Sig 229 .40 to 9mm?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sig 229 that is chambered in .40. .40 is great for carry but, can i swap it out to shoot 9mm's when i am a the range? Right now i can get 9mm for about $12 less than i can a box of .40's.

Is there anything to swapping out the caliber besides buying a 9mm cal barrel and using the .9mm magazine?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Sig 229 that is chambered in .40. .40 is great for carry but, can i swap it out to shoot 9mm's when i am a the range? Right now i can get 9mm for about $12 less than i can a box of .40's.

Is there anything to swapping out the caliber besides buying a 9mm cal barrel and using the .9mm magazine?

Thanks

You can do this, but you have to use an aftermarket 9mm barrel. The stock Sig P229 9mm barrel will not work (as I've read). Bar-sto sells one for ~$200. I'm sure there are other places too.

I have to warn you if you start thinking about getting a .357Sig barrel for your .40. It's a great and simple conversion. All you do is drop in a .357 barrel, use your same mags and your good to go. Just be prepared for your .40 barrel to start collecting dust![wink]

Well i really wanted a Sig 229R but in 9mm. The only reason really is that ammo is cheap at the range. It wouldn't be a gun i would carry all the time. Very little if at all. My Glock 27 is my carry gun. I think i might get it regardless, it seems like a good deal.

I could always call sig if i wanted as well.

Last edited:
He's talking about making his gun cheaper to shoot, not more expensive. [wink]

I know, I know, the .357Sig is my favorite round, just like to mention it every chance I get.[smile]

I think if you get the 9mm conversion barrel you will also need a new main spring. I think (not 100% sure, though, you may want to look into it) you can use the same .40 mags with 9mm.

you can use the same .40 mags with 9mm.

I heard this to be true with the glocks too but i have never tried it in either.

It kinda looks like even though it is possible, it not really worth switching. .40 cal ammo isnt too bad. Hell .380's cost me more than that. 100 WWB .40's runs me about $27. 100 9mm is about 18 i think.

When i go to the range, i generally try to only bring 100-200 rounds max of the big stuff. The rest is all .22

I have a sig pro 2340 (.40) and bought a 9mm barrel - no problems.... Cannot remember the brand either Barsto or DragonFire...... Just do a google search and you will find a brand..... Surprised no one said to "just buy another 229 in 9mm".....

I have a sig pro 2340 (.40) and bought a 9mm barrel - no problems.... Cannot remember the brand either Barsto or DragonFire...... Just do a google search and you will find a brand..... Surprised no one said to "just buy another 229 in 9mm".....

If the Sigs weren't so expensive this might be a good idea. lol

It seems i have two options. Try an after market barrel in the Sig if i get it, or Get a 9mm barrel for my G27 so i can shoot 9mm and keep the SIG a .40.

Right now I'm just waiting to here back from the seller.

agreed... I was not trying to be silly but I did have one problem, not with the barrel but with the magazines.... When I loaded the mag with the 9mm sometimes they would get stuck in the double stack position - I would have to remove the mag and tap it to "shake" the rounds to the top [frown] So the end result was that I still use the 9mm conversion barrel but do not as much.....

I did end up getting a few more sigs though [smile]

Back
Top Bottom