• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Fans - P239, P229, P226, or P220...and why?

My sig 220 st,is my bedside gun to be used to get me at nite to my Saga-12. If emptied on the way, its good as a hammer in hand to hand fighting.

My sig 220 st,is my bedside gun to be used to get me at nite to my Saga-12. If emptied on the way, its good as a hammer in hand to hand fighting.

"Heavy is good. Heavy means reliable... If it does not work you can always hit him with it..." ~ Boris the Blade

I'm trying to decide between a P220 and a P226 in 40. Will be my first handgun, and not my last Sig.

"Heavy is good. Heavy means reliable... If it does not work you can always hit him with it..." ~ Boris the Blade

I'm trying to decide between a P220 and a P226 in 40. Will be my first handgun, and not my last Sig.

I sold my S&W M&P40 to buy the P220 and haven't looked back.

High quality for sure but I would recommend sending to Sig for an action job, totally smooth and lighter action. I have 2-229 that I use for IDPA matches and a 239 for carry, but I bought a S&W MP 9 for my 14 year old ( with Apex trigger job) and that is my new favorite gun.

To me, the 229 and 228 are very nice guns that feel good and are accurate, with the 228 balancing a bit better. The problem is they're not great for CCW and if you're not going to carry, you might as well get a full size. So I vote for a 226.

ok, i've had it for like 2 hours total.
love it ( though the grips SUCK and will be gone in a matter of days ) and i can see the possibility that this could POSSIBLY become a regular carry gun for me. which is a serious statement since i am one of " those people " that feel the sun rose and set on the 1911A1.

my first sig and i'm very impressed
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-acquisitions-march-2013-a-8.html#post3045128

ok, i've had it for like 2 hours total.
love it ( though the grips SUCK and will be gone in a matter of days ) and i can see the possibility that this could POSSIBLY become a regular carry gun for me. which is a serious statement since i am one of " those people " that feel the sun rose and set on the 1911A1.

my first sig and i'm very impressed
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-acquisitions-march-2013-a-8.html#post3045128

What grips are you thinking about? I have hogues on mine and love them.

Try them out and see which one is more comfortable. I have a 226 SA/DA with a short reset trigger. If I ever sell it, it'll be because I am destitute. It is a finely engineered firearm and has been utterly reliable over 1000 rounds fired, any type of ammo. I like the 220 as well, but I much prefer my G21 for .45 over the 220. Whichever Sig you get, you must get the short reset trigger (SRT). It completely changes (improves) the gun.

I have
239 in 9mm love it. My favorite carry gun. Fits my medium hands very well.
220 for my bedside pistol. Added the thin grips to better fit my mitts. Flawless function.
228 in 9mm smoothest trigger of any pistol I own. A little snappy but a great gun.

Want 226 with ergo grips.

As others have said see what fits your hand. Each model serves a different purpose. 239 carry; 229/228 double stack carry; 226 duty carry, range toy, HD; 220 Duty carry, range toy, HD

I love Sigs. Tried to like M&Ps but they don't compare. I prefer the DA/SA of the Sig. Downside to Sigs is weight. Love how easy they breakdown for cleaning. (I hate taking my 1911 apart)

I own a P220. Big honker with rails. I put a light on it and use for hd, bedside, range. Too big for me to carry concealed without a heavier coat or a jacket.

Looking at picking up a 9mm 239 for carry. Not crazy about 8 round magazines though. My P99c magazines carry 10. But I do like the all steel construction on the 239.

How easy are conversions? How easy is it to convert back?
The 22 rimfire kit for converting a P220/226/229 between 22LR and centerfire include a complete aluminum slide and magazines, takes less than a minute to switch. Only 10 round magazines available in 22, there is a regular model and one with a threaded barrel (same threads as the Mosquito).

For changing centerfire caliber, you use the existing slide and springs, so just swap out the barrel and magazine.

I own a P220. Big honker with rails. I put a light on it and use for hd, bedside, range. Too big for me to carry concealed without a heavier coat or a jacket.

Looking at picking up a 9mm 239 for carry. Not crazy about 8 round magazines though. My P99c magazines carry 10. But I do like the all steel construction on the 239.
There are 10 round magazines for the P239 in 9mm.

There are 10 round magazines for the P239 in 9mm.

Thanks... good to know. Are they the extended version single stack that protrudes out the end of the grip by an inch or so?

I have a couple for my P220 but they are the extended single stack variety. I wouldn't want to try and conceal with them.

The rails on aluminum Sig frames do wear. I highly recommend greasing them.

Lubrication of Sig Sauer pistol rails :: Grayguns by Bruce Gray
Thanks for the link!

I sent my HK P30 to Gray Guns for his "Heckler & Koch Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package". Wow, what a difference! It's an absolute joy to shoot now—as if it wasn't already : )

I just picked up a Sig 226 I'll be sending to Gray Guns as well once I can part with it for a few weeks.

Thanks for the link!

I sent my HK P30 to Gray Guns for his "Heckler & Koch Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package". Wow, what a difference! It's an absolute joy to shoot now—as if it wasn't already : )

I just picked up a Sig 226 I'll be sending to Gray Guns as well once I can part with it for a few weeks.

I might have to send my HK45 to them.

Thanks for all of the insights. Greatly appreciate it.

So it sounds like there isn't any specific model I should avoid, which is good.
I will get some hands on experience on fit (tried a 226 and 229, liked both)

How easy are conversions? How easy is it to convert back?

I have a 9mm 2022, and have Friday I completed purchase of a P250 kit (was advertised here).
P250 came in .40 (manuf date Mar 2010), and the kit included two conversion exchanges - one is 9mm , the other .357 sig.

The conversion is easy, simple, and takes about 2 mins. Seller walked me through it at the range, and
I did it at home Saturday morning. Absolutely zero issues.

Converted back to the .40 from the 9mm, went to range, and put 100 rounds through the weapon.
It ran well, no failures / jams / concerns.

I recommend adding the P250 platform to your list of choices.

I wish I saw this thread earlier and I also have the 229, 239, 220, and the Mosquito.

The Mosquito is a reverse two tone and doesn't have a lot of rounds thru it but they have all been flawless shooting Stingers. It did not like my RWS target ammo one bit. The other three have all been great guns without a single FTF. THese are also older guns, not later models.

229 in .40 shoots low and always has so I need to change out the sight some day.
239 in .40 as noted is an outstanding carry piece.
220 is a very nice shooter and I do carry it some days. I like it almost as much as my custom Series 70 and my Mark IV.
The reason I like the Sigs so much is that they all operate the same way. Under stress there would never be a reason for fumbling. I also prefer the DA/SA trigger versus carrying C&L.

Back
Top Bottom