Shell plate bolt..

My shell plate bolt loosens up about every 50 rounds. I called Hornady when I first got it about 2 years ago and they told me to use locktite or plumbers tape.

So far I resisted going that route, mainly because I didn't want the problem of cleaning the bolt or bolt hole when changing calibers.

Is there a easier way to keep that bolt from backing out?

Take a large blade screwdriver and use it to stop the rotation of the shellplate by holding it in one of the shell recesses while tightening the bolt. I can usually get the bolt tight by just doing that with a finger, but sometimes with certain calibers I need to do the above. Hornady really should've put a hole in the subplate in a strategic location so you could use an allen wrench or something to stop the plate rotation to tighten the nut. A hole at Station 4 or 5 would've done it.

Yeah- I guess I'm lucky. Just snugged it up good and it's fine. The onlything that I can think of causing it to back out is the ejection wire... and it doesn't offer much resistance at all.... unless your shell plate is dragging too much. I make sure it's clean under there and use a tiny smidge of one shot lube.

Back
Top Bottom