SHTF Stove | Camping Stove | I Just Want a Cool Stove

I had some free bucks at "The Ready Store" so I used it on a folding camp stove. The quality is really really good an can see this thing lasting my lifetime along with my kids and grandkids lifetime. The cost is quite steep but its made in the USA and out of heavy gauge SS.

Here is the link if anyone is interested. http://www.thereadystore.com/firebox-folding-stove-2260

You can also make stoves out of basically anything such as hollowed out wood logs, coffee cans, cans and spare tires but figured this was easier and nice to have around the house. Probably won't use it a lot but will be fun to teach my daughter how to use it.

1222150819_zpsgqqgtgbx.jpg

1222150820_zpsae2jt6gs.jpg

1222150821_zpsceobx0lk.jpg

1222150823_zpsyi6w23su.jpg

1222150823a_zpshht7hmde.jpg

1222150825_zps8bembf8p.jpg

I have the sterno brand stove in my walk home bag, same idea folds up. I like the quality look of this one better. Thanks for posting it.

Jason.

[video=youtube_share;-x71X04Q7kA]http://youtu.be/-x71X04Q7kA[/video]

I don't know it gets any... er... cooler... than this!

(With a hand powered drill, a chunk of firewood in the round and a few minutes, you've got a stove that will turn into a nice campfire after you're done cooking)

Really nice but...why would I need one? I already know how to build a fire and have copious hours of experience cooking over a campfire

Like I mentioned - I can make a camp fire out of just about anything too... So technically I guess I don't need one either. But, I can see its usefullness when with the family camping or whatever.

[video=youtube_share;-x71X04Q7kA]http://youtu.be/-x71X04Q7kA[/video]

I don't know it gets any... er... cooler... than this!

(With a hand powered drill, a chunk of firewood in the round and a few minutes, you've got a stove that will turn into a nice campfire after you're done cooking)

I like this version better.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice but...why would I need one? I already know how to build a fire and have copious hours of experience cooking over a campfire

this is designed for cooking with efficiency of fuel and minimum of smoke. It runs off of easy to gather small twigs and branches (thumb diameter or less). Also, if you are not in an emergency situation, this has a much smaller impact if you are just hiking in the woods. This is not the fire to keep you warm through the night, but it will boil water in a relative hurry compared with a traditional camp fire. And because it is small it extinguishes easy and fast.

this is designed for cooking with efficiency of fuel and minimum of smoke. It runs off of easy to gather small twigs and branches (thumb diameter or less). Also, if you are not in an emergency situation, this has a much smaller impact if you are just hiking in the woods. This is not the fire to keep you warm through the night, but it will boil water in a relative hurry compared with a traditional camp fire. And because it is small it extinguishes easy and fast.

This right here.

It looks well built for sure. I will be interested in your review after you have a chance to use it.

I recently bought a backpacking stove for hunting and I almost bought the stove you bought but I thought it might take too long to cool down after using it. My main goal was to heat up water quickly for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and soup or dehydrated meals for those bone chilling all day hunts. Not that I have needed it this season.[laugh]

I ended up getting the Jetboil Zip. It can boil a cup of water in a little over a minute and I can pack it away while I am drinking the coffee or soup as it cools down quickly.

Bob

You can make a pretty good quality alcohol stove out of a beer can. I made a couple as I was working through a 12 pack a few months ago. Works great in tandem with my esbit.

This X3, plus it packs small enough to fit into a motorcycle bag.
Thanks for the link, I was looking for something to use while motorcycle camping. Next year will be my first year doing it so I am just getting all of the things I think I need. Looking at that CORE stove as well.

Last edited:
Hey man, thanks for letting know about that cool camping stove. I was looking forward to buy a stove, since we've planned to have a camp fire, and this one looks nice.

Awhile ago I was bored and perusing youtube and came across a video of M1950 stove that looked really cool, so off to ebay. I finally got one from 1952 for under $28 with two spare vaporizers and a spare parts kit, which if purchased separately go for $33 so I'm pretty happy with it. It's meant to run on gas but I've read you can pretty much put in any liquid that burns and it'll do just fine. Another $18 and I got the two pots the stove nests in for storage so for under $50 I got a stove that'll more than likely outlast me.

I have a firefly stove in my pack. Made of titanium and weighs 2.5 ozs. Details here.

Awhile ago I was bored and perusing youtube and came across a video of M1950 stove that looked really cool, so off to ebay. I finally got one from 1952 for under $28 with two spare vaporizers and a spare parts kit, which if purchased separately go for $33 so I'm pretty happy with it. It's meant to run on gas but I've read you can pretty much put in any liquid that burns and it'll do just fine. Another $18 and I got the two pots the stove nests in for storage so for under $50 I got a stove that'll more than likely outlast me.

This is the stove I use when I hike and I leave it in the truck when its not backpacking. I can boil 2 cups of water in under 2 min time, runs on Gas that's in every car along the way.

Mine needs a rebuild, still works just leaks a little but works perfect for being close to 60 years old. Its a little heavy but for the way it works I can handle the extra weight.

Jason.

This is the stove I use when I hike and I leave it in the truck when its not backpacking. I can boil 2 cups of water in under 2 min time, runs on Gas that's in every car along the way.

Mine needs a rebuild, still works just leaks a little but works perfect for being close to 60 years old. Its a little heavy but for the way it works I can handle the extra weight.

Jason.

I ordered a spare parts kit from this site before I had checked if there was one in the pump handle. I replaced the all the parts with the ones in the pump handle and then stuffed the new kit in there.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Not that it really matters but a lot of the stoves I see online or on youtube are very flimsy and look cheap. I'm sure they get the job done but thats just my observation. The stove I purchased is thick heavy gauge SS.... Maybe a little overkill for the amount I'm going to use it. Then again, I had some free $$$ to use at the online retailer I linked too originally which is why I purchased it. Also, not sure if you can tell in the pictures but the unit itself is all in one. It folds open basically.....

I ordered a spare parts kit from this site before I had checked if there was one in the pump handle. I replaced the all the parts with the ones in the pump handle and then stuffed the new kit in there.

http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Mine has no spares in the pump handle.

Thanks for the rebuild info, I'm checking it out now. Oh and I'm getting another like the one you posted And I have the larger WWII style stove in perfect shape, plus many other Colemen stoves.

Jason.

Last edited:
Can stoves work well but knock over easy,and that's a very exciting event

I use it inside of my esbit that is designed to take pellets only. It fits in the heating section and is relatively protected from tipping in there. Nice and cheap use. Will try and post a picture up today.

I have a Firebox Nano Ti stove and a Trangia alcohol burner in my get home bag. Alcohol is nice because there is no smoke, you can start it up and shut it down when you need to. The stoves will burn sticks or twigs if you don't have any alcohol left. It is good for if you are on the move and need to boil water or cook something. I use grain alcohol because it has other uses besides burning...

https://youtu.be/xpVkq5WsmxI

These are nice if you don't have the wood or the space for a campfire. Even if you do they can be used for lots of camp tasks like cooking and they are self contained.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can make a pretty good quality alcohol stove out of a beer can. I made a couple as I was working through a 12 pack a few months ago. Works great in tandem with my esbit.

This is what I use as well.... Great for a quick cup of anything but for more serious cooking I build a campfire....

I keep a tuna can, like the one pictured, in my hiking pack. I also have a small container of rubbing alcohol. It burns well and last a long time and is very inexpensive. With the small camping pan I also pack I can cook or boil water.

tuna-can-stove.jpg hiking pan.jpeg

I use it inside of my esbit that is designed to take pellets only. It fits in the heating section and is relatively protected from tipping in there. Nice and cheap use. Will try and post a picture up today.

I just ordered a RUCAS stove from eBay last night. It's similar to an aluminum beer bottle stove but made from something other than a beer bottle so it's a little wider and heavier gauge. The guy on The Outdoor Gear Review (TOGR) really liked it and preferred it over his Trangia stove. Based on the measurements I think it'll fit nicely in my Esbit stove that I use when I only want water to be a degree or two above ambient. I'm not a fan of the hexamine tablets so this stove gets zero play time, which is a shame because it's a well-made compact system, just not with the solid fuel tabs.

Lately I've been using a JetBoil for all of my water heating needs, but like any good gear junky I'm bound by the junky code to try other stove types. I also have an MSR stove that I like but it's a little cumbersome for the day trips and single overnights that I've been doing. Once warmer weather returns and I make some improvements to my campsite I'll likely be using that more. Of course there's always good old fashioned fire, too.

[video]
]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4HhuS6_qU[/video]

Back
Top Bottom