• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Service Type

Which category do you fit in?

• Total voters
FPrice said:
TonyD...

Upon his relief from comand (new CO coming in, his time to go back to the states) the custom was for the new CO to fly the old CO out after turning over duties. They did, and was shot down. Both were lost.

Damn, what a shame. Losing someone in combat is always tough. But losing both your old and new commander in a single sortie had to be hard for that squadron.

It was harder for my fiancee's family. I believe it was his third tour. Everything was burnt. People, posessions, etc.

Civilian here... but, like another poster, wondering what a middle-aged guy can do to give back.

OTOH, there's a job for a telecom feeb at the Army's Natick Labs, so I'm going to self-nominate myself for that... it would be another category if I can get it - Army civilian employee.

Ross

Ross,

I don't think you would want to let anyone in the military know that you are a civil service employee. On our base if you were crossing the road at 16:01 you would be run over by 50 cars all leaving at the same time. No effort at work, no quality at work, and it takes an act of god to fire them.

Derek, don't get too hasty with that one. There are such critters as National Guard "Technicians". They're excepted service DOD civilians, and are actually required to belong to the Guard.

Ross, try looking into your State Guard. They're not the same as the Army or Air Guard, and in-state only.

derek said:
No effort at work, no quality at work.

Um... how do I put this delicately? NFW. All my customers at work (I'm currently working as a field tech) would rather deal with me than my boss - I've had customers move from one building to another building and tell my boss that they did NOT want to have any other tech work on their account than me - picked up a couple of new buildings that way.

I don't do that "no effort, no quality" crap.

And as for state guard... well... let me put it this way: age 45, and a diabetic. (diet controlled, but I think that eleminates most LE positions, doesn't it?)

Ross

Nickle said:
Derek, don't get too hasty with that one. There are such critters as National Guard "Technicians". They're excepted service DOD civilians, and are actually required to belong to the Guard.

Ross, try looking into your State Guard. They're not the same as the Army or Air Guard, and in-state only.

I'm just speaking for which I had the pleasure of dealing with.

State Guard, not Army Guard.

State Guard Requirements, most states:

Eyes - Yes
Ears - Yes
Legs - 2 preferred
Arms - 2 preferred
Heart - Yes
Brain - Helpful

45 and diabetic WON'T be a problem. The Active Duty military allows you to be diabetic, if it's diet controlled.

Hell, up here, we've got a bunch of Army Guard retirees (and a few non-prior military) in our state guard.

TonyD said:
Nickle said:

Eyes - Yes
Ears - Yes
Legs - 2 preferred
Arms - 2 preferred
Heart - Yes

Interesting, no requirement for "Brain".

[lol]

Tony, it's superfluous, all you have to do is follow orders, right?
[wink] j/k

LenS said:
TonyD said:
Nickle said:

Eyes - Yes
Ears - Yes
Legs - 2 preferred
Arms - 2 preferred
Heart - Yes

Interesting, no requirement for "Brain".

[lol]

Tony, it's superfluous, all you have to do is follow orders, right?
[wink] j/k

Yeah, but at least one needs to take a trip to Oz. [wink]

State Guard, they take the place of the Army Guard or Air Guard when they aren't available.

The physical requirements aren't high. They don't carry weapons (usually), but they do security sometimes, and various other tasks within state to ease the burden on the Army or Air Guard.

http://www.sgaus.org/MAVolMilitia.htm

February 10, 2004

Members of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia (MVM) have been drilling at the Joint Force Headquarters - Massachusetts in direct support of the state mission of the Massachusetts National Guard.

The MVM is a volunteer organization that allows citizens to support the activities of the National Guard. "This is a great organization for those who want to give something back to the community, but for one reason or another cannot enlist in the Massachusetts National Guard. We are lucky to have them," noted Maj. Gen. George W. Keefe, The Adjutant General of the Massachusetts National Guard.

The mission of the MVM is:

1. To provide service and support to the Massachusetts National Guard during full or partial mobilization.
2. To provide service and support to the National Guard during normal day-to-day planning operations, and other non-activation activities.
3. Assume state missions of the National Guard following mobilization.
4. Renders support to military and civilian authorities during domestic emergencies, national disasters, and military ceremonial events.
5. Assist in the training and readiness of the National Guard and conduct other missions as assigned by The Adjutant General.

CPL Michael J. Pietrowicz (MA) of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia works the front desk at Joint Force Headquarters - Massachusetts under the direction of Massachusetts National Guard SGT Kurt Bouron.

In addition, MVM will develop plans, prepare and conduct realistic and meaningful training, support the training and readiness of the National Guard, and conduct missions and other tasks as assigned by the direction of The Adjutant General, in accordance with applicable Massachusetts National Guard policies.

The Director of the MVM is Col. (MA) Ronald J. Bruchmann, and additional information on the organization can be obtained by contacting Col. (MA) Todd Miles at [email protected]

or 508-865-6118.

Capt. Winfield Danielson
Public Affairs Officer
Massachusetts National Guard
508-233-6560
DSN: 256-6560

Back
Top Bottom