• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Senetor Susan Collins Reply

So I wrote all my elected officials early in the week, and just got a reply from Susan Collins - R (D- Rating from GOA). I got an automated response from Pingree saying she would not contact me because I did not check reply. I still have to contact the ole angus.

I want to call, but I have a feeling that I would never get through to anyone of importance.

This is my letter:

Greetings,

Due to the recent events at Sandy Hook elementary school we now face
renewed threats to our Constitutional rights. While I understand how
painful the loss must be for those touched by this tragedy, blaming
firearms or their owners and punishing them is not the answer to the
challenges we face as a nation.

We must end the policy of creating gun free zones. This all but guarantees
that someone will focus on these targets of opportunity in which ever
fashion they see to inflict maximum damage while police take minutes to
respond. Armed guards are used to protect the children of the President,
and other well to do members of society, why is it that our middle class
children may not experience the same level of protection?

It is the unalienable right for the citizens of the United States of
America to own firearms, and we will not stand for the erosion of these
rights in the name of political propaganda.

Thank you.

And this is the reply

Dear Mr. S,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to gun control legislation in the wake of the horrifying tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.

These shootings were acts of violence that our country has experienced far too often. I was shaken as I learned of the details of the shooting, which cut short the lives of so many little children and seven adults, causing such immense suffering and unspeakable grief for their families and their community.

I grew up in northern Maine where responsible gun ownership is part of the heritage of many families. While our country should examine what can be done to help prevent gun violence, denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens won't change the behavior of those who intend on using firearms for criminal purposes.

We need to have a national conversation to try to avert another devastating shooting. To be fruitful, however, that discussion must do more than focus solely on regulating firearms; it also needs to examine issues such as the glorification of violence in the media and video games and the mental health system in this country.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins
United States Senator

typical politicians responce 98% filler (such a sad story I grew up in Maine blah blah blah) 2% content
To be fruitful, however, that discussion must do more than focus solely on regulating firearms; it also needs to examine issues such as the glorification of violence in the media and video games and the mental health system in this country.

i suppose it could have been worse

Back
Top Bottom