shotgun choice?

no one else has mentioned winchester so i will i have a 1300 and a 1400 model. one is a pump and the other is semi auto. both shoot great and bring home the meat when my grandson and i go to the turkey shoots every week.

I have a Mossberg 500A 12 gauge, I've used it for just about everything with no issue. I just got a Knoxx SpecOps stock via UPS today, looking forward to some range time to test their claims of 95% recoil reduction.

You guys rock! -thank you!!

concerning the 'fit', do you agree with the following:
from: http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/articles/gun_fitting_article.html
" The shotguns that can be purchased off the rack at a gun shop are designed for “Joe Average”—a man who is between 5’8” and 5’10” and wears about a 33” dress shirt sleeve. However, if you sit in an airport and watch all the people come and go, how many people are men between 5’8” and 5’10”? Ten percent? Twenty percent? Personal gun measurements are very important, because we’re all built differently. The goal is ultimately to hit more targets. To accomplish this goal, it’s important to first accomplish a nice fluid gun mount. After a consistent gun mount has been accomplished (and that’s an entirely different discourse), the gun, when mounted, should easily come to the same place every time on the shooter’s shoulder and face, where the shotgun barrels are lined up right under the shooter’s dominant eye. Shotgun stocks are measured in several different ways:

* Length of pull: this is the distance between the trigger and the center of the gun butt. On a double gun, this distance is measured from the front trigger.
* Pitch: the angle of the butt in relation to the top of the barrel.
* Cast: the distance the centerline of the stock is offset to one side or another of the centerline of the barrel.
* Drop: the distance from the top of the barrel or rib to the top edge of the stock at the comb and the heel.

The “Joe Average” length of pull is around 14 ½” to 14 ¾”, and that’s the length of pull for most off-the-rack shotguns. A man who is 6’3” might need a 15 ½” or 15 ¾” length of pull. A 5’2” lady might need a 13 ½” length of pull. A petite lady shooting an off-the rack gun will have trouble shouldering it, and a big man will find it annoyingly short.

Pitch is important, because you want 100% of the surface area of the butt to fit snugly into your shoulder pocket. If the pitch is incorrect, the placement of your pattern will be adversely affected.

Drop is measured at both comb and heel, which means that if properly fitted, the gun aligns right below your eye without having to move your head up or down. The amount of drop at comb varies with the shape of the shooter’s face and the length of his or her neck. The same goes with the drop at heel—the goal is to instinctively mount the gun so that the top of the stock fits right at the top of the shoulder or just below it. This measurement is dependent on the length of the neck and the shape of the shoulders. Standard measurements for off-the-rack guns are 1 ½” drop at the comb and 2” to 2 ½” drop at the heel.

Most American shooters don’t even know what cast is, and that’s unfortunate, because it’s one of the most important measurements. If you take a good double gun and look from the butt of the stock down to the front bead sight, the stock should be slightly angled to the left or right from center. However, if you’re building pump guns or semi-autos for both left- and right-handed shooters, you don’t want any cast. A gun for a right-handed man with a square, blocky face might be properly set at ½” “cast off”—to the right. A gun built for a left-handed shooter with a narrow face might be “cast on” only ¼”.

While most people can have some degree of success shooting a factory gun built to “Joe Average” specs, they won’t be lighting the world on fire. However, if you pick up a gun that’s been customized to someone else’s measurements, unless that person is a body double for you, you won’t hit a thing. That’s how important a good set of measurements can be. On the other hand, if you have your gun customized to a good set of measurements from a good gun-fitter, your shooting will improve dramatically."

Get to a club that offers clay games. Try as many shotguns as you can and find one that fits you. Even if you end up spending more for the gun that fits you will save in the long run by not having bought a bunch of guns that do not fit or do not work for you.

Get to a club that offers clay games. Try as many shotguns as you can and find one that fits you. Even if you end up spending more for the gun that fits you will save in the long run by not having bought a bunch of guns that do not fit or do not work for you.

great advice and i'll look into local club events. -thx

to reply to the above info from the sxs site , I'd say that it's not germane to your situation. It talks about a "fluid mount." This is extremely important for wing shooting where you must shoulderandshoot...NOW! In trap, you are starting with the gun at the shoulder, and, if it doens't feel "right" there's no penalty for taking it down and re-setting it.

Most side-by-side shooting is of the upland bird variety (some would call them "fudds" but that's tarring with a broad brush), where a fluid, intuitive and precise mount is required for success.

I'm a 6-foot roundboy, and most "off the rack" pumps or autos fit me pretty well. My nicer doubles are from another era, and, when I'm using one of them, I have a completely different technique, due to the "old fashioned" stock dimensions.

Honestly, IMO, you're overthinking the question. If you're not buying a bespoke fine double, where a long, involved session with a professional fitter and a try-gun is involved, these details are not that important. If you're starting out: relax, try a few, pick one that fits you physically and mentally (and financially) and do some shooting. In a while, if you decide that Trap is the Meaning of Life (or skeet or whatever) then you'll have the information you need to go with a more-specialized gun.

As to the Gunbroker deal: unless you know that that gun will have the right fit, no it's not a good deal (not speaking about price). Until you find out if "Joe Average dimensions" are close enough for you I'd say don't buy a gun wihtout trying it on for size. Remember that a boot in your size from a different maker may or may not be comfortable and you may be taking it on a long hike. Try before you buy.

to reply to the above info from the sxs site , I'd say that it's not germane to your situation. It talks about a "fluid mount."... Try before you buy.

Thanks MisterHappy! - this is why I wanted to run that article by you guys....
Yea, one kind fellow has offered a swing by his club to do some 'trying'. If anyone else in the central MA area also has such a kind heart, I'll gladly pay for ammo used.
:)
There is a lot more to shotgun ergonomics than I thought...

Thanks MisterHappy! - this is why I wanted to run that article by you guys....
Yea, one kind fellow has offered a swing by his club to do some 'trying'. If anyone else in the central MA area also has such a kind heart, I'll gladly pay for ammo used.
:)
There is a lot more to shotgun ergonomics than I thought...

Davey,

There's as much to the ergonomics as you want. We have a number of shooters with adjustable-stock trap guns, and a couple that I (jokingly? enviously?) call "Termite guns" - all the wood on the stock has been eaten away, so that it can be more adjustable.

An off-the-rack suit will be good enough for most folks for most occasions; same with shotguns. One caveat: I "tried on for size" a Condor O/U at Dick's a whiel back ( attracted by the price) and, when I shouldered it, the bead was invisible behind the breech - the rib was too low. I asked to look at another "identical" gun, and the rib was ( I'd guess) 1/8" higher. So, you can see that even within one maker, there are variations.

The big makers know what size most of the purchasers are, and build accordingly - the erudite discourse on a perfectly fitting stock was, IM O, a slaes pitch ( though correct in its info.)

One other thing - make sure that you're not cross - eye dominant! (If you don't know, make an "OK" sign in your hand and extend it before you, both eyes open and look at a distant object. Close one eye, then the other. Whichever one sees the object through your fingers, that's your dominant eye). If you're a right-handed, left-eye shooter, you have some adjustments: If you try to shoot with your dominat eye, you'll have to contort yourself, or close your dominant eye ( both eyes open for shotgun shooting is generally preferable for a variety of reasons). Either that or shoot Lefty (Obviously, these are reversed for a left-handed shooter) In extreme cases, the custom makers will make a stock with a bend in it, so that you cna shoot left-eyed form teh right shoulder!

If Hopkinton is not too far for you , we're shooting Trap on Sunday, 1-4 and I'll be happy to let you try on a few...as will others, I'm sure!

To sum up:
12 ga - 3" chamber
28" barrel - screw chokes a plus - mod choke if fixed

pump or auto is your call - don't over look the O/U's & SxS's but understand they are a different animal than the pumps and autos.

There's your Do-all gun - the extra barrel, etc. is just icing

Any opinions on this shotgun? I got it for clays and pheasant hunting.

YOUR opinion is all that counts. I've told my kids: all the patches on your vest (or the cost of the gun in your case) are meaningless. It's how you shoot that counts.

If you smash the clays, and kill the pheasants, you've got a winner....If it looks nice, even better! [smile]

Have fun, and good shooting!

Just picked up my first one too....Beretta Silver Pigeon II 12 ga. 28"....can't wait to shoot it.

Any opinions on this shotgun? I got it for clays and pheasant hunting.

Thats a nice gun! I had one of those and traded it to a buddy for something stupid. I regretted it almost immediately ... and ever since

Last edited:
There is a decent semi auto shotgun in the WTS section today. It is not ideal for home defense since the barrel is so long however itcomes with different chokes and should work nicely for trap/skeet or hunting.

link: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...2734-WTS-WTT-H-K-import-Fabarm-Red-Lion-12-ga

p.s. I have no connection with seller just saw the post 2 min ago and thought I would pass it along. I recommend doing research before buying anything.

There is a decent semi auto shotgun in the WTS section today. It is not ideal for home defense since the barrel is so long however itcomes with different chokes and should work nicely for trap/skeet or hunting.

link: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...2734-WTS-WTT-H-K-import-Fabarm-Red-Lion-12-ga

p.s. I have no connection with seller just saw the post 2 min ago and thought I would pass it along. I recommend doing research before buying anything.

Thanks Tater!! - that IS a low cost entry point that may do what I need. I need to investigate field stripping and maintenance of all these possibilities so, much more homework to do. By the time I figure it out, that one will surely be gone but, thanks for the tip!!

Davey,

There's as much to the ergonomics as you want. We have a number of shooters with adjustable-stock trap guns, and a couple that I (jokingly? enviously?) call "Termite guns" - all the wood on the stock has been eaten away, so that it can be more adjustable.

An off-the-rack suit will be good enough for most folks for most occasions; same with shotguns. One caveat: I "tried on for size" a Condor O/U at Dick's a whiel back ( attracted by the price) and, when I shouldered it, the bead was invisible behind the breech - the rib was too low. I asked to look at another "identical" gun, and the rib was ( I'd guess) 1/8" higher. So, you can see that even within one maker, there are variations.

The big makers know what size most of the purchasers are, and build accordingly - the erudite discourse on a perfectly fitting stock was, IM O, a slaes pitch ( though correct in its info.)

One other thing - make sure that you're not cross - eye dominant! (If you don't know, make an "OK" sign in your hand and extend it before you, both eyes open and look at a distant object. Close one eye, then the other. Whichever one sees the object through your fingers, that's your dominant eye). If you're a right-handed, left-eye shooter, you have some adjustments: If you try to shoot with your dominat eye, you'll have to contort yourself, or close your dominant eye ( both eyes open for shotgun shooting is generally preferable for a variety of reasons). Either that or shoot Lefty (Obviously, these are reversed for a left-handed shooter) In extreme cases, the custom makers will make a stock with a bend in it, so that you cna shoot left-eyed form teh right shoulder!

If Hopkinton is not too far for you , we're shooting Trap on Sunday, 1-4 and I'll be happy to let you try on a few...as will others, I'm sure!

Thanks for all the help Mister Happy!
Luckily, I'm a right eye dom. right handed shooter. Hopkinton (I'm assuming your talking about Woodville?) is not far at all and, a friend of mine was just accepted as a member so, if you're talking Woodville, there's a good chance I can swing by....
THANK YOU!!

Actually, I was refering to Souhtborugh Rod & Gun Club

www.srgclub.com

There are three gun clubs in Hopkinton - Woodville, Hopkinton Sportmen's Assoc., and SRGC.

The other clubs have trap, but (not to sound partisan) SRGC does, I think, more Trap than the others. ( I know for a fact that we're all-weather trap - each Sunday, 1-4 .... not sure of the others' schedules - check their websites or call )

I've visited the others, and they're nice folks at both. If you let the trap folks at the places know that you're new to the game, they should be able to help you.

The offer still stand for you and your friend.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom