Semi Auto Pistol for South Paw?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I applied for my pistol permit a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to look for my first hand gun. I was hoping you all could help me out. I'm looking for something that would be good for bringing to the range, and home protection maybe. But I'm looking for something that would work really well for a left handed shooter like myself. I've shot my brothers Glock 22, and I really like it, but the mag release is pretty annoying. I was thinking maybe a springfield xd would be a good choice?

Welcome to the forum Rebel.

Two pistols I'm familiar with that are lefty friendly are the Walther P99 and HK USP. Both have an ambi mag release and the HK can be converted to several configurations, I believe the V2 has the decoker/safety lever set up for a lefty.

I think the Springfield XD also has an ambi mag release.

I'm sure there are plenty of others, these are just the ones I'm most familiar with. Other people here will chime in with their suggestions as well.

CD

Edit: correct USP Variant.

Last edited:
Welcome Rebel. As stated, the HK is great for a southpaw. Most others I believe can be changed to adapt to a leftie so it's mostly what you're comfortable with. Not knowing your experience level I can't really suggest anything in particular.

I'm pretty much a novice shooter, but not a total noob. I've been shooting a bunch of times, and I pick up most shooting sports pretty quick. How much do the HK's run price wise? Thats another factor in this equation. Also, I think I'd prefer something with an exposed hammer. Seems like it's a better option safety wise?

ok, the Walther P99 is definitly on the top of my list now. The only thing I don't like is the internal hammer. The USP looks awesome, but the slide release is on the left, I'm looking for a conversion for that, but cann't seem to find one. If there was, I think I'd get the USP instead because of the external hammer.

Left Handed

The biggest problem we had with our left handed officers was that worn on the left hip, the seat belt harness tended to drop the magizine on our S&W semi-autos from time to time.[thinking]

cdkayak said:
Two pistols I'm familiar with that are lefty friendly are the Walther P99 and HK USP. Both have an ambi mag release and the HK can be converted to several configurations, I believe the V3 has the decoker/safety lever set up for a lefty.

Actually, it's Variant 2 that is DA/SA with a safety/decocker on the right side of the frame for Lefties, but like the P99, the slide release is still on the left.

I own a P99 in 9mm and a USP Compact in .40s&w and won't give up either! They are both fantastic guns and you will love either of them.

Also, don't let the internal hammer or lack of external safety on the P99 bother you.

RebelGT said:
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I applied for my pistol permit a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to look for my first hand gun. I was hoping you all could help me out. I'm looking for something that would be good for bringing to the range, and home protection maybe. But I'm looking for something that would work really well for a left handed shooter like myself. I've shot my brothers Glock 22, and I really like it, but the mag release is pretty annoying. I was thinking maybe a springfield xd would be a good choice?

Are you in Mass? If so, here is a start:

"THE LIST" (legal to purchase in MA)

(If only more people would contribute...)

Last edited:
I checked out that link, it looks like the safety, mag release, and decocker are on the right, but the slide release is still on the left.

I was just talking with one of my friends at work here, he suggested maybe getting a 1911, he said theres lots of conversion parts around for them, maybe that'd be a good idea too?

RebelGT said:
I checked out that link, it looks like the safety, mag release, and decocker are on the right, but the slide release is still on the left.

I was just talking with one of my friends at work here, he suggested maybe getting a 1911, he said theres lots of conversion parts around for them, maybe that'd be a good idea too?

Don't worry about the slide stop being on the left. Sling-shot the slide or use your left forefinger. I don't think anyone makes a slidestop on the right.

The new S&W M&P has ambi slide stop, and the mag release can be flipped to the right side as well..

Adam

wow, the M&P is pretty sweet to, i thought i was going to have limited choices, i have a lot to look over and hopefully try out. Anyone in CT have any of these guns they can let me try out one day?

I'm not sure where in CT you are, but there's a shop on the border of Norwalk and New Canaan called Forest & Field that lets you rent guns there. The guys there are tools, but they usually have a pretty good selection of stuff to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom