Shoot Him To The Ground by Matthew Temkin

My Review…

OK, for what it’s worth here’s my $.02 on “Shoot Him To The Ground” and please remember three points. First, this is from the non-pros perspective, second, though I know and like Matt and Tom, I will be fair and honest in my critique (especially if that check doesn’t arrive today Matt!), and finally, it is simply my personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Considering it was a one-camera shoot done without benefit of any Hollywood type expertise, I thought the video and sound quality were great. Matt may have been a little nervous but who wouldn’t be and as he said he ain’t no actor. He spoke loud and clear and I understood his every statement.

My opinion of the content and the instruction was that anyone with the fundamentals of safe gun handling and marksmanship down pat could fairly learn the ins and outs of this methodology simply using this tutorial as a guide and perhaps working with a knowledgeable friend. Obviously, they would do much better with Matt and Tom as coaches but as they have told me many times; “it ain’t rocket science”.

I did some dry fire work along with the DVD the second time I viewed it, taking all the necessary safety precautions of course. The entire process taught was easy for me to work (though I did abbreviate my movements being indoors), and I’m not the brightest bulb on the line either. In addition, I was very impressed with the tweaking that Matt has done and how well those succeed. It must’ve been very difficult to amend slightly the work of the likes of Fairbairn, Sykes, Applegate, Jordan, Bryce, Askins, BenTemkin, and the others greats, nevertheless Matt did it without ruining any of they main methodologies nor their emphasis.

Two points that Matt accentuated really came across well, 1) the fact that these methods can and are very flexible and can be adapted to one’s current system, and 2) the reiteration that so-called point shooting is simply part of the entire combat shooting continuum and not merely a substitute for sighted fire.

There was some especially constructive advice that I gleaned from this presentation as well. The reason to shoot low at the gut was thoroughly explained sighting three reasons if I recall correctly. As well as the need for contact shooting should a struggle ensue was driven home via his friend’s nearly fatal experience. Oh, one other point was, at these extreme close ranges, do not stop and assess…keep shooting.

One thing I really liked about the presentation as a whole was the way in which it was done. There was no bollocks nor ‘secret special ops” nonsense, no “tactical Teddy” teachings or “high-speed” equipment use, just good old fashioned shooting with plain handguns.

In all I believe Matt, along with Tom, and the other gentlemen whose names I have neglected to record, did a fantastic job in getting the “point” over to us. OUTSTANDING Matt, you should be extremely proud, as you’ve accomplished much with this production.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...and now on my YouTube account....

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting video. I'm a big proponent of point shooting, it's the way I train with my CC weapon.

Two things, I noticed he poked the dummy with the revolver before shooting. Do that with an auto you might take the pistol out of battery.

Second, would like to know why he advances on the target while shooting? Putting distance between the BG and myself by back peddling & shooting toward cover seems more natural.

I wonder what they would say at the range if you brought those man targets to shoot?

Thanks for the post.

Very interesting video. I'm a big proponent of point shooting, it's the way I train with my CC weapon.

Two things, I noticed he poked the dummy with the revolver before shooting. Do that with an auto you might take the pistol out of battery.

Second, would like to know why he advances on the target while shooting? Putting distance between the BG and myself by back peddling & shooting toward cover seems more natural.

I wonder what they would say at the range if you brought those man targets to shoot?

Thanks for the post.

I've never been to a range that would have the problem with those targets. I thought about them, but they aren't cheap. I don't want to spend that much money on something to shoot holes in!

Back
Top Bottom