Should I buy a SA 1911 Mil Spec after work today? (Update, I bought it)

Haha yeah, I didn't even think to ask anyone to shoot their 1911, and my buddy had his Kimber with him. I have a membership at Pelham, not sure how far that is for you.

Pelham's probably under an hour for me, which is EZ mode. Half the time I'm going up to MFL anyways so Pelham is actually a bit closer.

The good thing if you buy it, and don't end up liking it, that gun can probably be rolled and you will make all your money back easy, worst case....

-Mike

Op, you should buy it. That is what chatrooms are for, to answer your basic questions that you cannot handle yourself by your own intellect.

Buy it. Great price for a gun you can't buy new in mass. I have the same one. The hammer bite sucks and you can't easily upgrade the beaver tail or the sites without involving a gunsmith. Even so it's a great classic-looking firearm and worth having in your collection

Well then I better stay out of the conversation then. I have 53 years of shooting experience but fairly new to the net and net personalities. Later guys.

Cryptic, passive agressive post is still cryptic... are you related to Marty?

(NSFW)

Dude nobody said you couldn't comment, if you want to, go right ahead. I closed the other thread because it was pretty obvious you were trolling there and nobody was going to change your mind, so I just stopped the pain for everyone involved.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a shooter to me! My 1911 is both my favorite and oddly enough, least expensive, gun I currently own.

Just got back from the range. I think this thing may turn me into a 1911 shooter, haha. I still prefer the feel on a Glock in my hand when manipulating the controls, but I was very happy with how it shot.

Just got back from the range. I think this thing may turn me into a 1911 shooter, haha. I still prefer the feel on a Glock in my hand when manipulating the controls, but I was very happy with how it shot.

If you like the feel of the Glock in your hand, you might actually prefer the curved mainspring housing.

Enjoy the thing, you got a good price on it .
If she works for you and you enjoy shooting it ,you got a good one. [wink]
My friend bought a Remington R1 and he enjoys shooting it every bit as much as I enjoy shooting my E series that cost twice as much.

If you like the feel of the Glock in your hand, you might actually prefer the curved mainspring housing.

Basically, I can't naturally reach the slide stop lever with my right thumb. I have to reach for it. On a reload I can hit it with my left thumb if I want to drop the slide (as opposed to slingshotting the slide), but I noticed it most when locking the slide back without a mag in (for a cold range, for example)

Basically, I can't naturally reach the slide stop lever with my right thumb. I have to reach for it. On a reload I can hit it with my left thumb if I want to drop the slide (as opposed to slingshotting the slide), but I noticed it most when locking the slide back without a mag in (for a cold range, for example)

Well, that's the correct way, anyways, as a right hander, is to use your left thumb to hit the slide lock to release the slide. I only ever use the right thumb for admin BS (like unloading the gun/locking the slide open to verify clear, etc.)

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, that's the correct way, anyways, as a right hander, is to use your left thumb to hit the slide lock to release the slide. I only ever use the left thumb for admin BS (like unloading the gun/locking the slide open to verify clear, etc.)

-Mike

That's really weird. I wear a men's small glove and the only pistol I had an issue hitting the slide release with my right thumb (right handed) was a Glock, because the things have tiny and stiff slide releases. My dad however has larger hands and he uses his left hand to hit the slide release if he's ready to shoot. I love the BHP and 1911 slide release. I once had a Makarov... that thing was fun, it took like a gentle breath to get that thing to release.

That's why they make extended releases and safeties for 1911's... I have them on my 1911 as well as my father's race gun I inherited. Both 1911's also have ambi thumb safeties.

That's really weird. I wear a men's small glove and the only pistol I had an issue hitting the slide release with my right thumb (right handed) was a Glock, because the things have tiny and stiff slide releases. My dad however has larger hands and he uses his left hand to hit the slide release if he's ready to shoot. I love the BHP and 1911 slide release. I once had a Makarov... that thing was fun, it took like a gentle breath to get that thing to release.

I meant to say "right" thumb for admin BS. Usually I just flip the gun slightly, while still pointing downrange, and lock it open that way. On the Kimber I had that wasnt a POS (which I sold, unfortunately, LOL) I had a kings extended and I could do it without flipping, but the problem is if its extended too much it gets to the point where its almost interfering with the safety lever and you have a whole other ergonomics problem to deal with. If building a custom gun I'd put a slightly extended lock on a 1911, but I wouldn't go too far... it's pretty much unnecessary.

-Mike

Last edited:
That's why they make extended releases and safeties for 1911's... I have them on my 1911 as well as my father's race gun I inherited. Both 1911's also have ambi thumb safeties.

Neither of those controls are an issue, it's just that I can't reach the slide stop lever from a natural shooting position on it, but I can on my Glocks. It's just a hair too far away, so I need to "reach" for it, by essentially rotating the gun (muzzle) to the left a bit.

Yep. I use a WC extended slide release on my DW PM9 for easier/quicker reloads in IDPA. Makes a huge difference. All I had to do was dremel a bit of material off (yes dremel a $35 part) to keep it from hitting the grips when I press it down.

Back
Top Bottom