Shot Shells in handgun caliber...

Anyone ever shoot these? And if so what the heck are they good for?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=289683

I was thinking like... trap with a pistol maybe? seems like a poor thing for defense... in terms of stopping power anyway... feeding could be an issue as well unless they are like round nosed...

hmmm What do you think guys and gals?

and yes... its shit like this that keeps me up at night [laugh2][rofl]

They're good for killing snakes and other small animals/rodents, that's about
it... apparently sometimes they don't cycle autos well, or so I've heard.
Some masochists have also used .22 RF shotshells to kill hornets and other
bees. (not something I would recommend, out of not wanting to get
stung!)

Also, don't even bother trying to get them from sportsmansguide... they are
a bunch of pussies when it comes to selling anything remotely gun related
to MA because they got a consent decree enema from the old mass AG.
You can find them at just about any MA gun show, probably easiest way to
get them. Some smaller gun shops carry CCI shotshells as well.

FWIW if you find an online source that ships these (or any other
ammo) to MA please do not divulge/post it in the forum; we're trying to keep
the last few that are left from getting shut down. While the AG's goon squad
cancer spraying seems to be in quiet remission, there is no telling if frau
coakley could start an anti gun jihad at just about any moment and pick up
where her predecessor left off.

-Mike

I looked at them years ago, but never bothered trying any. They were marketed as a defense against snakes, and having spent most of my life around snakes, I figured anybody careless enough to get that close to a snake unintentionally had no business being outdoors and probably shouldn't be carrying a gun either. About the only way to get close enough to most snakes for them to pose a threat is to sneak up on them or fall into a nest.

Ken

I got some for a 22 I had. They are pretty useless and did not cycle my barrel and made a mess of the gun. I guess some people could use em for small rodents and other pests, but I live in the city so that's out.

Thanks!

Thanks guys was wondering what they were good for... apparently not much! Maybe I will get like 10 or something just to say I have shot them... when I get money to waste on such things... Think they put out a wide enough field to shoot skeet? Thats the only reason I can think of to even bother with em! Is that a catergory, pistol skeet? [laugh] I havent heard of it, but heck why not!

Thanks again gents for the inputs, Ill ship a few cases to indiana jones for his next flick.... im sure a few snakes will pop up!

I've used the .22 shotshells to kill red squirrels at my buddy's camp in ME. Blast 'em out of the tree with the shotshells, then a single .22LR bullet on the ground (so as to not be flinging .22LR rounds into the air).

Haven't used any in a handgun, although I do have some .38 and .44 special rounds. Wal-Mart carries them occasionally.

My dad used one to take out a beehive (.45 CCI shotshell) and it decimated the thing.

They are of limited utility and are short range (10 feet) but they do what they're made for. Great choice to limit collateral damage as the pellets are tiny and have little kinetic energy for penetration.

I've used a lot of them to kill rats, inside large empty warehouses around 12-4 am. The 38 shot shells are really good at 50 ft you can a real wide spread that's pretty deadly on rodents.

For the size of the shell it's amazing the amount of pellets they put out. I still have about 20 of them left. I think my record is 6 with one shot. That was in a old factory that was being torn down.

The trick to them is too remember they will bounce off of any thing they hit and you have to be real carefull with whats behind your target.

I had at one time wondered if those 22LR shot shells would be any use for disabling a bad guy by blinding him. Reasoning being that a blind bad guy is less harmful than one that can see but hasn't been effectively disabled by a 22 bullet. What do you think? The idea is likely rather absurd I know, so I'm sticking with good old fashioned higher-caliber bullets should I ever need to stop a bad guy. But who knows... maybe there's an actual reasonable use case for my proposed scenario, such as for someone who can only carry something as small as a NAA mini-revolver but still needs a chance at stopping the BG.

I had at one time wondered if those 22LR shot shells would be any use for disabling a bad guy by blinding him. Reasoning being that a blind bad guy is less harmful than one that can see but hasn't been effectively disabled by a 22 bullet. What do you think? The idea is likely rather absurd I know, so I'm sticking with good old fashioned higher-caliber bullets should I ever need to stop a bad guy. But who knows... maybe there's an actual reasonable use case for my proposed scenario, such as for someone who can only carry something as small as a NAA mini-revolver but still needs a chance at stopping the BG.

If you can hit the guy in the head/eye area with a shotshell, why not just shoot him in the head with real bullets? (even if they're only 22 rimfire) [laugh]

-Mike

The shot pattern at 15-30 feet with a shotshell is such that your chance of hitting is pretty low.

I was wishing I had shot shells in my snubbie last night - I was up in NH visiting a buddy who has wasps around his deck. He asked me to pick up a bag of charcoal and when I did so two @#$^% wasps came buzzing out of it at me. Should have seen me jump... and heard me swear. [rolleyes]

If I'd had the shotshells I might have taken a shot at the bag - as it was my buddy hosed it down with wasp spray.

I was wishing I had shot shells in my snubbie last night - I was up in NH visiting a buddy who has wasps around his deck. He asked me to pick up a bag of charcoal and when I did so two @#$^% wasps came buzzing out of it at me. Should have seen me jump... and heard me swear. [rolleyes]

If I'd had the shotshells I might have taken a shot at the bag - as it was my buddy hosed it down with wasp spray.

Whatever you grilled with that charcoal must have tasted, uhh, special.

Ken

... maybe there's an actual reasonable use case for my proposed scenario..

Unlikely you will blind him even if you hit him in the face at any reasonable distance. In the time it takes for you find out your cunning plan is not working as well as you thought, the bloody and enrages perpetrator will be on top of you, take away your gun and beat you to death with it. Better to just shoot him COM with real bullets. Honestly if this was the uber smart thing to do, Law Enforcement and the military would be shooting people in the face with pistol shot shells.

B

Fortunately, there was another, wasp-free, bag of charcoal on the deck.

Neither Siggy nor I are stupid enough to grill our salmon-burgers and hot dogs with insecticide-laced charcoal. [rolleyes] But yes, the burgers and dogs DID taste special. I think it was the good company (Siggy and I learned to ride together 25 years ago and we've been shooting together even longer) and the free air (he lives in Merrimack).

Mmmmmm.... wasp spray burgers......

So, the shot pattern would spread out wide enough that you may get a spec to the left and to the right of BG's eye w/o hitting it? Is that why it wouldn't blind him? Never having tried one, I have no clue what the pattern is like. I should try it just for fun sometime... it'd be a good learning experience.

The pellets in the .22 LR shells are very small and made of dead soft lead. If you shoot one at a board, you will find lots of them on the floor. They look like flattened spherical ball powder at that point. I suspect that the act of firing them is enough to flatten them and they loose velocity fairly fast in that condition.

I suspect that your eye could take several and still work enough to see. Oh, I forgot to add that most people have two eyes, so you would need to hit them in both eyes. I'd rather get shot in the eye with a couple of those pellets instead of a BB.

Also what would you do if the guy is 30 feet away from you and has a gun; reload with real ammo? If you want to blind someone so that they can't continue an attack use pepper spray.

B

The principal advantage of revolver shotshell loads, which as someone pointed out were more or less designed as a snake defense, is not so much that they are lethal to the snake as it is that they are less lethal to the shooter when firing into the ground only a couple of feet in front of you.

Just got in the August American Rifleman. Page 50, "Here Comes the Judge!"
Taurus puts a new spin on the revered double-action revolver. Its elongated cylinder accepts .45 Colt cartridges or .410-bore shotgun shells as well as .45 Schofield. 3" barrel, 5 rnds, 29 ozs., $553

Taurus puts a new spin on the revered double-action revolver. Its elongated cylinder accepts .45 Colt cartridges or .410-bore shotgun shells as well as .45 Schofield. 3" barrel, 5 rnds, 29 ozs., $553

And not available in MA, alas. [sad2]

I tried one and was not impressed. S&W has spoiled me. No offense to any Taurus owners out there but the fit, finish, and feel of the Taurus revolvers that I've owned/used (including this one) leave a lot to be desired. The "Judge" also has a funky grip - exactly like the one on a vegetable peeler that I have.

Back
Top Bottom