• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting another person's target

Hello NES!
With only 6 weeks of winter, its time to start getting ready to shoot outdoors.

I had an incident last year at a local range. While I was shooting, a group of guys came and set up to shoot. At first, they had plenty to shoot at. But when those guys decided to go tacticool and start dumping ammo, they burned through their targets. 5 minutes later, they started shooting at mine, without asking.

Now, I dont mind people shooting at my targets, when they ask, and as long as they give me a deposit of $5 just in case they shoot a part of my target stand and break it (I made it out of black pipe and rebar). I very kindly asked them to stop shooting at my target. Although they did stop, one of the guys called me petty, and said I wasnt helping the 2nd amendment bye being a jerk. One of the chains that hold the target up got shot. I then kindly pointed out to them that they shot and broke my target. I then told them that people breaking my stuff IS the reason why I dont let people shoot at my target. At that point, I packed my stuff and left before it escalated any further.

How do you all feel about letting people shoot at your steel targets. Do you let them? Do you ask for a deposit?

If they ask - sure, more than happy to and generally have a good conversation out of it

In the situation you mentioned - seems to be a bunch of idiots being idiots.
They may not have known at first, but a reasonable person would have stopped and apologized when you pointed out that they were yours. Definitely not in the wrong for packing up and leaving

Not sure what kind of range you have.....

our regular rifle and pistol ranges you cannot shoot across the lanes. you have to shoot straight into your own target area. Can be either paper or steel. the club has some steel or you can get yours approved and use your own.

We have an action range that just opened late last fall. Not sure how that works yet. But that would be the only place at my club you could be tacticool.

me, I don't own one but holy shit...ask me, just don't start blasting away. that's a breech of range etiquette as far as i'm concerned. not cool, butt stroke worthy.

Why the f*** would you shoot at someone else's target without asking?

Sure, sometimes I'll offer to leave an unused or barely used target up for the next shooter if they'd like to use it, but what the actual f*** man? And to be a douchebag after being nicely asked not to do so?

These are the kinds of twatwaffles that aren't helping the 2nd amendment.

But when those guys decided to go tacticool and start dumping ammo, they burned through their targets. 5 minutes later, they started shooting at mine, without asking.

Should have told them to "maintain their sectors of fire". Works particularly well if you are in your 50's, have a lean athletic build and your hair is in a tight horseshoe. Perhaps a mustache that does not extend past the outer edges of the lips, and does not touch either the nose or the top lip would help.

We can only use club frames and commercially manufactured steel. When I'm shooting paper sometimes I've offered to let folks shoot my when I'm finished and heading home. Saves time vs calling a cold range just for me to go down and collect 50 cents worth of unshot paper targets. Steel.....I used to offer to let folks shoot my steel. However, I offered to let a guy and his teenage son shoot my 22lr steel spinners one day and they took me up on the offer and were quite grateful. I told them they were 22lr only.......I took a bathroom break.....came back and he was shooting at them with his 9mm pistol cal carbine and bent the shit out of the top spinner. I wasn't all hot about it....but remind him that I told them it was 22lr only. He offered to pay me but I just said no and packed up. I don't even offer anymore.

Worst problem I had with guys shooting my targets almost ended up in a physical altercation. Different gun club than I am at now......I went down on a cold sunday morning one March to set up for a buddy of mine and his college friends. they were from out of town and from New York City and he asked me if they could shoot some at the club as my guest (he was paying me back for the ammo and none of his friends had shot any guns before) so I said no problem. Range rules was no shooting before noon on sundays. I arrived at 11:00 am to get all the targets posted before they arrived to save them from the mundane task of setting up as it was quite cold out. I got the targets set up by 11:15ish. Nature called and I jumped in my truck to go up to the clubhouse to take care of that business. I left my range bag, coffee thermos, and extra targets on the bench and drove up to the clubhouse about 200 yards up the road (guns were in my truck). I was taking a nice shit ad heard gunfire....rapid fire gunfire..........looked at the time and it was only 11:25. I drove back down to find two a**h***s with an AR each were lighting up all my targets! they had not even put the red flag up or signed in. I called cease fire! They looked at my like I was crazy. I explained to them the range is closed until noon and they were shooting my targets. Of course they said they didn't know they were mine. Told them that the range bag and thermos of coffee should have been a clue. Now.....back to the closed range......asked to see their membership cards.......they said "we are not members but we know Bob". I totally lost it! Absolutely lost my shit on them.....get the f*** off the range or I'm calling the police for trespassing. They packed up cussing me out the whole time......"we were just trying out some new rifles and having fun.......f*** you.....your a dick......yada yada. I took their plate number down and turned it into the club BOD but never heard anything about it.

lol wut? Winter is the best time to shoot outdoors, warm guns, less idiots. Come out and enjoy!

yes, those people were dickheads, next time tell them not to shoot at your target, if they still do take down their membership numbers, it's MAss, kicking their ass is against the law.

I'd have pissed on his door handles.

"What? Well, I didn't know. I'm just pissing. You're an enemy of the 23rd Amendment acting like that. Sheesh."

Then drive away. ;)

No, I'd have to go look up what #23 is. LOL Neither would he.

I was at an outdoor range, shooting my scoped Redhawk at 50yds. Guy sets up next to me and starts shooting my spinner plate with his AR. My plate was rated for magnum HANDGUN. As soon as he finished his shot string, I politely asked him to stop shooting my target. He just kinda looked dumbfounded and explained he thought it was the clubs. I simply told him that "no" it wasn't. When we went down to retrieve targets he walked down with me and saw that he had punched a bunch of holes in my plate and chewed up the stand supports pretty good. He profusely apologized and asked what he could do. I said just "buy me a new one, sportmans warehouse, $29.00" He did replace it when I saw him the next weekend.

I would never shoot someone else’s target w/ out asking, nor would I expect someone else to do the same. My steel targets are AR400 and only rated to 9mm so if somebody started shooting with an AR it would most definitely ruin the targets

Your in simplest terms a dink for shooting someone one else’s steel target. I have had 3 dinks so far shoot up my rimfire targets ( whimsy 3/16 steel ) shooting steel core ammo at them. 2 thought it was ok because it’s steel and not paper. 3rd guy shot not just a chain by managed to get 2 shots on the leg. Shooting at a 10” plate from 100 yards and hitting the legs is unacceptable. If you can’t hold 12moa don’t shoot at someone’s steel.
1 guy replaced my shit with out delay the other 2 I had to chase down. AND I’m the a**h***

Tell them you would like to buy them another round of "free targets" and hand each one a new target to staple/pin to the backer.
While they are downrange and facing away from you... perform a mag dump into the sod.

Some clubs have steel targets set up for general use. There is a possibility the person thought this was a public club target and not your personal property.

NFW is it OK to shoot someone else's target without asking. Especially hanging steel on a wood frame or something that is easily damaged.

It's a little gay to ask for a 5 dollar breakage deposit if they do ask...........but whatever.

I'm glad my range is in the middle of nowhere, my club is small and very few people use it. Things like this remind me of why we choose to keep club prices on the higher side in the area, unless you do your mandatory hours, then its reasonable. It keeps the idiots at bay for the most part, and we don't have any issues like this behind a locked gate.

Hello NES!

I had an incident last year at a local range. While I was shooting, a group of guys came and set up to shoot. At first, they had plenty to shoot at. But when those guys decided to go tacticool and start dumping ammo, they burned through their targets. 5 minutes later, they started shooting at mine, without asking.

Now, I dont mind people shooting at my targets, when they ask, and as long as they give me a deposit of $5 just in case they shoot a part of my target stand and break it (I made it out of black pipe and rebar). I very kindly asked them to stop shooting at my target. Although they did stop, one of the guys called me petty, and said I wasnt helping the 2nd amendment bye being a jerk. One of the chains that hold the target up got shot. I then kindly pointed out to them that they shot and broke my target. I then told them that people breaking my stuff IS the reason why I dont let people shoot at my target. At that point, I packed my stuff and left before it escalated any further.

How do you all feel about letting people shoot at your steel targets. Do you let them? Do you ask for a deposit?

Back when I used to lug dingers/spinners etc onto the range as soon as someone else showed up and it went cold I usually pulled my shit
back at that point (unless I knew the people as regulars, for example there was this BP dude that was really cool to shoot with... his rate of fire was low, but I let him shoot my metal targets with his muzzleloader, although usually he shot his own targets, too.) then I'd just wait out the other people (usually they'd blow their load in under 30 minutes) and then put my steel back out.

That said, yeah it is bad etiquette, but I think if the range is "open" you gotta inform people to not shoot it before they even start, or pull your stuff back.

I also view using outdoor ranges like going to the grocery store- I try to time my visits when I know there's not going to be anyone there. Most of the
clubs that aren't overcommitted have lull periods. (although at this point, you might have to drive a bit to get somewhere that isn't overcommitted.... )

-Mike

In Gallery Match shooting for the league there was this real PITA shooter who thought he was God's gift. A few of us when we knew we had a solid target with the possibility of 8 or 9 shots easily looking like 10 would punch an extra hole in his target.

As for outdoor and shooting at MY steel that would piss me off. That's not some nickel paper target stapled on a club stand. That's like running out of ammo and reaching into my range bag for more. I most likely would have asked for their names or at least grabbed a plate number.

NFW is it OK to shoot someone else's target without asking. Especially hanging steel on a wood frame or something that is easily damaged.

It's a little gay to ask for a 5 dollar breakage deposit if they do ask...........but whatever.

I'm glad my range is in the middle of nowhere, my club is small and very few people use it. Things like this remind me of why we choose to keep club prices on the higher side in the area, unless you do your mandatory hours, then its reasonable. It keeps the idiots at bay for the most part, and we don't have any issues like this behind a locked gate.

Clubs like that are the best gems in mass.... low use rate = low fudd/busybody count, low retard count, low range nazi count.

-Mike

I don't think its gay. The reason I built it the way I did was to keep things cheap to fix. I used to let people shoot at it all the time. After seeing it break for the 10th time and having to pay for another repair for damage I didn't cause, I started asking for a $5 deposit. I do the same thing with my chronograph . I'll let anyone use it with a 100% fully refundable deposit. You break it, you fix it.

Not quite steel, but....

Same range as mentioned before, I had my pet varmint rifle out. This thing shoots ridiculously well for a lightly modified but otherwise factory rifle. Anyway, was shooting some of the best groups of my life that day. It was a beautiful day as well. I usually printed out a benchrest type target, each page had 6 targets on it. I'm shooting a group, the first shot is just dead nuts perfect center in the square. Second shot is so perfect I thought I missed it. Third shot I see the hole slightly open up a tad to know I'm just stacking them on top of each other, I lean in for my 4th shot and see a hole well off the group but still in the square......I look over to my right and there's these two guys shooting a scoped off 17HMR, hmmmmmm, so I shoot my 4th and 5th shots of the group, still one slightly larger hole than the bullets diameter (.224).

We walk down and I pull my target and my group is .29 measuring the widest part of the hole and subtracting the diameter of the bullet. But there's that pesky hole off to the side by 1/2"... I measure the hole and its .17-.18, and those chuckleheads were shooting a 17. Really pissed me off cause here I have a beautiful group I'm super proud of and these jerks are raining on my parade. I ask them if they were shooting at the board in front of my bench and they just say "ehhh shooting at targets down there" as me makes a shoo'ing motion with his hand gesturing down range.

I just blew it off, sometimes its just not even worth talking to people, rather just walk away and take notes.

Not quite steel, but....

Same range as mentioned before, I had my pet varmint rifle out. This thing shoots ridiculously well for a lightly modified but otherwise factory rifle. Anyway, was shooting some of the best groups of my life that day. It was a beautiful day as well. I usually printed out a benchrest type target, each page had 6 targets on it. I'm shooting a group, the first shot is just dead nuts perfect center in the square. Second shot is so perfect I thought I missed it. Third shot I see the hole slightly open up a tad to know I'm just stacking them on top of each other, I lean in for my 4th shot and see a hole well off the group but still in the square......I look over to my right and there's these two guys shooting a scoped off 17HMR, hmmmmmm, so I shoot my 4th and 5th shots of the group, still one slightly larger hole than the bullets diameter (.224).

We walk down and I pull my target and my group is .29 measuring the widest part of the hole and subtracting the diameter of the bullet. But there's that pesky hole off to the side by 1/2"... I measure the hole and its .17-.18, and those chuckleheads were shooting a 17. Really pissed me off cause here I have a beautiful group I'm super proud of and these jerks are raining on my parade. I ask them if they were shooting at the board in front of my bench and they just say "ehhh shooting at targets down there" as me makes a shoo'ing motion with his hand gesturing down range.

I just blew it off, sometimes its just not even worth talking to people, rather just walk away and take notes.

Yeah that's pretty bad. I've never shot at someone else's paper targets unless offered to use em.

I was at an outdoor range, shooting my scoped Redhawk at 50yds. Guy sets up next to me and starts shooting my spinner plate with his AR. My plate was rated for magnum HANDGUN. As soon as he finished his shot string, I politely asked him to stop shooting my target. He just kinda looked dumbfounded and explained he thought it was the clubs. I simply told him that "no" it wasn't. When we went down to retrieve targets he walked down with me and saw that he had punched a bunch of holes in my plate and chewed up the stand supports pretty good. He profusely apologized and asked what he could do. I said just "buy me a new one, sportmans warehouse, $29.00" He did replace it when I saw him the next weekend.

I rarely ever shoot outdoors as my local range is indoor only, even when I lived in MA and was a member of 2 clubs, I rarely shot at their outdoor ranges. With that said, if I was to stupidly shoot across lanes (which I don't think I would), I would probably also have assumed the steel targets are the club's. Why? I'm not sure why but that's what I would have thought..... up until the point where you told me they were actually your targets and then I would have apologized and stopped shooting at them.

To the OP, looks like you just came across a bunch of jerks. Good move on packing up early and not escalating the situation. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

I wouldn't shoot at another person's target without their permission. I don't usually bring my steel target to the club but when I do,I ask what people are going to shoot it with. I don't ask for a deposit.

Those guys were idiots.
First...They shouldn't have been shooting across lanes
Second... after it was pointed out to them that they were shooting your targets that should have been the end of it.

That's considered cross lane shooting. Which is against the rules at my club due to safety. They can be reported and bounced from the club.

Back
Top Bottom