Shotguns on Yachts

For those who may not know, it's somewhat traditional to use a gun to signal the starts, and sometimes finishes, of yacht races. There are cute little brass cannons for firing 12 gauge blanks, but shotguns are often used, and that's what I'm asking about. I've never heard of any LEO intervention, but I have two questions (mostly thinking about Connecticut):

1) Where would it be legal, and where illegal? For example, it's forbidden to discharge a firearm outdoors in Stamford. Would that prohibit the use of the shotgun in the harbor? How far offshore would you have to be?

2) What about NY? I know we have started a race in CT, then the same boat goes across the Sound for a finish in NY. Is it a legal problem to take the gun into NY waters?

For what it's worth, there would never be any ammo except the signaling blanks.

I don't believe either state prohibits possession of a non-AW long gun without a license. The laws of the local governments would likely be the main concern.

Since you are in the water, and the ocean at that, wouldn't the national laws pertain more so then local? I would contact a Coast Guard Unit.

I have a feeling that would depend how far you are from land.

IE territorial limit was as I remember it (IE I could be wrong) was 12 miles.
http://www.answers.com/topic/territorial-waters

although I have heard other countries claim 200 miles beyond land as their territorial limits.

Look it up to be sure.

Since you are in the water, and the ocean at that, wouldn't the national laws pertain more so then local? I would contact a Coast Guard Unit.

Back
Top Bottom