Service Type

Which category do you fit in?

• Total voters
Pilgrim said:
Hey Bro Weenies,

I was NSA in Europe HQ. Only spent about 1 month actually working for ASA the rest of the 3 1/2 years in Eur was with NSA.

You don't hear that thrown around much these days, ASA. My dad always talks about the ASA, flying in Mohawks and other stories. I still remember his "ASA Lives" coffee mug.

Voted Civie, but hopefully not for long.

Nickle I should add, it was in the Army's infinate wisdom to take a supply person trained for motor pool, send me to an MI unit where they were reclassing the MOS, and it wasn't even my MOS after, and not able to get it as a secondary. To play with computer parts instead. [laugh] [laugh]

Nuclear Power is not as easy a field to get into on the civilian side as you'd think, Derek. I almost went to Army Nuclear Power School myself. Rethought it when I saw what job opportunities were like. Did you know they haven't built a new Nuke Plant in over 25 years, and I think the time frame is since Three Mile Island.

derek said:
Can't you make more $$$ as a civilian nuke? Like triple?

As far as Navy Nuclear power, yes. There is a lot of money to be made out i the real world. I am an electrician, so nuclear is not my only way to go. Plenty of money to be made in other forms of power as well. I just don't want to stay in the field. I want to finish my Criminal Justice Bachelors and move on to Law Enforcement. My Job in the Civilian market I could start around $80 with quite a few promised raises in the first couple of years to get me above the $100K mark, so I have been told by some friends that have gotten out. Army Nuclear power, as far as I know, never really took off. I was taught that they gave up do to having to many accidents, SL-1 I think, but I am not sure. I know the Air Force tried some Nuke stuff and abadoned it after leaving a huge chunk of Utah desert unihabitable. Not sure though, I really only know about naval applications.

Last edited:
Former Navy. Six years as a Surface Warfare Officer. Served on Reuben James and Nimitz. One Westpac and one Westpac/Persian Gulf deployment.

Maine Army National Guard from 1998-1999
1st Armored Division, USAREUR (Regular Army), 1999-2002
US Coast Guard Maritime Safety and Security Team, 2003-Present

Being a Puddle Pirate rocks :D

Back
Top Bottom