Shoot! Cop guns don't work - NYC

rep308

NES Member
Shoot! Cop guns don't work

The NYPD's entire fleet of Highway Patrol officers was pulled from their posts and rushed to a Bronx firing range yesterday because of a malfunction discovered with their shotguns, sources said.

The snafu was discovered during a training session at the Rodman's Neck range when NYPD weapon experts found "intermittent" problems with the firing pin that prevented the gun from discharging.

All 75 Mossberg 590A1 shotguns had to be turned in for the older Ithaca 37s.

Officers then had to be recertified to use those guns before they could return to their posts.

Precinct squad cars were sent in shifts to make up for their absence, though the NYPD insisted there was no lapse in patrols.

they are still using shotguns? they still cant afford to switch over to the M4? almost every LEO around my area use M4's maybe a few old timer LEO still use the shotguns.

M4 is much better in a Homeland Security Threat then a shotgun, more police depts should switch to the M4's i walk by a police car i can see the SBR M4's sitting in the middle of the front seat.

i feel shotguns are obsolete for all around Police work.

Last edited:
they are still using shotguns? they still cant afford to switch over to the M4? almost every LEO around my area use M4's maybe a few old timer LEO still use the shotguns.

M4 is much better in a Homeland Security Threat then a shotgun, more police depts should switch to the M4's i walk by a police car i can see the SBR M4's sitting in the middle of the front seat.

i feel shotguns are obsolete for all around Police work.

Different tools for different jobs. Its kind of hard to shoot a bean bag out of a .223 barrel.

The recent Mossberg catalog had an article in it about how they were built for a special contract. IIRC they are 14" barrels with Novak sights and they had special adapters made to retrofit the mounts already in the cruisers. So they would be a Class III item

The recent Mossberg catalog had an article in it about how they were built for a special contract. IIRC they are 14" barrels with Novak sights and they had special adapters made to retrofit the mounts already in the cruisers. So they would be a Class III item

Couldn't that be solved with a simple barrel swap? Or does the atf not let it be that simple?

I seem to remember that NYC cops used the 590DA (double action)not the 590A1.
This would make sense that the double action trigger group would fail.
Mossy 590DA had some bad reviews in the gun rags some years ago.

When I bought my first shotgun, I was told to avoid Mossberg and buy a Remington. I took that advice (from guys at my club) and purchased a Remington 870 Express Magnum in 12-gauge. Turns out they were right. Never had a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom