Shooting propane out back

The boys and I were just sitting around a fire in the front yard, enjoying the last of what be the best day we've had in a week. The little guy was trying out his new MSR Pocket Rocket stove, boiling up some soup. The big guy was eyeballing an old propane cylinder that had been out in the weather for a couple of years. This was the smaller one, the kind that you use for a lantern ... not the big gas grill ones.

So.... the conversation naturally arose as to how to properly dispose of this cylnder, now that the corroded neck rendered it dubious for its intended purpose.

Well, we disposed of this and two other full cylinders with the Marlin Mod. 336, out in the back yard.

Left a bit of a crater, and a white misty cloud. Metal was heard falling in the forest quite some distance away.

That was pretty cool.

Ahh, summer!

The story and the time of year remind me of a classic SImpsons episode when Homer buys a LARGE firework who label claims: "Celebrate the birth of your country by blowing up a small piece of it."

Sounds (and I'm sure feels) like fun!

On a related note, does anyone know what the shelf life of a typical propane cylinder is? I was thinking of picking up a few for long term emergency use.

Chris

Just be very careful, propane has an expansion ratio of 270 to 1, no matter what size container it's in. It also has a boiling point of -44 degrees F and is heavier than air. Plus that stuff can BLEVE and really screw up your day. Just something to think about. That stuff is nasty..... [frown]

Just be very careful, propane has an expansion ratio of 270 to 1, no matter what size container it's in. It also has a boiling point of -44 degrees F and is heavier than air. Plus that stuff can BLEVE and really screw up your day. Just something to think about. That stuff is nasty..... [frown]

I didn't know if I'd get a fireball, or what. If that propane mist had ignited, I guess I'd have had a hell of a mess on my hands.

I was with someone that had done that once before - we had a 1lb bottle and a HUGE sand pit. Lit a small paper fire in front of the bottle and hit it with a round from an AK.
The bottle didn't go far but it was a giant fireball. if yours lit up in your back yard it might have made a mess.
Then again, with all the rain we've had, I don't think anything will burn...

I didn't know if I'd get a fireball, or what. If that propane mist had ignited, I guess I'd have had a hell of a mess on my hands.

There was a Myth Busters episode where they were shooting propane tanks. If I recall correctly, they couldn't get it to explode just by shooting it and had to take some extra steps (which they always do -- you gotta have a big BOOM at the end of the episode, no matter what they are testing!)

There was a Myth Busters episode where they were shooting propane tanks. If I recall correctly, they couldn't get it to explode just by shooting it and had to take some extra steps (which they always do -- you gotta have a big BOOM at the end of the episode, no matter what they are testing!)

Yeah. I'm taking Timber's advice for the next backyard propane shoot. [grin]

I'm thinking if they couldn't get it to blow up on it's own, they'd strap about a ton of TNT to the tank and keep trying...

This is what happens.... [laugh]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFPedGsqtrs (NSFW, Language)

What's weird is sometimes the tank goes flying, other times it'll just fall over and spew flame into the air and not go anywhere. Definitely something you
want to do from long range.

-Mike

Cylinder Certification and Recertification

Cylinder Certification and Recertification
Cylinders are subject to recertification (also known as requalification) twelve years from their date of manufacture and every five years after that. For example, a cylinder manufactured in January of 2000 will have to be recertified in January of 2012 meaning if you take your bottle to the propane company in April of 2012 to be refilled, it will have to be requalified by authorized personnel before it can be filled. The recertification process is simple and does not take too long to complete. Think of cylinder recertification as an inspection similar to that of your car. A vehicle has to be inspected annually so that it may continue to operate safely on the road. Similarly, a propane cylinder must be inspected so that it may continue to operate safely in LP Gas service.

Got this from http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinders.htm

I use 100# bottles up at the camp in VT. Local gas man won't fill them unless they've been recertified.

On a related note, does anyone know what the shelf life of a typical propane cylinder is? I was thinking of picking up a few for long term emergency use.
Chris

As long as you don't scratch the paint and let it rust it should last indefinitely provided there's no water in the tank itself. Like Chuck posted you must have it re-certified after 12 years then depending on the type of inspection it may only be valid for something like 4 yr (?) periods. You CAN NOT store the typical 20 lb. propane tank indoors. They have relief valves and will purge propane if the pressure becomes too high.

Someone sent me this many years ago. It looks like fun, but I'd wait until the ground was snow covered before trying it for myself.

Major Propane Flamage.mpg

Here's a little badge for ya, Zappa!

smokey.jpg

[laugh][laugh]

While at the range yesterday, I heard a gentleman relate an experience he had with a 20-lb propane tank.

Apparently, he shot at the tank with a .357 pistol, and the round pulled a 180 - it slid along the reinforcing ring inside the tank, and exited in his direction. In fact, he claimed it went whizzing by his head!

I don't know the guy from Adam, but have no reason to not believe him. I've seen some strange things when it comes to shooting or blowing things up, so I think it could happen.

Just a word of caution....

While at the range yesterday, I heard a gentleman relate an experience he had with a 20-lb propane tank.

Apparently, he shot at the tank with a .357 pistol, and the round pulled a 180 - it slid along the reinforcing ring inside the tank, and exited in his direction. In fact, he claimed it went whizzing by his head!

I don't know the guy from Adam, but have no reason to not believe him. I've seen some strange things when it comes to shooting or blowing things up, so I think it could happen.

Just a word of caution....

Eh. It's just a little Coleman can. How bad could it hurt?

I've also had a friend report a round being turned around inside a propane tank and coming back at him. Solution - turn the tank on it's side and shoot it in the bottom of the cylinder.

A slightly safer but still fun activity - filling empty gallon jug with propane.

Cap them and toss on campfire. As the jug and gas heat up they build up pressure until the fire melts through the jug. Once there is a blowout through that hole the jug will rocket out of the fire with a long flame trail.

Great fun while winter camping and you are young, dumb, and bored. [smile]

Not sure if it's a dupe but this thread is starting to remind me of this:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/whitman/...d-in-fire-after-accident-in-Abington#comments

Lewiston man burned in backyard mishap
Published: Jun 23, 2009 1:10 am -

ABINGTON, Mass. -- As a 31-year-old Whitman native fights for his life in a Boston hospital following a backyard fire caused by gasoline, officials are urging the public not to use flammable materials around outdoor fires.

"Any flammable liquid, especially gasoline, cannot be used near any open flame," Abington Fire Capt. John Nuttall said Sunday.
William Brooks of Lewiston, Maine, was listed in critical condition at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston on Monday morning, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Brooks suffered second- and third-degree burns over an estimated 75 to 80 percent of his body after pouring gasoline on a backyard fire pit in Abington on Saturday night, causing an explosion.

Two other adults in their 30s, Marcy and Kevin Breivogel of Rockland, suffered burns to their legs, a fire official said. They were listed in fair condition at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston Monday.
The fire was reported at 7:40 p.m. Saturday, at 65 Bay State Circle.
About 40 people, including several children, had been at the home during the day for a child's birthday party, said homeowner Mathew Stephenson, Brooks' longtime friend.

Brooks and the Breivogels were the only people in the backyard at the time of the fire. Stephenson estimated that about a half-gallon of gas had been in the can that Brooks used to pour on the fire.

Brooks was on fire for at least 30 seconds after the explosion, Stephenson said.
Brooks lived in Whitman until about five years ago, he said.
Saturday's fire in Abington was the latest report of burn injuries involving gasoline nationwide this month:
On June 15, a 12-year-old Arkansas boy was severely burned after he poured gasoline on himself and set it on fire while his friend videotaped the stunt.
On June 14, a 14-year-old Texas girl suffered first- and second-degree burns on her face, head and arms after she poured gasoline on a tree stump before igniting it.
To be safe, Nuttall, the Abington fire captain, cautioned area residents against using flammable liquids near outdoor fires.
"People are going to start camping. This happens every year at camp fires," Nuttall said. "(There should be) no flammable liquids, period."

Back
Top Bottom