• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

should i have a glock slide mos cut, or

greencobra

NES Member
just buy one factory cut already? i'm skinflinting here....to be totally transparent. i'd like to mount an optic on a g19, i have a bunch of parts collected over the years and also a new swenson slide i could have cut. haven't talked to a gunsmith yet but do you think i'd save a buck having the swenson cut or just buy a factory done glock slide? did i mention i'm asking for a friend? [wink]

If I was getting milled I’d get it cut for specific optic that way there are no intermediate plates to deal with.
Totally this. If you already have a slide that's not dedicated to an existing build, I would get it cut for the optic I intend to put on it, unless you're going to sell the current one to fund one that comes precut.

Same. The lower the optic the better IMO.
This. Mo' school bus, mo' problems. Get your mass low and you'll have a better time.

Also, everything is hard to get right now, and expensive. A slide in hand is a known quantity. If it's already known to be worth the money, then it's worth paying to modify.

If I was getting milled I’d get it cut for specific optic that way there are no intermediate plates to deal with.
I'm going to disagree here. Unless it's a personal defense firearm, in which case, go with a hi quality RMR optic and have the slide milled for it. Otherwise, getting it milled to accept Glock MOS plates gives you more variety. I'm planning to send out my G41 to have it milled for the MOS plates. I'm doing this because I already have plates from other MOS Glocks, and right now I happen to have a Burris FF3 optic to put on it. I would never get the slide milled for the Burris, because I know I'll upgrade it someday to a better dot, just not in the near future. I tried to save money and bought the EGW plate that slides into the dovetail, but I don't like it because the dot is too high. Plus, I don't like the way it looks with the extra plate on top of the slide. I wish I'd put that $50 towards just getting the slide milled in the first place.

FedEx is delivering my RMR and a set of suppressor height sights from Brownell’s tomorrow. Going to have an OEM G17 slide milled for it locally. Factoring in the cost of the plates and not anticipating a need to change out the dot, I like this option.

Lol I would take the optic off and peen the adapter directly into a trash can. ;)

Ha Ha... I have plenty of slides that have been milled for optic plates - Most of my CZs have the CZ Custom plate system on them.
I also have a couple of OEM Glock MOS guns.

This was a cheap beat to hell Gen 2 G17, Nothing could have been worse than the stock plastic sights anyway and it was before I had my other guns milled. It was an experiment to see if I would like a red dot. It's held up for close to 5 years - couple of thousand rounds. I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

thanks, got some ideas. I've got no experience with this.. when I picked up the slide I wish I got the one cut...but hindsight, you know.

we're gonna need to talk again about the optic. anyone want to jump in and tell me what you all are using?

I’ve got both Vortex Venom and Burris Fastfire III. Neither are the best of the best, but they work well and have no questions asked lifetime warranty replacement.

thanks, got some ideas. I've got no experience with this.. when I picked up the slide I wish I got the one cut...but hindsight, you know.

we're gonna need to talk again about the optic. anyone want to jump in and tell me what you all are using?

Few questions:

(1) What are you using the gun and optic for?
(2) How good are you at remembering to change batteries?
(3) How tough of an optic do you want? Is this going to be a range-only gun or more?

I would say this
If dont know what optic you want or may change get a cut with the most options?
Price out a pre cut slide vs cost of having the work done.
If the cost of a pre cut is not far off the machine work get a pre cut. This way you can swap slides for irons and optic.
As much as my eyes are fading I still just dont like optics on hand guns,
Well maybe poking out to 300 yards with a SW 500 or something?

Ive also debated this.
But for guns that dont have the cut.
I.e. my usp. Hk45, both berettas.
Conteplating buying new slides for each, so i can keep the numbers matching one all original w/o damage.

Stupid, i know

A new Brownells RMR cut slide for a G19 runs $250 when they have them in stock. It will probably be tough to find a new milled slide in stock somewhere.
C+H Precision will mill an RMR cut on your slide for $150, + $30 to refinish the slide = $180.

I would still recommend getting your G19 slide milled for MOS plates.

Ive also debated this.
Conteplating buying new slides for each, so i can keep the numbers matching one all original w/o damage.

Stupid, i know
Not stupid , many options is good

Ive also debated this.

Stupid, i know

Not stupid... that's what i've done for all of mine. Kept the original slide as is - to keep the numbers matching. Picked up used slides and had them milled.

Except for one... the slide was beat and mangled from the previous owner, so I was fine getting that slide milled.

just buy one factory cut already? i'm skinflinting here....to be totally transparent. i'd like to mount an optic on a g19, i have a bunch of parts collected over the years and also a new swenson slide i could have cut. haven't talked to a gunsmith yet but do you think i'd save a buck having the swenson cut or just buy a factory done glock slide? did i mention i'm asking for a friend? [wink]
One option, you are left with one slide.
The other option, you have two slides.
Two slides become two guns.

So ... I would normally say go with a new slide.

But, because you are skinflinting, price it out. It is full of companies that will cut slides, some do impressive work.

Back
Top Bottom