste money on that.

The way to handle peep sights on AK-style rifles is on or near the dust cover, like the Valmet and Galil. However, these days, you'd be better off with mounting a red dot either on a dust cover mount, a side mount, or a gas tube mount, depending on what kind of AK you have. A red dot is going to allow faster target acquisition. You can also use red dots at night a lot easier than iron sights (aperture or open).

Your sight is good. I have the complete closed O-ring, which is ok for fast target acquisition (i.e. steel targets), but I've since moved onto benched casual-shooting. The open top should make it easier to get the front sight acquired while still getting elevation lined up.
The other issue I had with the AK ghost ring, is the distance from the eye. Your eyes will be tempted to focus on the rear sight and not the front.

XS makes express style AK sights, I like them, but with the smaller front dot. The Big Dot is too big on a rifle. Otherwise, I'd stick with the original sights.

Back
Top Bottom