shotgun choice?

daveyburt

NES Member
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in picking up a shotgun for various uses. I'm not really familiar with variants/options but, I'd like a rig that can shoot skeet/trap as well as make a good hunting rig in case I decide to take that up in the future.

What would you suggest for a kit that can do it all, and do it all pretty well? I'm assuming this kit would include a few different barrels etc...

Any help in getting started on the right foot would be appreciated.

thx!!
-dave

If you're doing bird hunting or rabbit hunting I'd recommend an autoloader i.e. Remington 11-87 or 1100. Pumps will do for skeet, HD, deer hunting. Your really want a quick second shot just in case when doing upland bird or rabbit.

Most importnat consideration is how it fits. If it fits, that's the basis for eveything else. If not, no gun will perform well as since your eye is, in effect, the rear sight.

Go to your local gun store, and try on a bunch, without regard to make or model. Once you find a few that fit, THEN worry about brand and price.

If you get a gun with interchangable choke tubes, then a 26-28 inch barrel will be a good middle ground for Trap and hunting. Not, perhaps, "ideal", but a good starting point.

If you belong to a club, visit when they're shooting trap - most shooters are happy to let you try theirs on for size.

Remember, fit is more important than brand or price.

The Remington 870 comes as a Combo-Express. Set up for a deer barrel with open sights, and a bird barrel with interchangable choke. Great value. My first choice

A Mossberg 500 would do the same thing.

IMO a pump gun is not ideal for skeet shooting. Shooting doubles 4 of 8 positions will definitely be more difficult (not impossible) with a pump gun.

I agree that a Rem 1100 or 11/87 or one of the Benelli's are pretty versatile.(Benelli's definitely cost more money)

IMO a pump gun is not ideal for skeet shooting. Shooting doubles 4 of 8 positions will definitely be more difficult (not impossible) with a pump gun.

I agree that a Rem 1100 or 11/87 or one of the Benelli's are pretty versatile.(Benelli's definitely cost more money)

I agree. However, he's not going to get a versatile shotgun that's ideal for everything. Auto or pump comes down to preference and weight.

I have the 500 in 12g (26" w/chokes, 22" rifled w/scope, 18" cylindrical) and have used it for Pheasant, Deer, and trap. I have just bought the 20g (22" w/chokes, 22" rifled w/scope) model for my younger brother who will finally get to walk the fields armed this fall. If you are doing anything but skeet(quick 2nd for doubles) any shotgun (I like pumps) with interchangable barrels will last forever and will be multi functional. You can always upgrade with the auto if you want, but remember to get interchangable barrels.

I like the 1100, relatively cheap if you buy used and there are a lot of them available. I prefer the auto loader not just for a quick second shot, but also for the decrease in recoil. The 1100 (or 1187) is a good choice because of the vast array of after market parts available; you can tailor it to just any kind of shooting.

thanks!

I'll look into the fore mentioned models. I'm thinking an auto if the price is right but i'm not opposed to a pump. Versatility is a goal so add-on parts for each model is now my focus.

What is the most common shell length? It seems like shell availability would be prudent investigation....

thanks and keep dem opinions coming.
-dave

thanks!

What is the most common shell length? It seems like shell availability would be prudent investigation....

98% of the time you'll be shooting 2 3/4" shells

the other 2% you'll shoot 3". . . that said, the 1100 doesn't take 3", but you'll find loads that work just as well in 2 3/4". I really only use 3" when goose hunting

The "most common" length is 2 3/4. You can fire a shorter shell in a longer chamber, (e.g 2 3/4 in a 3" chamber), but not the reverse. The 3 and 3 1/2" shells are more powerful, generally for hunting (clays die nicely with the 2 3/4" shells!)

As you can tell from the above posts, everyone has an opinion, and everyone's right....It's whatever works best for you. All of the guns mentioned are good potential choices.

The autos will give you less perceived recoil, but are heavier, in general. NRA's training program recommends that new shooters start out with autos, mostly for the recoil reason.

Best bet is to test drive a few before you buy.

thanks!

I'll look into the fore mentioned models. I'm thinking an auto if the price is right but i'm not opposed to a pump. Versatility is a goal so add-on parts for each model is now my focus.

thanks and keep dem opinions coming.
-dave

I've seen 1100 or 1187 combos reasonably priced lately at Dicks. I'd check around too with a few other manufacturers to see how they fit. You'll save money buying a combo all at one time. I recommend a cantilever type rifle barrel for deer if your into scopes or red dots sightng systems.

Most guns take 3" shells....but in reality, you'll use 2 3/4 shells much more often. There really isn't much difference between the two, I find the 3" shells to be obnoxious to shoot recoil wise.........I've killed plenty of deer with my 20 gauge 11/87 with just 2 3/4" shells. It is finicky though, it doesn't like remington sabots at all, but shoots hornady sabots really well. In the new rifle barrels they recommend sabot slugs...that's all I've shot. However, I am going to try regular foster type slugs at the range and see how they do...because they are waaaay cheaper to shoot.

Like everyone said, all the major models are going to have interchangeable barrels. Auto loader or pump, Remington or Mossberg, it's going to come down to preference and price. There's nothing wrong with a used shotgun either, especially if it saves you quite a bit of dough.

Personally I have a Mossy 835 with the 3.5" chamber. It came with a 20" interchangeable choke barrel for turkey, but I also bought an 18.5" smoothbore for HD. They make 26" and 28" bird/trap barrels and a 24" rifled barrel for this model.

I have both Mossy 500 and Rem 870 (with both barrels, field/slug), and I actually like using the 500 better. The 870 is much nicer, and newer, but the 500's action is really broke in, loose feeling, functions without even thinking about it, and the safety, being up top on the receiver, is much more natural on/off when shouldering (JMHO).
I bought the 870 express combo for my son (so, it is really his) and it is of much better quality. Steel receiver, nicer wood, a cool matte coating, and the safety is on the trigger guard which is beneficial if you ever want to think about aftermarket pistol grip stocks. The 870 is tighter actioned (newer) and quieter. When I hunt with the 500, one hand carry, I try to keep a little thumb pressure on the forestock to keep it from "clacking".

also, my mossy holds 5+1 of either 2 3/4" or 3", the 870 is only 4+1.

good stuff guys....appreciated!!

after a day of thinking about it, i'm leaning a little more to a semi....but, that could change again the more i find out.

budget: well, i'm very frugal BUT, i don't mind spending on the right thing.

This purchase, along with any firearm purchase of mine, is meant for the long haul. I'm done with the days of buying cheap and having to replace it in short time....or be kicking myself for NOT spending the extra 200-300 bucks and getting the right thing.

your thoughts are appreciated!!
Thx!
-dave

good stuff guys....appreciated!!

after a day of thinking about it, i'm leaning a little more to a semi....but, that could change again the more i find out.

budget: well, i'm very frugal BUT, i don't mind spending on the right thing.

This purchase, along with any firearm purchase of mine, is meant for the long haul. I'm done with the days of buying cheap and having to replace it in short time....or be kicking myself for NOT spending the extra 200-300 bucks and getting the right thing.

your thoughts are appreciated!!
Thx!
-dave

John at C & F Guns put a Millet red dot scope on a factory 19" Saiga-12 and said he was doing overlapping holes at 50 yards with cheap Remington slugs. Saiga's go for around $600.

Last edited:
Most importnat consideration is how it fits. If it fits, that's the basis for eveything else. If not, no gun will perform well as since your eye is, in effect, the rear sight.

Go to your local gun store, and try on a bunch, without regard to make or model. Once you find a few that fit, THEN worry about brand and price.

If you get a gun with interchangable choke tubes, then a 26-28 inch barrel will be a good middle ground for Trap and hunting. Not, perhaps, "ideal", but a good starting point.

If you belong to a club, visit when they're shooting trap - most shooters are happy to let you try theirs on for size.

Remember, fit is more important than brand or price.

MisterHappy is giving the best advice you can get. This will save you LOTS of money and aggravation by testing out as many as you can for comfort and fit to your body and shooting style. Nothing worse than going through 3 or 4 shotguns before you find what fits you and you can shoot well.

Back
Top Bottom