Sig announces details of Air Marshall guns

Much ado about nothing. Sig announced that they got a contract to supply Sig P250s in .357SIG to DHS for the air marshals. Then some air marshals claim that this is sensitive information that would give hijackers a better chance of success.

They can learn the gun's capabilities, and how to operate it should they seize one in an ambush.

Something tells be they'd be able to figure it out anyway. Still I don't see the upside in publicizing anything about the program just so that Sig can drop names in print ads....

Terreri said that would-be attackers now can "determine if the weapon has any type of safety mechanism, how many rounds each magazine can hold, and the typical characteristics of the weapon." A former Air Marshal said the disclosure was a boon to potential hijackers. "Now they know which exact model to train with when they ambush a Marshal trying to stay alert in the most boring job in law enforcement."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, what a moron.....[rofl]

I'm betting the story is actually just a clever ruse to catch the terrorists off-guard. When sleeper cell membeers leap from their seats, expecting to quicky neutralize SIGs, and find FAMs shooting them down with Beretta pistols, they will have no option but to die dogs' deaths. [smile]

As you didn't seem to know I’ve explained to you how a FAM could be ambushed.

Then knowing or not knowing which pistol the marshall has is not going to do them much good since they will probably just pop his melon from behind.

Or more likely he will have to confront the FAM without a firearm by a physical attack from any direction. Which could allow the knowledge of the FAM's firearm to be useful.

jkelly

Last edited:
As you didn't seem to know I’ve explained to how a FAM could be ambushed.

Or more likely he will have to confront the FAM without a firearm by a physical attack from any direction. Which could allow the knowledge of the FAM's firearm to be useful.

jkelly

[bs2]

How the hell would the knowledge of what they are carrying be of any use? The way to combat a sleeper is to use good tactics and to not have both air marshalls sitting in first class.

So when they seized the FAM's Sig and went to pull the trigger, the non-existent external safety would have surely frustrated their attempt, but now... oh, wait.

[bs2]

How the hell would the knowledge of what they are carrying be of any use? The way to combat a sleeper is to use good tactics and to not have both air marshalls sitting in first class.

You'd have to ask Terreri what that knowledge is, he seems to be worried about it.

I know nothing of what training a FAM has or what tactcis they use, do you?

I didn't know planes had two FAMs sitting in first class. Are there two of them and do they both sit in first class, or are you making that up?

Respectfully,
jkelly

jkelly
Do you really think a terrorist would be unable to figure out how to use a SIG if he had trained with a Glock or a Beretta?

Do you really think a terrorist would be unable to figure out how to use a SIG if he had trained with a Glock or a Beretta?
Do you think that's what I said?

My point in this thread was not to validate whether knowledge of the new FAMs firearm was useful to bad guys or not. I'll leave that to the experts, real and imagined, to figure out.

I wanted to point out to jose that a FAM can be ambushed and that a physical struggle is likely to ensue rather than a shot to the back of the FAM's head.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Do you think that's what I said?

My point in this thread was not to validate whether knowledge of the new FAMs firearm was useful to bad guys or not. I'll leave that to the experts, real and imagined, to figure out.

I guess I misconstrued what you wrote. So that leaves me puzzled when I look back to read it again:

I guess I misconstrued what you wrote. So that leaves me puzzled when I look back to read it again:

I can see how my statement could cause confusion, sorry.

I used “could” to imply its possible there is a benefit to the bad guy knowing which firearm the FAM is using, rather than using the word “would” and implying that there was definitely a benefit. I don’t know if any benefit exists and didn’t want to take sides.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Humph! Yeah, I'm sure. When I was a mechanic in the Air Force, I was being transferred on a MATS plane, At 20,000 feet, one of the windows shattered. The guy sitting next to it was about 170 pounds. He went through that little space like a hunk of hamburger going down a disposal, and right after him coats, pillows, blankets, cups, saucers. Yeah, I'm sure!

I didn't know planes had two FAMs sitting in first class. Are there two of them and do they both sit in first class, or are you making that up?

I think what TF is getting at, is if you've traveled on aircraft enough, the FAM's are so obvious (if they are aboard) that they stick out like green jellybeans in a bag full of orange ones. I've spotted several probable FAMs, and I don't even travel that much.

-Mike

I think what TF is getting at, is if you've traveled on aircraft enough, the FAM's are so obvious (if they are aboard) that they stick out like green jellybeans in a bag full of orange ones. I've spotted several probable FAMs, and I don't even travel that much.

-Mike

Correct. They get on the plane ahead of time, they don't drink and they are always at the front of the plane. You fly enough it is painfully obvious really.

Correct. They get on the plane ahead of time, they don't drink and they are always at the front of the plane. You fly enough it is painfully obvious really.
I don't fly much anymore (I use to fly a couple hundred times a year) and the people whom I've watched practice/qualify, that I thought were FAM, were a good cross of body types, races and sexes. So my hat's off to you two, if you're right. [wink]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Back
Top Bottom