• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Fans - P239, P229, P226, or P220...and why?

Shot Sigs a number of times and like them. Kind of comparing these three models:

P239 - 9mm
P229 - 9 mm
P226 - 9mm

P220 (maybe) - 45 acp

I have found Sig's comparison sheet: http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/Specifications-Comparison.pdf but looking for real world experiences!

Any know what it means when there is an "M" or "RM" at the end of the model (e.g. P220RM), etc?

Last edited:
None of the above!

P239 in 9mm has always been my personal favorite. Small, comfortable, easy to shoot, easy to conceal, reliable.

Ah, yes should have included P239 on the list as well as it's in the running (also seems to be cheaper?). Any idea on why it would be less expensive?

P228 in 9mm. The P229 in 9mm is same gun more or less, but the slide is heavier and it doesn't balance as well, IMO.

M is for "Ma**h***" version. The R is for rail, or not.

-Mike

I actually really prefer the 229 myself. Dr grant is correct that the 228 and the 229 is essentially the same gun, the differences are in how the slide and frame was made.

The 228 could only handle a 9MM and with its standard magazines, was only able to hold 13 rounds. The slide on the 228 was also forged carbon steel (or stamped depending on the termiology), which could, and has been known to rust.

The frame for the 229 (2011 model and up) shared an identical frame for 40SW, 9mm, and 357sig, so all you would need to fire a different caliber is get a conversion kit for it. It is a bit top heavy, but it fits my hand like a glove, and of all my firearms, i am the most accurate with my 229. The standard magazine in MA is 10 round. The max amount of rounds a *non ma version* for 9mm was 15 rounds.

The 229 is cool because of the caliber conversions available. I got a good deal on a threaded .22 Xchange (gunbroker), about a month before rimfire ammo transmuted to unobtainium. If you're in MA the conversions are doubly useful because they allow you to reconfigure a 229 into a caliber not on the MA approved roster.

For carry I prefer the 239; it's my second favorite small automatic.

We have all except the P220. I carry the P239 and P226. All are good guns.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

This for the same reasons. 229 felt awkward to me compared to the 226 when I had one.

226 if you're looking for a full size pistol, 228 if you want something smaller. The 229 is a fine gun but if you're only going to shoot 9mm there's no need for the extra weight. Sig beefed it up so they could share components with the 40 cal version. Go with a 228 if you want all the features of the 226 but in a smaller package.

Love my 229 - fits my hand well - although I did get some hogue aluminium grips and find the fit even better.

For converting calibers (correct me if i am wrong) you would need to buy a 229 in .40 or .357 and can buy the conversion kits including 9mm. If you buy a 9mm straight out, you cannot convert up to .40 or .357

I have a p229 rm 40sw, just got a 40-9 conversion barrel for it. Fits my hand like a glove especially since I added e2 grips. Also added srt trigger. Never leave home without it. Someday I'll probably get a p226 also if I can find one with a beavertail.

I own both the 239 9mm and the P232 in .380 two of the finest tools known to man....lol

For converting calibers (correct me if i am wrong) you would need to buy a 229 in .40 or .357 and can buy the conversion kits including 9mm. If you buy a 9mm straight out, you cannot convert up to .40 or .357

The P229 manufactured in 2011 share the exact same frame. Prior to 2011, if you bought a 9mm you where stuck with the 9mm.

Thanks for all of the insights. Greatly appreciate it.

So it sounds like there isn't any specific model I should avoid, which is good.
I will get some hands on experience on fit (tried a 226 and 229, liked both)

How easy are conversions? How easy is it to convert back?

I wanted to like the 229 but the 226 just felt better in my hand. Got a great deal on a 40 from FS and then bought the 9 conversion kit from Sig.
Absolutely no regrets.

Last edited:
Own and shoot both a P220 and a P229 in 9mm. Love them both. When I bought the 229, it was so my wife and I could both shoot it. Fits us both very well. The P220 is too big for her to grip properly, but fits me just fine.

The P229 manufactured in 2011 share the exact same frame. Prior to 2011, if you bought a 9mm you where stuck with the 9mm.

Wrong, you're still stuck with a 9mm, unless they did something bizarre recently to the magwell to accommodate both mags. P229 9mm and P229 .40/.357 mags are different dimensions. I suppose they may have come up with a wallhack for that, though, but itd be kinda strange.

-Mike

I like my 226 a lot. I have the ma**h*** version. So I swapped out the trigger spring with a wolf 19 pounder to lighten the double action trigger pull. That made a big difference for me. I also did the same on my Beretta 92 FS. I swapped out the spring for the double action only model's spring - which is a lighter version. Thats like a whole a new gun now too.

I'm debating a short reset trigger in the 226 as well. Once thing I don't like about it is the hella long reset.

Wrong, you're still stuck with a 9mm, unless they did something bizarre recently to the magwell to accommodate both mags. P229 9mm and P229 .40/.357 mags are different dimensions. I suppose they may have come up with a wallhack for that, though, but itd be kinda strange.

-Mike

Sorry for the wall of text.
"The 9mm model (both railed and non-railed) can be converted to .22 LR, but in the past its receivers were not designed to provide the space needed for handling the larger rounds of .357 SIG and .40 S&W. As SIG Sauer has slowly begun adopting the E2-style grip system across the P229 model range in 2011—a move similar to what is also happening to the larger P226—they have also begun using the .357 SIG/.40 S&W spec frame dimensions for their factory 9mm P229s, presumably to streamline the number of variations in parts needed to be kept in inventory. Although the manufacturer has announced that older-configuration magazines will continue to operate in the new receiver configuration, SIG Sauer has nonetheless revised new P229 9mm factory magazines to a design that is specific to the resized magazine well of the newly reconfigured receiver/frame."

How is the ma**h*** version of the 226 different than the normal states? Is it just the trigger pull? The fix is just a spring?

How is the ma**h*** version of the 226 different than the normal states? Is it just the trigger pull? The fix is just a spring?

I'm pretty sure there is no difference in the DA/SA 226's. The DAK's have a 6lb trigger pull, which makes it not AG safety reg compliant for MA.

Back
Top Bottom