Senate Bill 1401 - Stalled in Senate Committee, please write your state senator

MA Katrina Bill

I just called the Massachusetts Senate Committee on Ways & Means to voice my support for the Katrina Bill as GOAL urged. Took all of 45 seconds. I encourage everyone to do the same.

From the GOAL email ->

Senate Committee on Ways & Means
617-722-1481

With the general budget debates over, on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 the Massachusetts Senate will begin regular formal sessions once again. Now that the Senate will be taking up regular business again, it is time to continue work towards the passage of GOAL's bill S.1401 "An Act Prohibiting the Confiscation of Lawfully Owned Firearms During the State of Emergency". As our members recall this bill was filed as a result of the unlawful confiscation of firearms during the Katrina disaster.
At the end of March this bill was released favorably by the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. The bill now resides in the Senate Committee on Ways & Means. GOAL is urging our members to contact the Senate Committee on Ways & Means and urge them to release S.1401 with a FAVORABLE report. The Committee can be contacted at: 617-722-1481. As always we ask our members to be polite, brief and to the point when contacting the State House.

MA Senate Bill 1401 - Stalled in Senate Committee, please write your state senator

Sorry for the long title, but I feel this is important.

This bill...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/185/st01/st01401.htm

...is caught up in the Mass State Senate Committee. It is S.1401 "An act prohibiting the confiscation of lawfully owned firearms during a state of emergency"

It would be VERY bad if this got turned down.

They still list Stephen DeLuc for my district -- but he quit months ago. Has no-one taken over for him?

-= chuck

Evertime I write to Jim Marzilli I get a personal response which I find reassuring.

I wrote him again last night.

Here is a response:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding S. 1401, legislation that would prohibit the confiscation of lawfully owned firearms during a state of emergency. I appreciate hearing from you and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

You may be interested to know that this bill was reported favorably from the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security and is now awaiting action by the Senate Ways and Means Committee, which is looking into the cost of having this bill enacted. Since I first ran for the Senate, I have strongly supported the right of law abiding individuals to keep and bear firearms, whether it is for collection or personal protection. I also unequivocally support the rights of hunters and sportsmen to own firearms and to use them for such purposes. I believe we ought to vigorously enforce those laws rather than enacting new gun control laws and have been proud to have earned an “A” rating from G.O.A.L. the last two years in a row. Please know that I will share your views with my colleagues on the Committee, and certainly keep them in mind should the bill come before the full Senate for a vote.

Again, thank you for your correspondence. It is my pleasure to serve as your voice on Beacon Hill. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact my office at 617-722-1485.

Sincerely,

Edward M. Augustus Jr.

State Senator

I called my Rep. yesterday morning and left a message with his secretary asking him to support S.1401. She was very polite, said she would pass the message on. She even called me back to let me know she didn;t think they would vote on it that day.

I was surprised that she continued to be polite even after I explained to her what S.1401 was.

End of Session Wrap Up

S.1401 - GOAL's version of the Katrina bill filed by Senator Richard Moore was passed in both the Senate and the House and is waiting final enactment prior to going to the Governor's desk. This final step can normally happen in an informal session and should be completed next week. Another great victory for lawful gunowners.

MA State House: what happened today?

You know, I just looked at the bill, and one thing seems missing. It doesn't mention returning of any confiscated items or reimbursement if they are misplaced. This should most definitely be in there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom