• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SIG Introduces New 277 SIG FURY Cartridge

mikeyp

NES Member

1612138907981.png
SIG SAUER’s new 277 SIG FURY cartridge was originally developed for the U.S. Army’s Next Generation Squad Weapons program ,which promises to replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and M4 Carbine with an entirely new system consisting of lightweight 6.8x51mm ammunition, automatic rifle and rifle. The 6.8mm round must be capable of performance similar to .270 Win Short Mag. Although the government provides a special projectile and specifications for accuracy, they left it up to industry to create a cartridge to deliver it on target.

Due to the Army’s operational requirement for this new round, it requires extremely high chamber pressure, in excess of 80,000 psi.

SIG is one of three companies competing to satisfy the Army’s NGSW requirement ,which is planned to begin fielding weapons in 2022. The other two teams are led by General Dynamics and Textron Systems, but neither of these is a firearms or ammunition manufacturer like SIG.

Instead, both had to partner with others. This situation has resulted in three completely different cartridge designs.

SIG Ammunition created a hybrid case with brass body and steel head. This ammunition is used in fairly straightforward firearms which would be familiar to any service members who has fired current issue weapons. As you can see in this photo, it is similar length and diameter of 7.62mm NATO.

General Dynamics’ partner True Velocity utilized a polymer case that can be recycled and features a much less pronounced neck design. Their polymer ammunition is fired from bullpup designs.

Textron Systems offers the most ambitious cartridge. Their Case Telescoped design features a polymer case that completely encases the projectile, which is surrounded by propellant. It resembles a rimless shotgun shell and is fired from a firearm with entirely new operating system ,which pushes the cartridge ever forward through the firing cycle.

SIG’s submission was developed by SIG Ammunition at their plant in Arkansas. Their brass case with steel head offer slighter weight when combined as well more strength in the head where you need it, and a malleable case that works very well in the firing cycle.

Initially, the case was a three-piece design and included an aluminum lock washer to hold the head and case together. Eventually, they figured out how to attach the brass and steel without the internal washer. The two pieces are made using conventional ammunition machinery. The design is 23.5% lighter than the weight of an equivalent energy cartridge (.270 WSM). This exceeds the Army’s goal of a 20% reduction.

In this photo, the .270 WSM cartridge to the left is paired with SIG’s 6.8x51mm round developed for the NGSW requirement, on the right.

What makes the introduction of this new caliber so interesting is that it is being developed specifically for a military requirement. That hasn’t happened in a long time. Instead, the military has adapted sporting cartridges. Depending on which type of ammunition the Army selected, it might not be available for civilians.

SIG already had the idea for a hybrid cartridge case in mind when the Army published its product opportunity notice to the industry in November of 2017 for a Next Generation Squad Automatic Rifle to replace the Squad Automatic Weapon. By May of 2018, SIG had developed both a cartridge and a belt-fed machine gun to fire it.

Since then, they’ve gone from an initial field of 16 competitors to the three in the current phase of this Army weapon program. SIG decided the technology is mature enough to offer commercially.

I don't really try to keep up with new cartridges. Is that the same as the new Winchester 6.8?

A solution looking for a problem.
Theres so much more cost effective rounds out there that can be used in place of that have more velocity and downrange energy well past 8-900 yds.

Once a dollar amount appears on cost of ammo production, it'll be a hard pass.

Hornady introduced the 6mm ARC around the same time to compete with it.

Part of SIG's plan I'm sure. A steady demand for replacement barrels.
That's what I was thinking... and the the other poster about the corrosion thing. Forces them to use it and buy more too.
I had a guy who wanted to try one of my pistols before buying it, he brought is own ammo with him. Old ass aluminum cased 9mm. Just at the end of the case where the copper jacket contacted the aluminum was all corroded, some had cracks. No way.

I don't really try to keep up with new cartridges. Is that the same as the new Winchester 6.8?
It's one of the proposed rounds for the Next Generation Squad Weapon. General Dynamic's candidate uses a composite cased round from True Velocity and Textron is pushing a "Case Telescoped" round.

Whichever system eventually gets chosen, people will be clamoring for a civilian version to replace their now "obsolete" 5.56 arsenal.

It's one of the proposed rounds for the Next Generation Squad Weapon. General Dynamic's candidate uses a composite cased round from True Velocity and Textron is pushing a "Case Telescoped" round.

Whichever system eventually gets chosen, people will be clamoring for a civilian version to replace their now "obsolete" 5.56 arsenal.
I've seen em all and I wouldn't want to trade in the 5.56 for them.

That's what I was thinking... and the the other poster about the corrosion thing. Forces them to use it and buy more too.
I had a guy who wanted to try one of my pistols before buying it, he brought is own ammo with him. Old ass aluminum cased 9mm. Just at the end of the case where the copper jacket contacted the aluminum was all corroded, some had cracks. No way.
The problem is there aren't really any weapons systems that you can run that caliber in. It won't work in a remington or clone, the savage will take it but its stressed and loses headspace, the sig platform is it right now.

all of this is part of the reason why true velocity is seeking standard pressures.

Back
Top Bottom