• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Senate hearing today at 10AM on Cspan

PIGGSY WANTS TO PLAY!

YESSS!! I just found the game. Now I need to find the Xbox. Time to get my nostalgia on

qa8e3eha.jpg

EDIT: They made a mistake. The speaker was David Kopel from Denver university law school.
EDIT NOT Nicholas Johson (Fordham Law school):

Gun controls do not violate the 2nd amendment if they are constructed so that they don't violates the rights of law abiding citizens, and if they are constructed to be [useful in stemming violance].

AWB was based on superficial cosmetics and accessories. It was a mistake. 10 year sunset. DOJ must study effectiveness. Several studies were done: the law had done nothing. It did not save lives, it did not reduce # of bullets fired. It was a failure.

Police and law abiding citizens choose semi-auto handguns and riles like the AR15 for same reasons. Such firearms and their STANDARD capacity factory magazines - don't state that they are ONLY for mass murder - are chosen for [various legal purposes, lawful defense].

Great Brittan shows perils of mass confiscation. Higher violent crime rate, higher home invasion. Gun registration repeatedly outlawed here because it's been used as a tool for confiscation. Universal background checks proposed often have provisions for registration or other violations of civil liberties. Let private sellers have access to the background check system, but mandating universal checks can only be enforced if there is universal gun registration. Such registration is peril to.... canada did it and repealed it - Fiasco.

Only thing that will stop mass killings in schools - armed guards and teachers who have a CCW shouldn't be prohibited from carrying. Talks of straw man arguments people come up with. We have this in Utah without a single problem, and no shootings. If we want to save lives we should be doing this.

Last edited:
I feel bad for former Rep Giffords. I think it's horrible what happened to her. BUT someone needs to start asking the hard questions to these people. What proposed gun law would have prevented her tragedy? Surely, not a magazine ban.

Its time to ask the tough questions to these people. I'm sorry, if the anti gun nuts want to parade the victims around, than I think they can be asked the questions.

James Johnson - National Law Enforcement Partnership to Prevent Gun Violence. Baltimore county COP.

Concerned about unacceptable level of gun violence in the US. Individuals armed with firepower designed for combat. Cites statistics. Firearms leading cause of death for LEO killed in duty in 2011 (first time in xxx years). We urgently need congress to address the epidemic of gun violence.

-Safety and educational institutions.
- Mental health issues.
- Long overdue in strengthening gun laws.

Urgently need:
-Require background checks for all.
- Prohibited person records in background checks need to be complete.
- Limit magazins to 10 rounds.
- Some of us support Feinstein AWB

No checks are needed for private sales. 6.6 million gun transactions occurred w/o background checks in 1 year. Some examples cited. "Background checks work". We have a system- so extending to all purchases is easy and should be done. States cannot do it alone, must be addressed federally. 30% crime guns crossed state lines. Must reinstate high capacity or AWB - they aren't used for hunting or our homes. Limit # of rounds a shooter can discharge before reloading - can provide a window for escape, etc. Claims something about 94 AWB having some benefits in # of guns required.

Victims are riddled with bullets. We're counting on you to make sure generations of Americans can grow up safe. Stand with Law Enforcement on these "common sense" things.

Gayle Trotter - Independent Women's Forum Senior Fellow

We all want a safer society, but we differ on how. I urge you to reject any actions that will fail to make Americans safer, and in particular women.

Sarah McKinley story. Called 911 when 2 intruders broke in. She fired her weapon, killed one, the other fled. "It was either going to be him or my son, and it wasn't going to be my son". "Guns make women safer". "Great equalizer for women". Violent criminals use their size and strength to prey on women - guns reverse balance of power. Concealed Carry laws dramatically increase the risk of committing a crime - this keeps us ALL safe even people not carrying. Armed security works.

Gun bans do not work. They keep guns out of law abiding people's hands, but not criminals. We need sensible enforcement of current laws. Thousands of under enforced or selectively enforced laws. Address gun violence based on what works: guns make women safer. Lawful self defense is a central component of 2A. For women, arming ourselves is even more consequential than men. Protect women by safeguarding 2A.

Wayne LaPierre - NRA

Millions of decent, hard working, law abiding citizens need a voice. Answer to "what to do" is to be honest about what works and hat doesn't work. Safety and educational programs work. Eddie Eagle program. Fatal accidents are at lowest level in 100 years. 80,000 certified instructors - how to safely use firearms. We DO and SPEND more than anyone else on safe and responsible gun ownership.

Sorrow over Newtown - sacred duty to keep children safe. Ask to bring in every expert to develop a model school shield program to make schools as safe as possible. Need a blanket of safety. 1/3 of schools have armed security already because it works. More are considering their own plans. Need to enforce thousands of laws already on the books - prosecuting criminals works. We've seen a collapse in gun prosecutions. Violent felons gang members, drug dealers, mentally ill all possess firearms and are not being prosecuted. Unacceptable. Only 44 prosecutions for people trying to buy guns and failing background check.

Mental health system is broken. Need to look at full range of options. Include records in NICS.

We disagree with many of the [anits]. We will not accept blame for acts of criminals. Gov't cannot dictate how we protect ourselves. Laws that only burden law-abiding have failed and will fail. Semi-autos are popular for [various reasons]. AWB had no impact according to several studies. Background checks will never be universal because criminals will not submit to them.

NRA millions of Americans who support what works. All walks of life. Responsibility for safety and protection is god-given right.

Back
Top Bottom