Show off your Scout Rifle

i can say from my personal experience - the new generation of 1-10x LPVOs is the revolution. it is universal enough to cover up to 300yds perfectly fine and even the $450 swampfox arrowhead is very good at that. and more expensive $2k options should be even better, if one wants optical perfection.
I have a few Leupold 1-5, 1.5-4 and I like them a lot. My Ruger Scout has a Leupold 2-10 (maybe 2-8x, I need to dig it out now), probably not as good as a true 1x for snap shooting, but has done well enough for me for about a decade now. Now I want to take it out to the 200 yard range again. Been a while since it has been out of the safe.

For the minimal amount of shooting I do I really like the LER two eyes open of the scout scope. I'm looking for an LPVO for my "SPR" build AR. I'm sure it will be superior in most ways. But can you shoot both eyes open?

For the minimal amount of shooting I do I really like the LER two eyes open of the scout scope. I'm looking for an LPVO for my "SPR" build AR. I'm sure it will be superior in most ways. But can you shoot both eyes open?
You can absolutely shoot with both eyes open with a LPVO. I actually have been experimenting with full auto with my 1-10 Vortex and I am amazed at how much I can still maintain 100% control at 1x.

I have a few Leupold 1-5, 1.5-4 and I like them a lot. My Ruger Scout has a Leupold 2-10 (maybe 2-8x, I need to dig it out now), probably not as good as a true 1x for snap shooting, but has done well enough for me for about a decade now. Now I want to take it out to the 200 yard range again. Been a while since it has been out of the safe.
true 1x allows to keep both eyes open and swipe the area with no discomfort - it is truly awesome.

Yes, just don't cheap out on glass quality or features.

true 1x allows to keep both eyes open and swipe the area with no discomfort - it is truly awesome.
Agreed. Though good enough glass clarity, eye relief and a solid exit pupil allows you cleanly focus with both eyes open on things that aren't 1x too. Hence the whole LER mentioned above. Or my favorite scope is still the 3.5-8 Leupold mk4 that's found on mk12s.

The scout / long-eye-relief-scoped rifle is a wonderful concept, until its used for anything other than awkward benchrest shooting at which time it’s full retard. It accomplishes nothing that can’t be done with a red dot or higher quality LPVO, which will provide better weight balance as well. The scout concept remains on life support due to its connection w colonel Cooper, otherwise it would have been allowed to die long ago.

The JTAC industries Elf Owl and Screech Owl chassis have an Option to specify a 1913 stock adapter instead of their telescoping stock. I believe the difference between the two is mini action vs 1500.

They have some interesting looking stuff, kinda tempted to grab a 7.62x39 or 6.5cm from them now

@Andy in NH you appear to be a connoisseur of sorts...
False.

...presuming this is your collection of scout rifles. What are your impressions of these (lefty?) guns?
Yes, that is my collection of rifles.
Both the Savage Model 10FMCL (.308Win) and the Savage MKII GL (.22LR) are excellent rifles.

Caveat: the MKII's magazines are poorly designed. The feed lips often separate which causes the rounds to fly out the top.
I have had limited success by re-staking them or adding epoxy/JB Weld to the joints.

Granted I am not super experienced with a forward mounted scope, I am not sure what you get from it that you can't get from a receiver mounted modern 1-x LVPO. Seems to me it would sturdier and potentially lighter.
+1
Now that LVPO's have been developed, I tend to agree with you (again).

I always talk myself out of this idea, and then you lay down a heater of a post like this and get me rethinking my own confirmation bias. [rofl]
I was into Scout Rifles before RDSs and LVPOs were prolific, but sentiment holds me back from switching (modernizing) optics on any of my Scout Rifles.

This is my Steyr Scout in 308. The picture isn’t the greatest but it’s a damn nice tool. It checks all of the boxes Cooper envisioned in The Art of the Rifle where he detailed the Scout Rifle. I use it a little less than I used to since I’m focused on 6mm and 6.5mm at the moment but it’s a perennial favorite of mine.

View attachment 538173
Thats outstanding! My Hats off to you JRT!
Unfortunately NewEngland Cops do not know how to read & enforce, the constitution.
Unlike COLORADO cops, afaik having over 63 counties refusing orders to confiscate firearms, on unfounded 209a accusations only!
They do not confiscate firearms because someone called a spade a spade.
In MA verbalizing facts = an Assault+Battery chg. & immediate 209a.
Well coached by its legal defense support drones w/in 24hrs.
Supporting the 2nd amendment is not a priority.

Having recently been cuffed in the back of 2 BOS suburb towns PD transport vechicles ive witnessed how well armed w/canned ARs w/ GTAPSCFMJ .223/556 ammo they patrol. Many just exited an armed service. IMO/Thats a standing army, is thats supposedly legally allowed in the USA. .../ right?sarcasm /

Looks like preparartion for something to me. Banks do not care about the paper cash.
Every loan they make is orchestrated by arbitrage opportunites devaluing our currency, not the international dollar. The national dollar based currency thsat tradfes in world markets(afaik)

Many financial luminaries claim the USAs inflation rate is over 5%, annually, realistically.
Read 'Enough' by JBogle, page xx/20.
I believe it, its dictating every 20yrs, $100.00 becomes 5.00.
Do the math, w/o capgains interest involved. I believe it.

Did not Greece seize every penny its banks major depositers had over (100k) was seized/reallocsated 5 yrs back iirc? I mean, you get out of bed to make it, should one not understand it also? AFAIK.

--- IIRC member LenS moved to N.H,.. I'd move also if I could, I would!
I do not want my MA firearms licenses anymore, they can keep it.
Its all ... legal theater, connections and money.
I see taxation in MA run rampart these days, on food, clothing under 175.00, etc. ....SAD.
Seems lifes P.C till reality* happens. Then throw the first responders under the bus.

Did Bill & Hillary get out of jail yet?---said WarrenBuffet @ the 94 shareholders meeting.
Is all about positioning, leverage, who one knows & $$$.
My rants over.
Check its claims out if your interested.

Good luck & best wishes to the NES crew.......

Attachments

• AB0EB2EE-BA89-4D94-90FE-AA86CDA101A9.png
    AB0EB2EE-BA89-4D94-90FE-AA86CDA101A9.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thats outstanding! My Hats off to you JRT!
Unfortunately NewEngland Cops do not know how to read & enforce, the constitution.
Unlike COLORADO cops, afaik having over 63 counties refusing orders to confiscate firearms, on unfounded 209a accusations only!
They do not confiscate firearms because someone called a spade a spade.
In MA verbalizing facts = an Assault+Battery chg. & immediate 209a.
Well coached by its legal defense support drones w/in 24hrs.
Supporting the 2nd amendment is not a priority.

Having recently been cuffed in the back of 2 BOS suburb towns PD transport vechicles ive witnessed how well armed w/canned ARs w/ GTAPSCFMJ .223/556 ammo they patrol. Many just exited an armed service. IMO/Thats a standing army, is thats supposedly legally allowed in the USA. .../ right?sarcasm /

Looks like preparartion for something to me. Banks do not care about the paper cash.
Every loan they make is orchestrated by arbitrage opportunites devaluing our currency, not the international dollar. The national dollar based currency thsat tradfes in world markets(afaik)

Many financial luminaries claim the USAs inflation rate is over 5%, annually, realistically.
Read 'Enough' by JBogle, page xx/20.
I believe it, its dictating every 20yrs, $100.00 becomes 5.00.
Do the math, w/o capgains interest involved. I believe it.

Did not Greece seize every penny its banks major depositers had over (100k) was seized/reallocsated 5 yrs back iirc? I mean, you get out of bed to make it, should one not understand it also? AFAIK.

--- IIRC member LenS moved to N.H,.. I'd move also if I could, I would!
I do not want my MA firearms licenses anymore, they can keep it.
Its all ... legal theater, connections and money.
I see taxation in MA run rampart these days, on food, clothing under 175.00, etc. ....SAD.
Seems lifes P.C till reality* happens. Then throw the first responders under the bus.

Did Bill & Hillary get out of jail yet?---said WarrenBuffet @ the 94 shareholders meeting.
Is all about positioning, leverage, who one knows & $$$.
My rants over.
Check its claims out if your interested.

Good luck & best wishes to the NES crew.......

B79CE5F1-FFDD-4751-A0DF-54201121F361.gif

Yes, that is my collection of rifles.
Both the Savage Model 10FMCL (.308Win) and the Savage MKII GL (.22LR) are excellent rifles.

Is there a statement by omission we can presume about the M1A scout with the spiffy paint job? Is it not excellent too (as I'd like to think it is other than that it's heavy)?
And no comment on the scouterized 10/22?

Last edited:
Is there a statement by omission we can presume about the M1A scout with the spiffy paint job? Is it not excellent too (as I'd like to think it is other than that it's heavy)?
And no comment on the scouterized 10/22?
No statement by omission.
You originally asked about the lefty guns:
Well that escalated quickly.

@Andy in NH you appear to be a connoisseur of sorts, presuming this is your collection of scout rifles. What are your impressions of these (lefty?) guns?
The M1A Scout is an excellent rifle.
I suppose "heavy" is a relative term.
The rifle is limited by the low power scope.
Using "redneck elevation" I was able to easily make hits on man-size steel out to 400 yards.
Beyond that the thick portion of the vertical crosswire obscured the target too much to get a sight picture.
That rifle was obtained before the new generation of AR-10s were on the market, so securing one of those might be a better way to go today?

The 10/22 "Cub Scout" is another nice rifle.
I fired a Rifleman's score three times on the first day of an Appleseed Shoot with that rifle.

I am running a Ruger gunsite scout in .308 with a Burris fixed 2.75 scout scope monted forward of the reciever. It is my go to rifle for Vermont deer season. For me I can get accurate shots off quicker than irons. I also have a handload that the rifles loves. I have been able to get get sub MOA accuracy with 165gr Sierra game king with 43 gr IMR 4895.

Attachments

• 16360217921842446950733430898888.jpg
    16360217921842446950733430898888.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 17
4649D576-642C-4EC3-977B-0E253281D99D.jpeg
well with the preference to the AR-10 platform. I’d imagine an 18” barreled 6.5 creedmoor might be the ticket. No glass in this photo, but it’s wearing a leupold Mk4 these days. Whole setup is 8.4 pounds. So it’s within what you guys are talking about. But with the break, and 18” barrel, everyone knows and looks when it goes off.

Back
Top Bottom