Serbian 5.56-What the hell?

Nothing wrong with Prvi Partisan ammo.

I fired 2 boxes yesterday and 4 more today, including my AR (4 different mags), with no problems.

1) Don't shoot the Federal Gold Medal match ammo as your test - the same results might happen. Federal has somewhat looser primer pockets on those and I stopped shooting this ammo for high power after numerous primer pop outs. You know it wasn't good when the brass rats wouldn't even take the stuff! Standard American Eagle doesn't have this problem, that I know off.

2) Our AR's weren't made for steel-cased ammo but it will shoot it. I never had any problems with the old/new Wolf except it being dirty and not as accurate. I had more problems with the Spanish made Santa Barbara SS109 that was using brass casings. The rifle's extractor would pull right thru the brass and leave the case in the chamber.

3) Give DPMS a chance to fix it. If they don't, find someone who will ream the chamber to 5.56 if it can be done. If not, replace and don't look back

Joe R.

Thanks for all the input. I will get som Federal XM-193 and shoot that. I will see what happens. I will also bring my friend's bushmaster and try with his barrel and upper with the original ammo. If still problems, I will try his bolt...etc. It will be a fun experiment.

I just had some cheap .223 damage my gun last weekend. I will never try to save a buck ever again. Now I need a new bolt and carrier. [angry]

5.56 Serbian

I just pickup some Serbian 5.56 Surplus for my DPMS and went to the range today and I had a big problem. The primers were falling out of the brass after the round was fired. There were many problems. The primers would fall into the lower and into the trigger group or seemed to sometimes get stuck in the chamber not allowing the round to fire. Has anyone else had this problem?

Just joined NES, and read you comments. I had the same problem with my Armalite last week. The primers (1 of 3 or 4) were pulling out, causing the empty to get stuck under the extractor. Never happened to any other ammo I have used. I was told it was Serbian. Head stamp looks like nny dated 2002. I plan to try the stuff in a T/C Encore next trip to the range.

That's exactly what mine were stamped!

Just joined NES, and read you comments. I had the same problem with my Armalite last week. The primers (1 of 3 or 4) were pulling out, causing the empty to get stuck under the extractor. Never happened to any other ammo I have used. I was told it was Serbian. Head stamp looks like nny dated 2002. I plan to try the stuff in a T/C Encore next trip to the range.

Someone might have to tear apart a couple of rounds to see what is going on. I've used the green battle packs of the Serbian M193 and haven't had any issues. Northeast sells both the Privi Partisan in the blue/white boxes and the 20 rd military packs. I haven't tried the other stuff yet.

Joe R.

Ah, the stuff I'm thinking of is marked PP, then a number like 07 on the opposite side. It comes in white 20rnd boxes, if you get enough of them it'll be a bunch of boxes in a sealed plastic bag (forget how many).

PP and nny are the same manufacturer, Prvi Partizan. nny is used to denote ammunition initially intended for military use. PPU is used on commercial ammo.

PP and nny are the same manufacturer, Prvi Partizan. nny is used to denote ammunition initially intended for military use. PPU is used on commercial ammo.

In that case its scary that the nny seems problematic and the PP works fine! [thinking] Does the nny stuff have the (+) NATO mark on it? If it does there should be nothing at all wrong with it. (in theory!)

I don't have any nny on hand. I think most of the nny is older, and most of the stuff coming in now is meant for commercial consumption and marked PPU (including the white box stuff most stores carry). nny and PPU are the same, as nny is in cyrillic characters.

Most of the nny ammo found in this country will be older (not that old, but a couple of years), and military surplus, although some was imported under other brand names as Prvi has been an OEM source for ammo for brands including Hotshot and Wolf Gold.

My PPU 07 manufacture (5.56x45, 55 grain) is not marked with the NATO stamp. Neither (obviously) is the .223 62 grain PPU that I have.

Short story, same manufacturer. Most of the Prvi ammo coming in now is PPU headstamp and intended for commercial use, while some of the nny was surplus (but not all).

I've never had any problems with any of it, in any caliber.

Also important to note that the 5.56 Prvi has the military primer pockets, while the .223 does not.

Last edited:
I just pickup some Serbian 5.56 Surplus for my DPMS and went to the range today and I had a big problem. The primers were falling out of the brass after the round was fired. There were many problems. The primers would fall into the lower and into the trigger group or seemed to sometimes get stuck in the chamber not allowing the round to fire. Has anyone else had this problem?

Man, be VERY careful with this stuff. Stop using it now. If you get a primer lodged between the locking lugs and your bolt (in the chamber area) you might get your bolt stuck into your upper receiver semi-permanently. This type of jam is VERY hard to fix. I had it once due to a simple piece of paper getting in there and only got it out with significant hammering on a 1/2" wooden dowel I stuck into the bolt.

Back
Top Bottom