• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

11 year old wants to shoot trap

so my son wants to get into trap this summer, not necessarily a team but going a couple times a month to a trap meet. He has experience shooting 22LR rifles but hasn’t handled anything bigger. Should I start him with a 20 gauge? Or do you think 12 gauge birdshot doesn’t have much recoil?

+1 on the light loads - but 20ga

Let him get the feel of tracking the bird before he has to swing an 8 pound gun around

If you opt for 20 gauge, realize the typical load for that shell is 7/8 ounce. Whereas the 12 gauge has 1 1/8 ounce. More shot, more chance of breaking clays. Go with a #8 or better yet, #9 shot. Increase the number of projectiles. Modified choke.

Nothing wrong starting off with 20 gauge. My wife shoots a 20. She is casual and dislikes the weight of my 12.

He will have a “blast” shooting at moving targets and probably become hooked on the sport.

Last edited:
He may also enjoy skeet... I would recommend an auto loader over a pump or double barrel to start. Most of the recoil is absorbed. Especially if you’re using factory loads. My daughters were able to handle that pretty well. While they were older than your son I suspect he would fair ok.

A semi-auto 12GA would have very light recoils, especially with Beretta 391 series. I would recommend them better than a 20Ga pump. Getting good break of target will encourage him to do more and better. The Beretta 391 is probably one of the best semi for starter. You need to find them used. Some used 391 are set up for trap with adjustable comb and pads.

New beretta models are A400 series if money is not an issue.

My younger son became a bird-crusher by the time he was 10. (Ran his first 25, went 49/50 in his first competition. Punk)

First - how big and strong is your son?
Second - is he "ready" shoot a round (or more) of Trap? By that I mean have the stamina and focus to do a round?

My kid started at ~7, with a 20 ga semi-auto with a cut-down buttstock. By the time he was 9, he'd graduated to a full-size 12 ga semi-auto. But, he was a big, strong kid.

Not sure where you are, but if you're in the Metrowest area, I'd be happy to help you. My Club has some Junior-sized 20s, that he could try.

A 20 will give you 20% fewer pellets, which will result in lower scores, so he should understand that a 20 will handicap him.

I'd do this with pretty much all new shooters, and all new kids: I lock the trap on straight-aways from station 3, and have them break a few. Then, with the trap still locked, I have them take a few from other stations. I go through a box. Then, I ask them how they're doing. If they're getting beaten up, it will make it a misery. If you're not used to it, it's tiring and can be uncomfortable.

If they're still game, I unlock the trap, and have them shoot a round, starting on station 3, ALONE. This way, they can take their time, and not worry about inconveniencing anyone, or being low gun.

I find it counter-productive to throw a new shooter into a regular round. No matter how understanding and patient the other shooters are, the new shooter will have additional pressure to "keep up" which will not help.

So - biggest gun they can handle. Regardless of gauge, use a semi-auto. Individual instruction, preferably from someone that has done it before. Keep it mellow. Safe, but mellow.

Someone thought I should chime in.....[laugh]

Contact Paul Pescatore. His a coach for a youth trap team that shoot at Minuteman Sportsman Club at Billerica/Burlington. They may a few Beretta semi-auto for new shooters to try.

James H.

(PS: this is from last year’s email)

—————-
To all of the supporters of the Minuteman Clay Crushers,

The team thanks you for your time, input and support for this past season and look forward to your continued participation in the 2023 junior trap season.

I ask you, one more time, to step forward for the team by participating in "Giving Tuesday". Midway foundation will match all contributions to our team.

On Tuesday November 29th, just go to endowment page "Team Profile - MidwayUSA Foundation" to reach our home page and make your donation.

Once again, thank you for your continued support of junior trap.

Best of the season,

Paul Pescatore
Coach
Minuteman Clay Crushers

My 14yo son started shooting trap at around 11. For him, the bigger issue was finding a shotgun light enough for him to swing, more than the recoil. We ended up with an older Franchi 48AL lightweight 20 gauge, then up to a CZ 20 OU, and finally onto the 12ga Beretta Auto he’s using now. My advice would be to put a few guns in his hand, and see what he is strong enough to swing.

Then be prepared to keep buying new shotguns. They grow FAST at this age!

Last edited:
NO 20 GA!! All you will do is frustrate the young person. Like what has been said 7/8 of an ounce versus 1 1/8 of an ounce big difference. Put him on the rifle range with a couple boxes of number 8 shot and let him get used to it and see if he still wants to shoot trap.

NO 20 GA!! All you will do is frustrate the young person. Like what has been said 7/8 of an ounce versus 1 1/8 of an ounce big difference. Put him on the rifle range with a couple boxes of number 8 shot and let him get used to it and see if he still wants to shoot trap.
I'd not be so vehement. Breaking fewer with a 20, is better than being beaten up by a 12, and deciding that it's no fun.

Part of the impetus for my kid moving from a 20 to a 12, was he knew that 21/22/23 was the best he could hope for with a 20, and he wanted to leave no survivors.

Is a 12 better than a 20 for Trap? Sure. But better to get them to drink the orange kool-aid, than go thirsty.

Thanks everyone for the info, lots to think about! Can't wait to get him started

Contact Paul Pescatore. His a coach for a youth trap team that shoot at Minuteman Sportsman Club at Billerica/Burlington. They may a few Beretta semi-auto for new shooters to try.

James H.

(PS: this is from last year’s email)

—————-
To all of the supporters of the Minuteman Clay Crushers,

The team thanks you for your time, input and support for this past season and look forward to your continued participation in the 2023 junior trap season.

I ask you, one more time, to step forward for the team by participating in "Giving Tuesday". Midway foundation will match all contributions to our team.

On Tuesday November 29th, just go to endowment page "Team Profile - MidwayUSA Foundation" to reach our home page and make your donation.

Once again, thank you for your continued support of junior trap.

Best of the season,

Paul Pescatore
Coach
Minuteman Clay Crushers
Thanks for this!

FWIW, "The Sporting Shoppe" (New Exit 7 on I-95, RI) is big on shot guns and usually has pallets of shot shell. Currently (as of last week), they will sell to out-of-staters that have a home state permit and DL with matching addresses.

@Solr83

I would check out a team nearby check here: Home - SSSF - Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation Even if he doesn't want to compete this year, the coaches has a wealth of info available to them. There were about 6-8 teams in the 495 area a few years ago.

I coached for a number of years and found the Remington 1100 competition nickel to be a great low(er) cost gun with adjustable stock and recoil reduction.

A semi with a spring recoil reduction shoots pretty soft, and everyone on the team shot 12 gauge, even the little kids

I found, but can't find now, a source for replacement youth stocks for the 1100 that went on pretty easily, I had a couple of them I swapped in and out for the team members as they grew.

Make sure the gun fits, my son shot a BT-99 youth and then an adult BT-99 and ran a 197/200 at the Junior Nationals a dozen years ago.

I started my grandson with 22 single shots at 11, 20g Browning A5 with recoil absorption at 12 years. Now at 13 he is stepping it up to light 12g loads with a Stevens 555. Kids got good eyes unlike mine! The interaction with adult men has been good for his development.

I started on a FIE Brazilian made 12 gauge at that age but I was a big kid. My brother in law made lighter loads for it too. The gun was a great way to learn gun safety. Those guns are remarkably well made. I just bought one second hand for $63 at Shooting Supply a couple of years ago. It was either a veteran’s discount or Father’s Day discount but I had to buy it.

@Solr83 You should contact Wally Bristol or Mike Hebert if you are near Tewksbury. They run an awesome youth team out of Tewksbury Rod & Gun Club. They will be at the trap range with the kids every Thursday at 5PM starting this week for the rest of the spring and summer. You should stop by.

Back
Top Bottom