SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

women-pulling-carts-back-up-ridge.jpg

That would be my second choice. [smile]

My first choice would be one of my nephew's trucks. It's an older slab-side F250 4WD, all manual, with an International diesel engine (an old one, with a mechanical fuel pump). The only wire on it runs to the starter, and it will run on anything from fryer oil to jet fuel.

I have considered the Humble Minivan.

I am not a minivan driver and dislike them intensely on an aesthetic style , macho , ego-driven tough guy sort of superficial way.

But :
So common as to be as unremarkable.
Carry a lot of stuff inside securely.
Decent milage
fast enough

And the real strength : Able to deploy 4 - 6 passengers with rifles in an instant , and load them back up in a big hurry , even if they are all busted up.

Minivan with riflemen in front , 2 or 3 pickups, campers, whatever carrying stuff , kids , dogs , lawn darts and kayaks and beer coolers , and a second minivan with4 more riflemen in back. Add (4 ) 1/2 mile walkie talkies and a half decent sense of patience ... you could probably get somewhere safely with 15 to 20 people and a lot of gear.

Unless all kinds of stuff went wrong.

A boat or a small plane. There will be hundred mile traffic jams if everyone decides to flee at the same time.

I know it's fun to get all tacticool and gear shop till the cows get home. I should know. I do it all the time. But now for a serious question: What does your minds eye show you when you think of road conditions after such an event?

Think Walking Dead only this time they feed on cool survival gear instead of warm bodies...

I know it's fun to get all tacticool and gear shop till the cows get home. I should know. I do it all the time. But now for a serious question: What does your minds eye show you when you think of road conditions after such an event?

Think Walking Dead only this time they feed on cool survival gear instead of warm bodies...

Think of this. About 300,000 people commute to Boston each day. Of these about 2/3rds are in cars. So 200,000 cars is enough to make a mess of most of the roads heading into Boston every morning.

There are 4-7 million people in the Boston area (depending where you draw the lines). Imagine how traffic will be if we all decide nukes are inbound and we need to head for Northern Maine or NH.

I have a civvy painted 1985 M1009 with the 6.2 diesel.

It doesn't attract attention (other than as a dented up POS), and it's pretty capable off road. It's also 100% mechanical, including the glow plug bypass. Gets about 20mpg

If it REALLY hit the fan, it's M109 time. It's topped off before it's parked. Every time.

4.99 buys a manual transfer pump to fill it back up if necessary to forage for fuel.

330 gallons heated my house up north for a whole winter....without wood backup.

I would think that the two choices would be small and off road (like a off road/on road motorcycle) or big and powerful. If you want to go big and powerful, why not just get something that wont attract much attention? If you have the cash to buy something that you wont use until SHTF... get a trash truck or a sewage truck.... aint NO ONE going to try to car jack you thinking that you have goodies in the back... not like if you are driving by in some heavy duty pickup with all the bells and whistles.

and yes, after you buy it give it a nice steam cleaning to get all the ummm junk... out before you try to use it for transport

I went to Kuwait in 2007. A big wig (old money) Kuwaiti I was working with told me, "when Saddam invaded in 1991, everyone with a SUV 4x4 drove to Saudi Arabia. Many people just had cars--Mercedes, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Porsche--so they had to stay and live through the invasion. Now everyone has SUV." And they did! He had a Suburban and a brand new $100k Mercedes.

Of course when he says "everyone" he means the Kuwaitis and not the foreign labor force, which were driving shat boxes.

You spelled "penis extension" wrong.

Seriously... WTF is with lift kits, anyway? They do nothing except raise the center of gravity and make it harder to get in and out. All your mechanicals are still right where they were before, playing boulder bait. To get an extra inch of ground clearance, you need 2" taller tires, but a 4" lift to clear.

My Z71 is stock height, and I consider it ridiculously tall for the amount of clearance it has.

You spelled "penis extension" wrong.

Seriously... WTF is with lift kits, anyway? They do nothing except raise the center of gravity and make it harder to get in and out. All your mechanicals are still right where they were before, playing boulder bait. To get an extra inch of ground clearance, you need 2" taller tires, but a 4" lift to clear.

My Z71 is stock height, and I consider it ridiculously tall for the amount of clearance it has.

Good for you, your OEM penis extension is better then his, and mine. [thinking]

Sent from my phone.

I really wish there was truly a hybrid SUV that could go offroading.

That would be ideal for me since I already have range anxiety.

I really wish there was truly a hybrid SUV that could go offroading.

That would be ideal for me since I already have range anxiety.

There is. It's called a Range Rover, it costs $90,000, and gets 12 mpg. It's the preferred vehicle of the Queen, Russian mobsters, and all Middle Eastern terrorists except for the ones who have moved to the Toyota Landcruiser - which is $80,000 and gets 13 mpg.

That is why the rest of us are driving jacked up Fords and Chevys.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously... WTF is with lift kits, anyway?

They look cool, chicks dig 'em, and it is easier to clear bodies from the undercarriage in between runs.

It would depend ifi have a place to go to. If so, I'd want a dual sport motorcycle a backpack and some on Bike storage just tomge out of dodge.

If I'm perma bugging out in a vehicle, with all my stuff, I'd want an SUV type, like an international scout that is non computerized, more value if its one of those that can take pretty much any fuel type. Not sure if they make that combination though.

Back
Top Bottom