Serial Numbers?

Privacy I understand, but what kind of fraud could be committed by knowing the serial number of someone's gun?

Edit: I'm not trying to be a d-bag I really don't know

ie filing a false FA-10 or BATF form and then claiming ownership.
Thats the fraud.

Or filing an FA-10 form and then contening that the gun you "sold" you never received funds for.

It is good to remove any identifiying details items on any site.

Yeah, in pictures. What kind of fraud could be committed?

I think it's already been answered but I block any uniquely identifiable numbers (e.g. serial numbers, license plate numbers, etc.)

ie filing a false FA-10 or BATF form and then claiming ownership.
Thats the fraud.

Or filing an FA-10 form and then contening that the gun you "sold" you never received funds for.

It is good to remove any identifiying details items on any site.

Bingo.

besides keeping some level of anonymity, and the fraud prevention thing, usually you only need the prefix to narrow down the production date, and knowing the production date gives you an idea of age, features, potential problems with guns in that manufacturing revision, etc.

the last 6 of a VIN are the real serial number as far as when it was made.

the 10th digit is the model year, the first is country of manufacture, the rest all have meaning too. The asian manufacturers thought nothing of making changes at any time, so a lot of time if you ordered a part you needed the VIN in front of you when ordering parts.

eventually the US makers did major changes anytime during the model year, instead of he old way of changing things by model year. If I order parts from a dealer for something I just give them the VIN and they can pull the build sheet up in their system, NAPA sometimes wants the date of manufacture off the door tag if there was a mid year change, or the VIN.

Guns are no different. Someone refresh my memory about one of the old military rifles that had barrel issues in a certain range of serial numbers and those guns are supposedly not safe to shoot. Great collectors items though.

Someone refresh my memory about one of the old military rifles that had barrel issues in a certain range of serial numbers and those guns are supposedly not safe to shoot. Great collectors items though.

the last 6 of a VIN are the real serial number as far as when it was made.

the 10th digit is the model year, the first is country of manufacture, the rest all have meaning too. The asian manufacturers thought nothing of making changes at any time, so a lot of time if you ordered a part you needed the VIN in front of you when ordering parts.

eventually the US makers did major changes anytime during the model year, instead of he old way of changing things by model year. If I order parts from a dealer for something I just give them the VIN and they can pull the build sheet up in their system, NAPA sometimes wants the date of manufacture off the door tag if there was a mid year change, or the VIN.

Guns are no different. Someone refresh my memory about one of the old military rifles that had barrel issues in a certain range of serial numbers and those guns are supposedly not safe to shoot. Great collectors items though.

M1903s (receiver, not barrel issues). Some came out without proper heat treatment (overtreated) leading to brittle metal that injured a bunch of soliders in separate incidents. Springfield Armory receivers under 800,000 and RIA receivers under 286,000 (I think those are the ranges) may or may not have been treated properly and are generally considered the "unsafe" range.

(Luckily mine was one of the last few thousand built)

Any time I've needed a part, I just provide the VIN and they get me the proper one.

Privacy I understand, but what kind of fraud could be committed by knowing the serial number of someone's gun?

The old scoop was supposedly someone else could report the gun stolen, then claim they know who stole it and then point the finger at you. Of course if you have your paperwork in order this probably will fail pretty miserably on their part.

I don't even know if I can really believe that, considering that the guy trying to steal the gun would have to literally work with the cops to steal it, and that doesn't really pass a sniff test. Then again, I wouldn't put it past some frauds/con men to try to do something like this.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom