• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SIG AR15

Hk isn't so great .
read the post from the Las Vegas gun range . They had better luck with a knock off hk upper then with the real hk .

I own a piston upper and a standard upper .

For shtf I'm going with a di upper if I grab a ar15.

I would rather my ar15 turn into a straight pull bolt action .
then have the piston bent and stuck in the rear or mushroom the striking surface. Causing the gun to not be able to fire .

Worse case with a di gun you have to hand cycle it . Worse case with a piston ar15 your stuck with a club.

The number one problem with a ar15 piston gun is the Max width of the piston rod.

Anything mechanical is going to be prone to mechanical failure. Every military trial the 416 has surpased the m4 in the least amount of stoppages. All brands of firearms at somepoint throw out a bad gun or 2, it's nature of the beast, let's not say they all suck Cuz one failed, that's just childish.

Pistons have proven very viable in the civilian and law enforcement communities, u can call it whatever u want, they are here to stay, they have there place, they have there upsides and down sides, same goes with DI.

It drives me nuts everytime I get a face full of gas from my 6920, its one of the first things i notice everytime i shoot both, then I have to clean it, what a drag.

Last edited:
Anything mechanical is going to be prone to mechanical failure. Every military trial the 416 has surpased the m4 in the least amount of stoppages. All brands of firearms at somepoint throw out a bad gun or 2, it's nature of the beast, let's not say they all suck Cuz one failed, that's just childish.

Pistons have proven very viable in the civilian and law enforcement communities, u can call it whatever u want, they are here to stay, they have there place, they have there upsides and down sides, same goes with DI.

I prefer piston guns don't get me wrong.
My point about the hk is there is a cheaper option that holds up better .

Ones that use a standard ar15 upper have design flaws .
Look at the diameter of the the ak piston compared to the long stroke ar kits . Not the piston head but diameter of the shaft .

Look at the piston size of other short stroke piston systems compared to the ar15 short stroke Pistons .

They have the same thing in common under sized .

For the long stroke your risking it bending.
Short stroke you risk it bending or peening the striking surface on the bolt since it's hitting a much smaller surface area.

The weight is negligible, comparing my spr to my 6920, with the spiral fluted heavy barrel that shaves off a ton of weight. My other lwrc is an 8" with a heavy barrel, it heavy as hell, bUT that due to the barrel. The piston parts alone probably weigh less than 8 ounces, the other heavy piece on my 8"is thr rail, lwrc rails are heavy as hell, same with my spr, they make heavy duty quality parts built to last. So I don't know why people always complain about weight with pistons. They may want to look at the barrel profile first, these days people are sporting pencil barrels, when all things are equal, then compare.

Now cost is the same as a noveske, larue or a knights and even an lMt and pof. It's up there with the other quality DI guns

That 8" LWRC looks like such nice setup, when I priced them they were more than pretty much anything else except KAC. But, again, I'm a fan, I'd love to own one.

Honestly, don't even know if anyone makes a pencil barrel complete upper with a piston. Those enhanced lightweights that BCM sells seems like a pretty desirable profile (unless you are running full auto).

I prefer piston guns don't get me wrong.
My point about the hk is there is a cheaper option that holds up better .

Ones that use a standard ar15 upper have design flaws .
Look at the diameter of the the ak piston compared to the long stroke ar kits . Not the piston head but diameter of the shaft .

Look at the piston size of other short stroke piston systems compared to the ar15 short stroke Pistons .

They have the same thing in common under sized .

For the long stroke your risking it bending.
Short stroke you risk it bending or peaning the striking surface on the bolt since it's hitting a much smaller surface area.

Ive never seen the PWS long stroke system, but on video it looks cheap an flimsy, not a fan of that system in general. I'm no Metallurgist by any means, but i know good quality parts and materials when i see it, ive been in the trades for nearly 20 yrs, the LWRC components are NICE, heavy duty and robust, not sure what make up the steal is but its not gonna bend or peen over. If u are a proponent of piston AR's then the LWRC is worth looking at for sure.

That 8" LWRC looks like such nice setup, when I priced them they were more than pretty much anything else except KAC. But, again, I'm a fan, I'd love to own one.

Honestly, don't even know if anyone makes a pencil barrel complete upper with a piston. Those enhanced lightweights that BCM sells seems like a pretty desirable profile (unless you are running full auto).

Yes, the price is high, but if ur in the market for a super high quality upper that's the price range ur dealing with, DI or piston. You can usually find the A2 uppers for a little less than the IC uppers.

It is heavy though, anyone that picks it up comments. Again, its the beastly HB profile barrel and the hand guard, the hand-guard is unnecessarily heavy, but i bet u could drive nails with it . [smile] The removable piston components are 2.9 oz, and the hand-guard is 12oz if u care carbine length.

Ive never seen the PWS long stroke system, but on video it looks cheap an flimsy, not a fan of that system in general. I'm no Metallurgist by any means, but i know good quality parts and materials when i see it, ive been in the trades for nearly 20 yrs, the LWRC components are NICE, heavy duty and robust, not sure what make up the steal is but its not gonna bend or peen over. If u are a proponent of piston AR's then the LWRC is worth looking at for sure.

Yes, the price is high, but if ur in the market for a super high quality upper that's the price range ur dealing with, DI or piston. You can usually find the A2 uppers for a little less than the IC uppers.

It is heavy though, anyone that picks it up comments. Again, its the beastly HB profile barrel and the hand guard, the hand-guard is unnecessarily heavy, but i bet u could drive nails with it . [smile] The removable piston components are 2.9 oz, and the hand-guard is 12oz if u care carbine length.

[video=youtube_share;CfZcEjdvx8c]http://youtu.be/CfZcEjdvx8c[/video]
Lmt piston upper.
Lmt makes good shit and this gun failed .
It's a extreme example . But the way it failed could of happen over time.

I own a piston upper . I wouldn't trust my life to a ar converted to piston is what I'm saying .

Sigs new piston upper that works on a normal ar/m16 lower is the way to go . It's built from the ground up to be a piston upper .

Look at the size of the lwrc piston and the sig.

[video=youtube_share;CfZcEjdvx8c]http://youtu.be/CfZcEjdvx8c[/video]
Lmt piston upper.
Lmt makes good shit and this gun failed .
It's a extreme example . But the way it failed could of happen over time.

I own a piston upper . I wouldn't trust my life to a ar converted to piston is what I'm saying .

Sigs new piston upper that works on a normal ar/m16 lower is the way to go . It's built from the ground up to be a piston upper .

Look at the size of the lwrc piston and the sig.

Sure, it could happen to any piston gun, depends on manufacturer and material quality...etc etc. Same with diffrrent manufacturers of DI giuns. We also learned that it works and is a viable option, again, some brands may be better than others, I'd trust lmt and lwrc with my life, others not so much.

I have not seen the sig piston, I'll have to search it.

I have the Sig 556R, which is kind of a hybrid of AK47 and AR15; takes cheap 7.62x39 and AK mags, is a piston
rifle and well built with a smooth trigger. Only drawback is that it is kind of heavy, yes. But not that heavy, if you're just at the range,
and it does make the 7.x62x39 recoil feel like 5.56.

Since we are talking piston AR (so this isn't too much of hijack - apologies to the OP anyways).

What do you guys think of the Adams arms pistons?

Back
Top Bottom