Shooting glass in a prescription possible?

Any one know about being able to get a pair of shooting glass in a prescription. i am just starting to get into shooting and would like to get a nice set of protective gear for my eyes.

thanks chuck

There is a long useful thread in here somewhere.

Please use Advanced Search and search for posts by me "LenS" that have the work "prescription" or "glasses" in it and you should find it. [Search will only work on 4 or more characters.]

I bought ESS glasses and they are very good. Had my local optician (who no longer is in business) cut the proper lenses for shooting. You buy the ESS glasses (I think Gunnersalley.com offered an excellent price and delivery) with the proper "Rx inserts", then take them to your optician to get the lenses made custom to your needs. I brought a Blue Gun (plastic) with me, although both the previous and current optician would have been cool if I drew out my 1911, I would NOT have been as there were people walking behind the 2x4 wall.

Feel free to post the URL to the thread you find here in a reply so others can also benefit. Thanks.

I use a pair of Oakley A-wires sunglasses with Rx lens in them, they work quite well. Good wrap around protection and they are not huge, obvious shooting glasses

for indoors I have a pair of Wiley-X with Rx inserts that fit behing the main lens.. the only problem with them is that you have 2 sets of lens to keep clean.

Another vote for the Decot glasses. I prefer the flatter lenses, less distortion when you look through an off center portion of the lense.

If you're not ready to get a dedicated pair of shooting glasses yet, you can always get your regular glasses made using polycarbonate lenses.

Ken

I just use my standard eyeglasses (polycarbonate lenses) when I shoot. No big deal.

until something goes wrong...

You really want something that complies with ANSI Z87.1

General polycarbonate lenses are made to be light and comfortable, not protective. And side shields are important to protect from flying brass coming from the person shooting to your left.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the range and forgot to put on my glasses untill half way through the range session. Nothing happened, but I wish someone said "hey knuckle head! where's your glasses?".

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom