Shot Spotter

Oh, I wish I had sold this system! [rofl]

An acoustic device to track gunfire location, in Troy NY, just over the mountain from Northern Berkshire:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Troy-s-ShotSpotter-to-be-silenced-3994808.php

"...the system never achieved what it was suppose to do when the city installed it for $250,000 in 2009 using drug forfeiture money to cover the cost. "It wasn't reliable," (Chief) Tedesco said.
It also was expensive, the chief said. Moving one of the listening devices, he said, cost $6,500.
The system was suppose to become attuned to the way sounds were heard in Troy's streets and differentiate among the brakes of a truck climbing the Hoosic Street hill, from a firecracker, actual shots and any other noise....

...the system never achieved what it was suppose to do when the city installed it for $250,000 in 2009 using drug forfeiture money to cover the cost.

$250,000 of drug money forfeiture that probably took $1,000,000 worth of cops, lawyers, and paramilitary equipment to collect. [thinking]

Troy, a.k.a Troylet the home of Uncle Sam ... my old college town. [smile] Most of the shootings happen in North Troy which should be fenced off anyways, the only shooting that happens downtown Troy is RPI students puking their guts out.

Figures Troy NY, I qas born & raised there [thinking] although doesn't surprise me in the least! they always liked "technology" to waste money on! [rofl]

This thread got my hopes up [sad2]

I got excited thinking it might be another "send it" thread

I listen to Brockton P.D on the scanner and shot spotter seems to work well.
They know what address and even what side of the house the gunfire came from.
Helps them look for brass also.
Only downside is fireworks seem to set it off but the dispatch will usually know if it's fireworks when they send a cruiser.

We open windows on opposite sides of our building in SoBOS and can do pretty good on spotting shots. Hard to tell if they're hits though...

I was on Gallivan blvd in Dorchester last week and noticed some odd cylindrical object up on a pole at the corner of Pleasant Hill Ave.
Didn't know what it was, so I did some searching and it looks like a Shot-Spotter listening post.
Here's a pic I found online, it looks like the object on top of this pole:

main-qimg-235ae8087f2a6c3663b73ce3cfc0bf12-lq

Anyone else notice any of these things around ???

I was on Gallivan blvd in Dorchester last week and noticed some odd cylindrical object up on a pole at the corner of Pleasant Hill Ave.
Didn't know what it was, so I did some searching and it looks like a Shot-Spotter listening post.
Here's a pic I found online, it looks like the object on top of this pole:

main-qimg-235ae8087f2a6c3663b73ce3cfc0bf12-lq

Anyone else notice any of these things around ???
Boston has had shot spotter for years. It was one of the first cities to go in on it. They did murder pan deadchester first then moved up expanding the system over time to include just about the whole city. Any activations dispatch rolls whatever units are close by with the announcement of shot spotter activation location is street address and nearest cross streets.
As of 2017 Boston traffic management center has 297 cameras they operate for traffic management, 197 cameras owned by massdot they can access and 93 bpd owned cameras that the traffic center can access.

The Shot Spotter in Springfield works really well, and is always going off.
Why is Springfield so hood?

Is it just because it’s the remains of a once prosperous mill city like so many others in New England that are now ghettos or are there other factors that lead to it being the way it is?

Boston has had shot spotter for years. It was one of the first cities to go in on it. They did murder pan deadchester first then moved up expanding the system over time to include just about the whole city. Any activations dispatch rolls whatever units are close by with the announcement of shot spotter activation location is street address and nearest cross streets.
As of 2017 Boston traffic management center has 297 cameras they operate for traffic management, 197 cameras owned by massdot they can access and 93 bpd owned cameras that the traffic center can access.

I knew Boston has had the system for a long time, this thread was started 10 years ago, I bumped it because I had never actually seen one of the devices before, now I know what they look like and I'll keep my eyes open for others.

I thought those were the 5g antennas or something like that. I remember seeing them in Boston a couple years back when I was driving through. can’t remember the neighborhood.

I guess they use it to tell the police were not to go!

If they use that in Chicago I would hate to pay the electric bill for it!

Is it just because it’s the remains of a once prosperous mill city like so many others in New England that are now ghettos or are there other factors that lead to it being the way it is?
The combination of Dr Seuss and basketball had some unintended consequences.

I remember Springfield from back in the late 70's, it still looks the same way it did then, but with less abandoned and stripped-out cars on the streets.

There are also issues with shot spotter microphones recording conversations.

Once installed, ShotSpotter sensors record audio 24/7, storing recordings for 30 hours (down from 72 hours) until they are overwritten on a rolling basis.[27] The eavesdropping devices record anything they hear, including conversations conducted at normal volume up to 50 feet away, according to ShotSpotter’s own engineer when testifying under oath.[28] Once recorded, those conversations could be searched manually and preserved for later use.[29] There are at least two cases of ShotSpotter voice recordings being used in court. In 2007, a California court allowed a voice recording captured by ShotSpotter as evidence in a murder trial.[30] In 2012, a Massachusetts court ruled that ShotSpotter’s recording of a conversation violated the Massachusetts’s Wiretap Act.[31] Like many states, Massachusetts’s wiretapping ban goes beyond tapping phone lines and other communication platforms, also outlawing bugging locations with secret microphones.

I knew Boston has had the system for a long time, this thread was started 10 years ago, I bumped it because I had never actually seen one of the devices before, now I know what they look like and I'll keep my eyes open for others.
They don’t all look the same, the ones in Worcester looked more like a thin square-ish box versus the cylinder shape shown above. A lot of times you’d see them mounted on light poles.

The Pittsfield Police and ShotSpotter wanted to put a sensor on one of my buildings and after a long series of emails I told them I didn’t want to be involved and that my position was that they were violating the Massachusetts Constitution.

I thing the ShotSpotter is on a utility pole across from my building.

I’ll get a pic of what I think is the ShotSpotter.

The locations of shotspotter microphones in Boston were the subject of a FOIA request, which was promptly denied.

ShotSpotter Sensor Locations

Not surprising, given that the AG and MA police in general are the most opaque in the nation, routinely violating the FOIA from what I see (just not complying plus charging outrageous fees). See here, here and here

Back
Top Bottom