Selling to CA resident

I have an opportunity to sell a revolver to a California resident. He has an FFL who will receive it and will send me his FFL #. Is there any MAss law prohibiting me from shipping a firearm to an out of state FFL? And how would I best ship it? I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law on either end of this transaction.

I have an opportunity to sell a revolver to a California resident. He has an FFL who will receive it and will send me his FFL #. Is there any MAss law prohibiting me from shipping a firearm to an out of state FFL? And how would I best ship it? I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law on either end of this transaction.

There isn't a MA law, but there is a CA one that prohibits people from shipping anything regulated to any FFL there without first becoming a CA approved "distributor" (it may have been listed as "approved dealer", etc;), or some such BS. As I read the laws there, the way to do it will require 2 FFLs, not one. You can't ship to his CA FFL as I understand it. You can ship to a CA approved distributor who then ships to CA. You can find a CA approved source FFL/distributor by trolling gun broker for the term "will ship to CA". You ship to them, they ship to the CA dealer.

BTW: The whole point of this insanity from what I can tell is they think the FFLs in CA are selling guns outside of the CA registration system and want the out of state dists/dealers to file a separate form with the CA-DOJ with the number shipped in so they can compare those, with sales and inventory and find "missing" guns.

ETA: You may want to post this question on CalGuns. They will know the CA law better than anyone.

There isn't a MA law, but there is a CA one that prohibits people from shipping anything regulated to any FFL there without first becoming a CA approved "distributor" (it may have been listed as "approved dealer", etc;), or some such BS. As I read the laws there, the way to do it will require 2 FFLs, not one. You can't ship to his CA FFL as I understand it. You can ship to a CA approved distributor who then ships to CA. You can find a CA approved source FFL/distributor by trolling gun broker for the term "will ship to CA". You ship to them, they ship to the CA dealer.

BTW: The whole point of this insanity from what I can tell is they think the FFLs in CA are selling guns outside of the CA registration system and want the out of state dists/dealers to file a separate form with the CA-DOJ with the number shipped in so they can compare those, with sales and inventory and find "missing" guns.

ETA: You may want to post this question on CalGuns. They will know the CA law better than anyone.

I have read the CA DOJ firearms law (and I thought Mass was F***ed Up) and as I read it I can ship directly to a CA FFL. If I go through a Mass FFL the mass ffl has to obtain a shipment authorization from the CA DOJ (which verifies that the CA ffl is legit) but I as an individual do not. Doesn't make much sense but there it is.

I have read the CA DOJ firearms law (and I thought Mass was F***ed Up) and as I read it I can ship directly to a CA FFL. If I go through a Mass FFL the mass ffl has to obtain a shipment authorization from the CA DOJ (which verifies that the CA ffl is legit) but I as an individual do not. Doesn't make much sense but there it is.

You have summed up "shipping firearms to CA" right there. I won't ship to CA just because of this.

That may be the case. I am not surprised it is that asinine. But kudos to you for doing the homework. Nothing in MA prevents you. Go for it then.

Back
Top Bottom