Shipping a gun

Laura

NES Member
I plan to send a couple of guns off for work: one to Cylinder and Slide and the other back to Colt. I hate to send things Fedex because everyone acts like you're shipping a bomb. What are my options for shipping off these guns and is it really necessary to identify that it's a gun every time?

Laura said:
I plan to send a couple of guns off for work: one to Cylinder and Slide and the other back to Colt. I hate to send things Fedex because everyone acts like you're shipping a bomb. What are my options for shipping off these guns and is it really necessary to identify that it's a gun every time?

You do need to tell them you're shipping a firearm (it's a Federal law). You could try using UPS, although they're probably not much better. I had a UPS clerk swear up and down that I had to ship a firearm ground, not next day. Or you could have your local gun shop ship it. They can ship it USPS, which should be cheaper, but they'll probably want to charge you something for their time so you may not actually save anything. At least you don't get the "A gun! <recoils in horror>" from the shipping clerk.

Or you could have your local gun shop ship it. They can ship it USPS, which should be cheaper,

Another reason to cultivate a close relationship with a local FFL. Mine will ship it for the postage costs alone, no extra charge. I think it comes out to around $25 for an average package.

Bob's used to ship mine for me for the charge alone as well. Best to call a gun shop near you and ask them Laura. Saves a lot of aggrevation.

Another solution is to setup an online account with UPS and/or FedEx. You print your own labels. You can notate that it is a gun (you need to be careful "where" so that it is NOT printed on the label) . . . since you print them yourself you can play with it 'til it works.

This covers the law/rule and then you can just hand it to any UPS/FedEx driver or just hand it over the counter (UPS/FedEx depot, not 3rd party stores) and leave!

I've shipped a few guns to S&W this way, S&W sent me the prepaid label but it's the same deal if I were to pay and print out my own labels. No questions, no debates, just do it!

Lynne, I assume you're talking about Bob's Tacticle in Sailsbury? I went there when I first got into shooting as they're very helpful when I was learning how to clean my Berettas. I plan to go back this winter since I never use the indoor range at the Lawrence gun club - it's awful, they won't let you move the targets up and only lead tip bullets are allowed. At least at Bob's I can shoot FMJ and move up the target as close as I'd like - and the lighting is better. I may ask them or see about the Four Seasons when I'm ready to send it off - it'd make things soooo much easier than dealing with those clerks.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. :D

Laura, I've shipped handguns from the Fedex store in Peabody with no problems whatsoever...you just need to tell them it's a handgun and that it's going back to the factory for repair. Same deal with UPS in Lynnfield.

I have shipped firearms via UPS, but on the whole I think sometimes it is better to simply have a local dealer do it and pay whatever...no muss, no fuss.

You might want to consider taking the Colt to the Colt Factory in West Hartford, CT yourself. Please call first and tell them that you are bringing the firearm (or part, or sub=assembly) and then make sure your firearm is unloaded, locked in a containter and in the locked trunk of your vehicle. You should be good to go.

CT law:
(a) The provisions of sections 29-35 and 29-38 shall not apply to the interstate transportation of firearms through this state in accordance with 18 USC 926A and 927, as amended from time to time, by any person who is not otherwise prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing a firearm. Such person may transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm through this state to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm provided such transportation is in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.
(b) During the transportation of a firearm through this state as authorized in subsection (a) of this section, such firearm shall be unloaded and neither such firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such firearm shall be unloaded and such firearm and any ammunition being transported shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
(c) No person who is transporting a firearm through this state in accordance with this section may use or carry such firearm or sell, deliver or otherwise transfer such firearm while in this state. (P.A. 99-212, S. 3.)"

Mark

Laura said:
Lynne, I assume you're talking about Bob's Tacticle in Sailsbury? I went there when I first got into shooting as they're very helpful when I was learning how to clean my Berettas. I plan to go back this winter since I never use the indoor range at the Lawrence gun club - it's awful, they won't let you move the targets up and only lead tip bullets are allowed. At least at Bob's I can shoot FMJ and move up the target as close as I'd like - and the lighting is better. I may ask them or see about the Four Seasons when I'm ready to send it off - it'd make things soooo much easier than dealing with those clerks.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. :D

Yup - Bob's in Salisbury. If you go on a Sun or Mon, you might even see me there. :D Call before you go first tho - just to make sure their open (which they hopefully will be in a couple weeks - but the hours might change a bit).

Back
Top Bottom