• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trap gun recommendation - steel shot

Boston404

NES Member
Hi Everyone,
Looking to do some casual trap shooting and required to use steel shot. Any particular recommendations... Remington 870 or 1100...?

Thanks in advance

Not to sound flippant, but whatever feels right to you.

Personally, I prefer an auto, as it reduces the felt recoil.

My best advice (that I give often) is to visit your club where you're required to use steel, and see if anyone is running an 870, or 1100. Tell them that you're trying to decide, and you may very well be offered the chance to try it.

Whatever you get, make sure it has choke tubes, so when you go to a lead-shooting club you can swap out.

Either one will be fine.

Oh, yeah. Go with whatever feels right to you. No fit, no hit.

Enjoy the Orange Kool-Aid. [laugh]

Wait, you are asking which shotgun to use with your steel shot? Most find the gun that is comfortable for them and then try a bunch of steel shot for which one patterns the best out of that gun.

If you're stuck on these two models, there's a synthetic Monte Carlo stock on ebay right now for short money. It would help. As mentioned above, fit is everything.
(I have no connection to the ebay listing)

Plenty of clubs out there that don't require steel shot. that's the first thing I would probably look for.

Just be aware that 1187 and 1100 mag and super mags don't cycle light target rounds easy. Steel shot may be ok as they are heavier but from experience, you may have to extract manually.

get an over under.. look sexy in your high socks and newbalances baby

But i do really like my o/u solid bird gun too

Was like 4 bones so idgaf if it gets scuffed or dinged but she shoots great

Makes no sense. An ounce of steel and an ounce of lead should be the same.
I would think the same but the inertia driving back the bolt is somehow different. Might be just be me but my remmys don't eject with lead shells but there is enough force with steel to throw 3 feet away. <shrug>

How old are you?
I used to shoot my 870 pump for everything, then got tired of policing my spent hulls .
O/I I just grab the shells and trow them in the bucket or pouch.
Doesn't seem like a big deal until your chasing 100 of them around the field.

Hi Everyone,
Looking to do some casual trap shooting and required to use steel shot. Any particular recommendations... Remington 870 or 1100...?

Thanks in advance
Two different guns. What do you like? Either will do the job.

I personally don’t prefer steel.

Ive shot trap a bunch. Currently rocking a benelli ethos.

But I’ve shot with a cheap field gun, 870, 1100, a sxs and a few others.

If I had more $$$ o/u browning citori

Seems the big issue with steel is the choke not the gun.

Although it's definitely the Indian,.. proper fit is the key. Guys showing up with your choices can get it done, but most don't settle on these models long term. You'll end up with two shotguns - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Makes no sense. An ounce of steel and an ounce of lead should be the same.
The "heavier" refers to the powder charge/energy. Steel has to be thrown faster, to keep equivalent energy at the target, when compared to lead. Since it's less dense, it decelerates and loses energy more quickly than lead.

It's noticeable, both in terms of the volume of the report, and the recoil.

Is this common?
I don't think I've ever heard of a club requiring steel for trap or any other clay shooting.

Steel shot lighter then lead, 7/8 or 1 oz and they faster 1325-1350 vs 1200
Also steel ammo required choke M ( modified) or wider
1100 I would prefer

Think I'm going to land on the Beretta A300 Sporting
I’m really happy with my benelli ethos sport (30”)

I use it for trap, skeet and sporting clays.

Last time out doing sporting clays 3 others had the same gun (but with the plastic stock, mine is wood)

Over and under all day. Buy something cheap to start. I'm still using my Dad's old Churchill Chapin. He's bigger than me but it still "fits" me fine.

i know it is wrong thread - but the whole conversation of doing anything nice at harvard for trap setup, sorta self-dissipated?

Back
Top Bottom