• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Mosquito STB today

gene

NES Member
The wife was shooting the mosquito today and the front of the slide blew apart about 2 inches from the end of the barrel. I am confident that SIG will make good on it but what a pain this is and scary. We are talking about a 22 Caliber here and thats concerning that the 36 gr federal round could blow apart metal that way. Picked up the parts and will call Sig tomorrow but now as a loyal SIG owner with atleast 6 other Sigs, I am concerned about quality.

Gotta say this is the second gun that blew uo on me or in this case the wifey but this crap shouldn't be happening. First blow up was with a model 36 and now this. S&W replaced the 36 but with a model 10 which sucked nuts and not a the 2" barrel gun I lost

Sounds like an obstruction.

If this is the case, than shame on her for not checking for a squib.

If this is the case, Sig probably won't replace as it was operator error.

I'm glad she's ok.

IIRC The slide is made out of Zamak (basically pot metal that sounds more serious than it actually is) so this doesn't surprise me at all. It could be an obstruction but it could also be just a poor casting, too.

The Mosquito is really nothing more than Sig's version of the P22. They're both pretty much in the same realm in terms of failure and lack of good quality control.

-Mike

Really? A lot of modern firearms are made so they can shoot squibs out with another round without exploding..

Doubtful. If you are lucky you will end up with a gun with 2 bullets stuck in the barrel and minimal damage. If you are unlucky you will end up with a full blown KB. I've never heard of someone "pushing out" a squib with a live round behind it.

The "nicest" squib KB I've ever seen was an SW625 where a squib went down the barrel and then a live one went in right behind it, then the shooter stopped. Both bullets were pounded out and there didn't -appear- to be any major damage to the gun, but I think a lot of luck was involved there. It also helps that on a wheelie at least some of the excess pressure can exit the cylinder gap. If the same thing happened on a 1911 the barrel would have been toast.

Actually, on a revolver the luckiest thing you can have happen is to have the squib not be powerful enough to get the bullet all the way into the forcing cone and it locks up the revolver. This actually saved my ass once when I was shooting through a bag of "known to be possibly bad" .38s. Wheelies are way easier to blow up because it is easy to send a squib an inch or two down the barrel and then stuff more rounds in behind it. With an auto often times the gun will not cycle, and often times, the bullet won't be far into the chamber and won't allow you to chamber another round even if you tried.

I could, possibly maybe, see the "bullet push" thing "working" with something like a snubnose .38, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to try it. Maybe if you gave me a Taurus .38 snub, a ransom rest, and a piece of string, and a nice barricade to stand behind.... [laugh] Course, the fact that it is a Taurus would kind of screw up the "neutrality" of the testing.

[rofl]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife was shooting the mosquito today and the front of the slide blew apart about 2 inches from the end of the barrel. I am confident that SIG will make good on it but what a pain this is and scary. We are talking about a 22 Caliber here and thats concerning that the 36 gr federal round could blow apart metal that way. Picked up the parts and will call Sig tomorrow but now as a loyal SIG owner with atleast 6 other Sigs, I am concerned about quality.

I had a Mosquito for over two years with more than 15,000 rounds through it (my first gun, so it was shot a lot initially). Recently, there was a sharp report on firing and the slide was cracked where the recoil spring/rod fits. I fully expected to pay for a repair, but SIG replaced the complete pistol without comment.

I did the transfer at Four Seasons. It was done for free the day I picked up my new Kahr PM9. Thanks, Carl. The whole process was nicely done. [smile]

I had a Mosquito for over two years with more than 15,000 rounds through it (my first gun, so it was shot a lot initially). Recently, there was a sharp report on firing and the slide was cracked where the recoil spring/rod fits. I fully expected to pay for a repair, but SIG replaced the complete pistol without comment.

I did the transfer at Four Seasons. It was done for free the day I picked up my new Kahr PM9. Thanks, Carl. The whole process was nicely done. [smile]

There was no squib and no barrel obstruction, The slide just snapped in half where the recoil rod fits as mentioned above.

Whatluck, You weren't being a D---, just pointing out a high probability, bad metals, hot loaded 22, poor QC, who knows, except everyone is OK and time for Sig to take a peek at it and get you a new one. Oh, and I know a lot of folks like to knock on Taurus, but I have 2 wheelies from them, a 65 and a 608 stainless and they are fine shooters and didn't break the bank, now whether I would get a Taurus semi, that's a whole other thing.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver

Last edited:
I did contact Sig today and the CS rep said they don't replace the slides and would send me a new gun. Figured as much. Of all the companies that you deal with, I think firearms manufacturers are the best. Same thing with S&W. For that reason I continue to buy both S&W and Sigs. Had the barrel of a early model S&W 36 blow off a few years ago and two week later S&W sent me a brand new Model 10. Wish it were a 2" round gun but still an exceptional replacement.

I don't abuse weapons either, I clean them every shoot but I guess shooting almost every weekend takes a toll.

Back
Top Bottom