• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping Handgun to CT FFL Dealer Question

Hi guys, I joined this forum to ask a question about shipping a handgun to a CT FFL dealer.

I am not a FFL dealer, but a private party. I shipped the handgun to the FFL dealer provided by my buyer.

The FFL dealer has received the firearm and it has my driver's license in it, etc. He called and declared that "my shipment was in violation of federal law" blah, blah, blah.

I've not had this issue before shipping anything to CT, so ... has something changed in CT state law concerning FFL dealers receiving handgun shipments from private parties outside of CT?

Thanks.

Please ask him for the citation to the Fed Law he alleges that you violated!

Fed Law allows ANYONE (not a PP) to ship a gun to ANY FFL/gunsmith/mfr for any legal purpose (sale, work to be done on the gun, repair, etc.).

Many FFLs refuse to accept shipments from Non-FFLs . . . that is a business choice (asinine as it is) not a Fed law.

As for CT laws, get DCMDon to answer that, my expertise is MA gun laws, Don't expertise is CT gun laws (he holds a CT FFL).

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ship the gun via USPS or something?...

This would indeed be a Fed law violation. Only FFL Dealers/FFL Mfrs can ship handguns thru the USPO. Anyone (not a PP) can ship long guns thru the USPO.

Did you ship the gun via USPS or something?...

Nope, FEDEX as per the usual. I've sold many handguns on Gunbroker...rarely have this problem...but there are FFL dealers who simply do not understand, know or even care to be informed about how private parties can ship handguns to them for transfer to their customers who fill out Form 4473, etc.

Just was curious is there is something going on in CT that I was not aware of.

- - - Updated - - -

What was the point of the guy telling you you violated federal law. Was he being a dick or was he just trying to be helpful?

Based on the tone and tenor of his message, I'd have to opt for "dick" in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Fed Law allows ANYONE (not a PP) to ship a gun to ANY FFL/gunsmith/mfr for any legal purpose (sale, work to be done on the gun, repair, etc.).

Agree and absolutuly. They are free to do business however they want, but when I get an idiot FFL telling me it is "illegal" for me to ship him a handgun unless I'm an FFL myself....that's when it gets stupid.

Agree and absolutuly. They are free to do business however they want, but when I get an idiot FFL telling me it is "illegal" for me to ship him a handgun unless I'm an FFL myself....that's when it gets stupid.

FFLs love to make up "laws" rather than saying "I don't accept firearms except from another dealer"! That's why when anyone, FFL or other, spouts "law" the best response is "please give me a citation so I can look it up and read it for myself?" That will almost always shut up the idiots out there.

You didn't break any laws. As others have said, there are no federal laws prohibiting it.

And there are no CT laws prohibiting it.

You are fine. What I've noticed over the last 10 years or so is that what was an increasing trend of dealers not WANTING to receive shipments from anyone other than another dealer/manufacturer is becoming a trend of uninformed dealers or employees stating that this practice is illegal. This is a sure sign that that person is ignorant.

ATF FAQ answer to shipping by common carrier
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Remember a non-licensee is someone who doesn't hold an 01 or 07 FFL. A licensee is someone who does. a/k/a "a dealer".
The term "licensee" has NOTHING to do with a Mass LTC, NH P&R, or a CT Pistol Permit.

Don

p.s. The above info was pulled from this page.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons

Back
Top Bottom