Senators push police reform bill: Expungement allows for not telling police of past crimes when applying for LTC?

Couple of thoughts. I do think its interesting that MA is finally looking at options for expungement with this bill and the bill introduced last year. I also find it very interesting that it is extremely limited in what can be expunged, and also the age of the individual...only for people 21 or younger, "youthful indiscretion" they say.

A scenario exists where a 30 year old who has a felony conviction under their belt is able to get that felony expunged, but a 30 year old with a misdemeanor under their belt is unable to get that conviction expunged. The 30 year old with the Felony could have been convicted at 20 and the 30 year old with the misdemeanor convicted at 23.
That's because they want to help all the people breaking sh*t. Go ahead, destroy property, you are young and can make it dissapear.

That being said, I think having st least one age group could make it easier to have this amended in the future to extend the age.

That's the point of expungement. If it's expunged, then there is (legally) no history to see.

The whole point of the CoP Discretion, is so that a person that is, "Known to the Police," but who has never been convicted, can be kept from getting a permission slip.

It sucks when someone who is "obviously" guilty beats the rap...but that's the way the game is supposed to be played.

Difference is the literal sense, ie the record is actually deleted so even upon later criminal convictions the probation department looses visibility.

With a NH annulment they specify the correct answer is "no", and it's absolutely treated as "no" (someone could do state prison time then become a cop if they want without it being used against them) however the state also says during a subsequent conviction the annulled conviction can be used (ie its not deleted, still available somehow).

Back
Top Bottom