• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig p228 and/or p229

I really like the sig 226 but am looking for something a bit smaller for concealed carry (in 9mm). I've looked around a bit and can't find a real big difference between these weapons (p228 & p229) other than different slides. The 228 I beleive is only currently be produced for military contracts (M11). Does this make it harder to get parts? I've also thought about trying to carry the 226. I'm 5'8", 230 lbs and a former powerlifter so i might be able to pull it off. Any differences that you guys know of that would sway my desicion would be a great help (228 or 229). Thanks in advance for all your help.

Prop

i had a 229, with a quick barrel change, I could shoot .357 Sig, which is quite a juicy round.

i recently trained with the M11, and there really isnt a heck of difference in the pistol.

i say go 229, simply because i believe the 9mm round is more effective when rolled on the floor, in an attempt to trip and confuse your attacker, than shot at him/her.

as far as parts go.....Id have to say that would be a non issue.

get a 229.

226 and 229 are very similar.

Have you tried the 239? It is a single stack and a fair bit smaller. Same controls and feel. The 226 is a bit big for concealed carry except in winter IMO. I have one and love it, but it is a bit big.

I have the 226, 229, and 239, all in .40 cal.
The 239 is not much smaller than the 229 and sacrifices mag capacity.
The 229 is probably the best all around gun for concealed carry, of the three.
It will take some wardrobe planning and a careful selection of holsters to do the job right.

A good holster makes all the difference. My carry gun is a P225, but with a good IWB holster (I like Milt Sparks) I can conceal my P220 or P226 comfortably. If you are carrying IWB, there is not much difference between the 226 and 229. It is the grip that you are concealing, and they are both double stacks.

I'm definatly not intrested in the 239; I have big palms and the single stack mag is too small. I'm definatly going to take a ccw class from goal to get some more training and ideas about carry. I need to find the best and most comfortable place on my body.

Well, I also have a bunch of Sigs. The p226 was my first but least used. It's big (for me) and doesn't CCW well for my use. As you mentioned the P239 is MUCH smaller, I do like this for CCW.. as a matter of fact don't tell anyone-- I'm carrying it now. [wink]

I will say that without a doubt my favorite Sigs are the P228 with my P229R .40 S&W a damn close second. Many of the parts in the P228 are interchangable with the P229 (most parts in frame IIRC) . The P228 and P229 9mm (and P226 for that matter) have plenty preban mags out there which I tink is a plus.

The P228/P229 are closer to the P226 than the P239 for size without a doubt- certainly for grip size. I'd say if you like the rail and the slightly extra weight get the P229, otherwise you can't go wrong with a P228 IMO.

Also- lots of folks have Sigs. Try them out first. I prefer IWB for CCW FWIW. Milt Sparks are damn good but the lead time is very long.

Last edited:
If you're going 9mm, get a P228. If you're going .357 or .40, the P229...
it's that simple. (helping that is the fact that the P228 only comes in
9mm).

I have both and I think the P228 balances better in my hand than the P229
does... but if you get a functional example of either, both are tough as nails
designs with incredible levels of reliability and accuracy.

My only real criticism of some Sigs is that the single action trigger can sometimes
be unreasonably heavy/stiff breaking. They can be worked on, however, by a
competent smith. Many whine about the DA but IMO I'd rather have A DAO sig
than one that had a crappy single action trigger... if the SA trigger sucks there is
no point to having a DA/SA firearm.

WRT Carrying a P226.... it's doable, with the right holster/clothes/etc. The problem is not the
weight but the OAL of the gun itself. I did carry my P226 OWB a couple
of times so it is doable. IWB with a P226 would be "interesting" to put it mildly. I find that with
longer bbl guns that they feel strange when carried IWB. Your mileage may vary.

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm definatly not intrested in the 239; I have big palms and the single stack mag is too small. I'm definatly going to take a ccw class from goal to get some more training and ideas about carry. I need to find the best and most comfortable place on my body.[

FWIW, on the P239, a grip panel change is almost a requirement. (the
default panels make it feel like you're gripping a block of steel and plastic.)
I would agree though, that if you have oven mitts for hands, a double stack pistol is probably going to be better.

-Mike

My new fav for concealed carry is the Walther P99C. That is if we are talking 9MM. Handle one sometime...

I've settled on the P226. Price and availability are making it the way to go. I know I shoot it well and it fits my hand splendidly. I'm big enough to try and carry it. I'm thinking small of the back. Thanks for all the responses.

I've settled on the P226. Price and availability are making it the way to go. I know I shoot it well and it fits my hand splendidly. I'm big enough to try and carry it. I'm thinking small of the back. Thanks for all the responses.

Just be careful when you sit down that it's not going to get caught in the chair you're sitting on. That happned to hubby once...and it wasn't at a time that it didn't matter. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom