• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seventh Circuit Upholds $30 Booking Fee For Being Arrested

MaverickNH

NES Member
Seventh Circuit Upholds $30 Booking Fee For Being Arrested

From the Comments:

In Chief Wiggum's voice-

Alright boys, word's come down from the Mayor's office that the city is almost broke, and he needs us out there collecting those booking fees, so when you're out there today, anybody looks at you cockeyed, bring 'em in.

"Now let's get out there and provide our constituents with the 'service' of arresting them."

From the dissent: "During oral argument, the village tried to justify this user fee theory by explaining that a person arrested by mistake would still properly owe the fee because he would have benefitted from the 'services' of being photographed and fingerprinted."

Hapless Citizen: "No thank you, officer, I already had my photo and fingerprints taken last time I was arrested."
Officer: "You still have to pay again. But we'll give you a 'loyalty' card, and your 5th arrest is free."

Holy F'n bogus! I think it's even more bogus than the stupid MA court fees when you appeal a traffic violation. [crying]

Legal Gurus - What's the recourse to this? This is setting a pretty nasty precedence.

Holy F'n bogus! I think it's even more bogus than the stupid MA court fees when you appeal a traffic violation. [crying]

Legal Gurus - What's the recourse to this? This is setting a pretty nasty precedence.
So... if you get arrested, I think thirty bux is the LEAST of your problems.... (not that it's any excuse)

So now arresting a person is a new profit center for the police. Hmmm. Nothing wrong here.

/sarcasm

Think of the local forfeiture issues rampant now across the country. Maybe police will become the "revenuers" of decades past (tax collectors?).

Back
Top Bottom