Semi-Auto Rifle Options Under $800?

So I am interested in getting a semi-auto rifle but trying to sort out what options really exist.

Would just be for some range fun.

Basic Requirement thoughts:
Not 22
Ideally .223/556 or .308
Under $800
Easily Found/Available in MA

Basically sometimes I flirt with the idea of getting a CMP garand, but have not. The main reason being that ammo would be expensive and that would mean I wouldn't take it to the range too often due to cost. (Muffled laughter from the corners of the safe where all the underused guns sit waiting for a range day) I just like the idea and history of the garand a lot. Plus I know they likely won't be around forever at the CMP and might kick myself for not picking one up.

So what I would like to figure out is what other semi-auto options are available in MA that might scratch the itch of getting a rifle but in a more affordable ammo bracket.

(I know I could get a .22 and not even have to buy ammo because I already have thousands of rounds, but I am looking for something a bit more exciting)

You might be able to find a PTR GI model for that, or just slightly over. Definitely will if its a used one. Super fun rifle, and mags are the cheapest you’ll find. AFAIK roller locks aren't effected under Healeys imaginary non-law. Add a heavy buffer in the stock and its a .308 that feels like shooting an AR, albeit a heavy-ass one

That said, my H&R M1 in 30.06 is hands down my favorite gun in my collection even if she doesn’t get taken out to play as often as Id like. Zero regrets, and if you have the chance to get one dont think twice

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the mini 14/30. I know people shit on them all the time but mine is like 10,000 rds deep without a single hiccup. Mostly steel junk too. Just stand clear of the ejecting shells. Those thing really fly. Precision grade? Nope. Steel plate accurate? All day

Oh and use factory mags. Pre ban guy at all the gun shows has them

I'm a fan of the mini 14/30. I know people shit on them all the time but mine is like 10,000 rds deep without a single hiccup. Mostly steel junk too. Just stand clear of the ejecting shells. Those thing really fly. Precision grade? Nope. Steel plate accurate? All day

Oh and use factory mags. Pre ban guy at all the gun shows has them

Outside MA, you can probably get two ARs for your $800, and have change for ammo.

Sofa King glad I moved.

Responding to these two in one comment, one idea that crossed my mind was seeing if I can get a sweetheart deal on a mini-14 by buying it off my FIL. Looking up current new prices it seems mini-14 is at $999 for MSRP (not that one pays that but expensive) and my FIL and BIL went in on one years ago. My BIL now has an AR (told my FIL to keep the mini 14 at his house) and my FIL has talked about getting an AR at points. I figure they can get more AR for the $ than I can here in MA.

You might be able to find a PTR GI model for that, or just slightly over. Definitely will if its a used one. Super fun rifle, and mags are the cheapest you’ll find. AFAIK roller locks aren't effected under Healeys imaginary non-law. Add a heavy buffer in the stock and its a .308 that feels like shooting an AR, albeit a heavy-ass one

That said, my H&R M1 in 30.06 is hands down my favorite gun in my collection even if she doesn’t get taken out to play as often as Id like. Zero regrets, and if you have the chance to get one dont think twice
The C308 (Century's build) is $620 right now:
C308 Rifle Classic SALE-Century Arms - AtlanticFirearms.com

Since G3 mags are super cheap, you could stock up on those, too.

PTR is nice, though. The last bullet/criteria (MA) makes this much harder.

The C308 (Century's build) is $620 right now:
C308 Rifle Classic SALE-Century Arms - AtlanticFirearms.com

Since G3 mags are super cheap, you could stock up on those, too.

PTR is nice, though. The last bullet/criteria (MA) makes this much harder.

Hah yeah, that req basically toggles it from googling "cool rifles under $800" to parsing a mix of legal possibilities or finding a exemption case going at a reasonable price.

I have a ruger speed six which is basically exactly what my BIL was looking for but didn't find going into a bunch of places in OH and NC. Me I just walked into my regular place and randomly they had one in the case. To get an AR or something else at a reasonable price I basically would need that kind of luck but in private sale vs. a brick and mortar. Does complicate things.

The M1 Garand is a delight in every way: looking at it; fondling it; and, best of all, shooting it! Much more satisfying to hold and shoot than any chunk of black plastic. You can also get 30-06 ammo at a great price on-line from targetsportsusa in CT, shipped to your door.

Given the requirements of
sub $800 at retail
223/556
semi auto
not an AR15

Purely by going to one of my distributors and sorting on these criteria by price

Keltec su-16

These likely need to get used to be below $800

ruger mini 14
Keltec RDB

Lots of great options in the classified now too. Some in your range, some just a bit over.

Have you looked at other calibers like 300AAC or 6.5CM? I know there are a multitude of opinions on some of these other calibers, but they are popular. I have an AR in 300BLK that's fun to shoot, and it's cheaper than .308.

made for range fun

KELTEC RDB CARBINE 223 REM | 5.56 NATO - GUNPRIME %

KTRDBBLK_1.jpg

223 range fun?

Mini14 all the freakin way.
This is my experience too. Pretty reliable.
Just watch out for that gas block. Gets super hot!

Lots of great options in the classified now too. Some in your range, some just a bit over.

Have you looked at other calibers like 300AAC or 6.5CM? I know there are a multitude of opinions on some of these other calibers, but they are popular. I have an AR in 300BLK that's fun to shoot, and it's cheaper than .308.

Don't know much about them but not opposed.

If you're willing to budge on your budget a bit, CMP has .308 Garands...for $1250. That gives you a semiauto, in .308, in MA, in a design you maybe covet?

Drool but honestly 800 is a stretch as it is.

if 800 is breaking the bank how will you afford to run it?

Most likely I just will take it to the range a few times a year. 90%+ of my shooting is Trap and I have an 8 month old.

Ammo comes from a different budget than the gun.

Most likely I will just get the garand and spend $40 more on ammo a year for all I will shoot it.

Heck if I just wanted semi auto fun cheap fairly sure I could just borrow the mini 14 from my FIL and only be out ammo and the cost of 10 round magazines.

Most likely I just will take it to the range a few times a year. 90%+ of my shooting is Trap and I have an 8 month old.

Ammo comes from a different budget than the gun.

Most likely I will just get the garand and spend $40 more on ammo a year for all I will shoot it.

Heck if I just wanted semi auto fun cheap fairly sure I could just borrow the mini 14 from my FIL and only be out ammo and the cost of 10 round magazines.

If there's no money to pimp it out I'd pick the Garand too.

-Mike

For semi-auto range fun on a max budget of $800, I suggest considering a Ruger PCC carbine. For about $500 you get a decent carbine that really is fun at the range. And while 9mm may not be as fun as 5.56, it is also a lot cheaper.

A fixed mag AR15 might also be reasonable. I consider the fixed mag AR models to be only suitable for range entertainment, but if that is the niche, a fixed mag rifle might fill it. And even though many of the fixed mag options are over your budget, putting an inexpensive upper on a fixed mag complete lower should easily come in under your price point.

Of course, the Garand you mentioned is also a great choice, and I personally like Mini-14s pretty well, but it is always good to have options.

That’s rather ridiculous. You could say the same thing for literally any price point. What if he said his rifle budget was 1000? Or 2000? Or 500?

Not really, it's an honest question. I got rid of a rifle once because between the correct glass and ongoing ammo cost it was too expensive for my budget. More often than not there's a whole bunch of guns I wanted to buy but the TCO didn't work out... and that means a dust collector, then again the value prop is different for everyone. If he's not going to run it hard he can get a lot of things....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom