• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun for Trap - Recommendations?

Hi All,

I'm still waiting for my LTC to come in and i have been doing research on handguns, .22s, rifles, etc. The hard part for me is to find much information on an affordable shotgun for both Hunting and Trap.

Can someone recommend some affordable (under $1,000) shotguns for this sport to a newby like myself?

Affordable Over/Under Shotgun:___________

Affordable Semi-Auto (5 Rounds):__________

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU!

First....try before you buy. A shotgun is different from a rifle or pistol, as you're part of the system.

Fit of the shotgun, both physical and mental is crucial.

You can drop a grand on the "perfect" gun and never be satisfied, or $300 on a used gun that fits, and crush the birds.

Visit your club, and talk to the Trapezoids. Tell them what you want to do. Remember that you may want to do other stuff than Trap, and a specialized Trap gun might not be your best choice. Most Trapezoids are happy to show off and share their toys, and if you find that an 1100 is a good fit, go get a used one. Maybe a Browingn OU will be your perfect match. It's not doable without trying them on.

IMO, you'll do better buying a less expensive gun, and using the remaining money to buy ammo. My general rule of thumb is that when one bird of 100 makes a difference, then you might be ready for a "real" trap gun. I shoot a variety of old field guns, and I have never lost a bird due to the gun.

You'll get plenty of opinions and most will be right (even if they're contradictory!) [laugh]

Oh....and don't be affraid to ask for advice. Most Trapezoids are willing to help, but reticent to offer......though I've seen a few that are more than happy to offer unsolicited advice.

Enjoy the Orange Kool-Aid ! [laugh]

Hi All,

I'm still waiting for my LTC to come in and i have been doing research on handguns, .22s, rifles, etc. The hard part for me is to find much information on an affordable shotgun for both Hunting and Trap.

Can someone recommend some affordable (under $1,000) shotguns for this sport to a newby like myself?

Affordable Over/Under Shotgun:___________

Affordable Semi-Auto (5 Rounds):__________

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

THANK YOU!

Rem 1187 Sportsman. Cheap, reliable and a good shooter.

I would highly recommend the Remington 11-87. Its an awesome 12 gauge semi auto for trap. I got mine brand new on black friday for $ 399. Best deal I have ever made.
1187a.jpg 1187.jpg photo copy 9.jpg

Bought a Remington 1100 Trap and it is a great semi-auto gun.

But be aware that buying a trap gun is like sex... once is not enough. You will only wet your whistle for the next step up the ladder.

:)

Maybe look at shotguns with changeable barrels. I love my Marlin 120 12 gauge. I have a long full choke barrel for duck & geese, and a "deerslayer" barrel w/ rifle sights for deer. It is a pump, which has always been my preference. It takes two minutes to change the barrels.

PLEASE do this. In the long run you'll be happier (and quite a bit wealthier). Finding the right shotgun that fits is the most important part to Trap and any other shotgun sports. And believe it or not it's the cheapest part of the equation if you stick with Trap or any other Shot Sport.

Say you shoot 6 rounds of Trap per week (not a lot but is pretty average). And you really like it. So you shoot most every weekend. At my Club it's $3 a round, plus shells average $5 per round. So thats $48 per week. You shoot 46 weeks per year, thats over $2200 in just costs. Now when I started out I shot both Sat and Sundays and averaged more that 6 per week. Some people will shoot less.

So finding the right gun is the most important part and after a while the cheapest part of this crazy world. And for the love of God do not try 5 stand or Sporting Clays. Cuz then you'll need yet another Safe filler. Ask me how I know. Good luck and if you're ever in the NH/MA seacoast area I have a few you can try to see if you like any of them.

First....try before you buy. A shotgun is different from a rifle or pistol, as you're part of the system.

Fit of the shotgun, both physical and mental is crucial.

You can drop a grand on the "perfect" gun and never be satisfied, or $300 on a used gun that fits, and crush the birds.

Visit your club, and talk to the Trapezoids. Tell them what you want to do. Remember that you may want to do other stuff than Trap, and a specialized Trap gun might not be your best choice. Most Trapezoids are happy to show off and share their toys, and if you find that an 1100 is a good fit, go get a used one. Maybe a Browingn OU will be your perfect match. It's not doable without trying them on.

IMO, you'll do better buying a less expensive gun, and using the remaining money to buy ammo. My general rule of thumb is that when one bird of 100 makes a difference, then you might be ready for a "real" trap gun. I shoot a variety of old field guns, and I have never lost a bird due to the gun.

You'll get plenty of opinions and most will be right (even if they're contradictory!) [laugh]

Oh....and don't be affraid to ask for advice. Most Trapezoids are willing to help, but reticent to offer......though I've seen a few that are more than happy to offer unsolicited advice.

Enjoy the Orange Kool-Aid ! [laugh]

My god such a evil dilemma,,,,,ok so are you going to be hunting more and using trap for warm up to hunting birds.
I for one will vote for a good old remington 870 wing master.
1. there's tons of barrels to choose from
2. you can find replacement stocks of different configurations.....length of pull, style of comb, synthetic for hunting ? I have 4 different stocks for my 870.
3. There's no shortage of parts------just buy a 2nd or 3rd gun
4. Go to local trap range ALL but the most snooty shooters tend to let you try guns. I did this for 2 years before I decided on a browning citori trap ultra XT model with adjustable comb.
5. for a small investment you can have a regular stock fitted with a adjustable comb,recoil pad ect ect.
6. Get out and shoot what ever you can get your hands on and see if you like trap or hunting for that matter.

Don't sweat the gun fit thing right now. If you are shooting with bad form and lacking fundamentals well you gun will fit to your short comeings.

A shotgun with the most adjustability from the get go is good.
I have shot and one several club leagues with my 870 express its also my go to gun to down winged or 4 legged game.

For trap I think a raise comb that runs parallel to the bore is a good place to start for trap this keeps you eye(rear sight) closer to the same height vs a comb that drops

Stay away from low end over unders like Stoger and Mossburg Silver reserve. The barrels are often poorly regulated, the top and bottom don't have the same point of aim. Stick with a over/under that starts with 'B' and like others have said, try before you buy.

Take a look at the Beretta A3901 or the new A300 - there is no new O/U under $1000 that I can recommend in good conscience. Both of the above should run you well under $1000 leaving $$ for ammunition. Don't just settle for the 1100 or 11-87 - there are better guns out there at nearly the same price point and either of the two above will outshoot you for quite a while.

I have an older H&R over under that I use. I like it better than any of the brownings, mossbergs, or benellis that I have. Its cheap and accurate

Please check the price on Browning Citori, especially the XT. They start at $2.6K and work their way up. For the record, I own one with adjustable stock and love it!

although not the hidden jem they once where....old school charles daley and miroku's are great also

I use a Browning Cynergy Classic Field, which I would highly recommend. As for semi-auto's, I don't own any but my grandfather has a Remington 11-87 and Browning Auto-5 (16ga and 12ga respectively). They've worked great for him all these years, I'd go with those or a Benelli. The new A-5's look quite interesting.

Check out one of the best buy's in Shotguns, the Lanbers on pages 48-51. Lots of gun for the money, well made, reliable and a 50 year history of shotgun making in the Pyrennies Mountains of Spain. Check out the online reviews, lots of very satisfied owners. For the money they can't be beat.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Back
Top Bottom