• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling guns. Think I'll wait to see how things pan out

I did a strategic sell off last year in case HRC won. Dumped a 45, a 44mag and s 40. Replaced them all with 9mm. I only have 9, 22, 233, and 12ga in my safe.
At some point ill get a larger bore bolt in the 30 cal range.

I'm down to 3 pistol calibers and roughly 3 rifle calibers...I say roughly because I have a bunch that are some variation of .30 caliber...and I'm getting better at reloading these days so I can honestly say that I'm all set as long as I have components.

shotgun I have a few 12 gauges and that's it...one for every purpose I would 'need.'

In this state there is no point in hoarding because any and all can be confiscated on a moment's notice.
Also, for me it is the principle. I don't need to hoard 100 guns, I want freedom to hoard 100 guns if I so desire.

I always use stuff like this an excuse to buy a new gun (and as an f you to the left), but I don't think we'll see sandy hook style panic buying.

Serious question.

Why does everyone think they need to gain value or make themselves equal in a gun purchase? I know for a fact you don't apply that same logic to a auto purchase because it's now used. Please keep in mind we are not talking collector pieces for this conversation.

You bought it because you did for whatever reason. You have decided it's not for you. You now need that money (in whatever form) to do something else with.

Full disclosure: Yes I have stuff sitting on a shelf for various reasons but making coin was not the primary issue and they have only been there for under 10 years.

Flame on!

Bad analogy. For whatever reason cars depreciate by a huge percentage as you drive out of the dealership, even if it is only 1 mile down the street. Guns on the other hand tend to appreciate over time, not depreciate. Examples: Late 1970s I bought a used High Standard Victor for $160 at Ivanhoe's, today when I see them for sale they are asking $700+. My W. German made PPK/S .380 (also Ivanhoe's late 1970s) was $195, today probably $400 or so. NIB Colt 1911 Mk IV Series 70 was $210, sold it 20 years later for $750 (it literally had 300 rds of light target loads thru it).

Bad analogy. For whatever reason cars depreciate by a huge percentage as you drive out of the dealership, even if it is only 1 mile down the street. Guns on the other hand tend to appreciate over time, not depreciate. Examples: Late 1970s I bought a used High Standard Victor for $160 at Ivanhoe's, today when I see them for sale they are asking $700+. My W. German made PPK/S .380 (also Ivanhoe's late 1970s) was $195, today probably $400 or so. NIB Colt 1911 Mk IV Series 70 was $210, sold it 20 years later for $750 (it literally had 300 rds of light target loads thru it).

People often take care of and maintain their guns (Or never fire them), not so much with cars

I follow this analogy. I not only look at them as my guns, I also look at them as my investment. Sure I do the 401K, stocks, etc' for my retirement, but I'm also investing in my guns. Do I really need what I own. No. Will I make a profit when I sell them. Most definitely. As Lens said, guns typically appreciate and I usually buy guns that have a value that I'm fairly certain will go up over the years. Do I have a couple "duds" that I might break even on? Yep. Do I have more that I know I can sell for more then I paid. Most definitely.

Missed my point or better yet I was not 100% clear. Yes I own stuff that is clearly worth much more than I bought it for. Investment? Sure but nobody is getting rich anytime soon.

HS Victor, Colt Ser70 or older, Gold Cups, Pythons and the other snake guns, high end shotties, Even the rare S&W's were not what I was referring to. I'm talking about guys looking for gold in later model guns. We all see guys attempting to sell stuff here and elsewhere wanting 100% or more what they got into it when we can walk into most any LGS (well we use to be able to do that anyway) and get a rifle and outfit as we wanted. Same with pistols. New Sigs, M&P's ect ect are a dime a dozen until you see some of the asking prices.

Yes I realize asking and actual are not necessarily related but a quick glance thru the FS area is comical at times.

Last edited:
Calibers! God damn calibers. Right now I have .380, .357, 9mm, .45, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 5.56, 12ga. I bought a .45 then sold it and thought I was out of the caliber, but then a gun came along I couldn't pass up so now I'm back in.

I wish I could get rid of .380 but my wife has her Sig p238 and if I'm honest its such an easy caliber to shoot well I'd hate to get rid of my 238. It might be nice to trade my 5.45 AK for a 7.62, especially since it's a bit more of a pain in the ass to find non corrosive ammo for it, but then I built the 5.45 so I can't get rid of that! I also have a ballsload of ammo for it.

I gotta avoid getting in to anything new. But then, our 200/400 yard range is opening up so maybe I need a .308 or 338 lapua....

Back
Top Bottom