• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scum rob and shoot Play Station buyers in CT

Scum knew people had cash

ov 17, 8:31 AM EST

1 Shot in Conn. Playstation Waiting Line

AP Photo/BRIAN KERSEY
U.S. Video
Advertisement

PUTNAM, Conn. (AP) -- Two armed thugs tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

The two confronted a "bunch of people who were in line" outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patron's resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled, and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

Buy AP Photo Reprints

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart - its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

© 2006 The Associated Press. A

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/17/playstation.ap/index.html

In Palmdale, California, authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wisconsin, a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

[rofl]

Nothing like geeks trying to exert physical activity...

It's for the children!

the children? have you seen most of the latest games? This system is made for adults. The average age of a gamer now is like 27-30. Granted kids are more computer and game friendly than my parent generation (i'm 27) all the current systems (Xbox, PS2, PSP, etc) have controls that are tough to handle for anyone.

I figure i'll wait till next year when the cost is down, bugs are fixed, and i wont get shot for having one.

I don't care if FS had a limited number of pre ban underfolding AKs for $200, I still wouldn't stand in line for 2 days to get one. Theres something wrong with people these days. [thinking]
I remember about 6 years ago my wife convinced me to get up with her at 4 am the day after Thanksgiving and head out for the early bird specials. Back then it was actually worth it because you could save several hundred dollars on "door buster items". We got to most stores about 15 mins before oppening time and there were already lines of people waiting to get in.
When they oppened the door to the local mall, it was like the Dawn of the Dead remake with fast running zombies charging through the mall heading to the toy store. We had a list of things to pick up for our daughter and I planned on casually walking in, buying the toys, and going back home to bed having spent much less than what normal prices were. Before I knew it I was pushed aside by old women and soccer moms as they actually ran in the store. Thats when you get mad and figure if I don't get agressive, losing that sleep wasn't worth it.[laugh]
Manners and courtesy aside I sprinted past the old women and the overweight, caught up with the soccer moms and other husbands, and made it to the toy store to be 1 of the 20 people allowed in at one time. I much like the other husbands had to hold up toys and get the wife's aproval telling me that was the right one as she stood outside waiting to get in. Fights broke out, women yelled at each other, stuff was destroyed, an old woman actually tried to take some of the stuff I was buying, it was chaos! I got my stuff and got out vowing to never do the early bird thing again.

In Palmdale, California, authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wisconsin, a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

I laughed when I read that too.

Jim,

The worst part had I been there making the dash and saw that dork slam in to a pole I would have hit the ground laughing and probably passed out from a lack of oxygen. [smile]

I would've been the guy laughing and high-fiving you. I'm imagining that it made a hollow pinging sound like when you hit a rock with an aluminum bat.

I would've been the guy laughing and high-fiving you. I'm imagining that it made a hollow pinging sound like when you hit a rock with an aluminum bat.

Its like a bell actually.
When my friends and I used to walk the local Avenue to meet women back in the mid 80s I watched a cop turn and start to give chase to a guy he was searching when the guy took off running. Unfortunately the cop turned too quick and ran face first into an aluminum street light pole.
As I was walking up watching the whole thing happen I asked the cop if he was ok and offered to help him up. He stood up, was embarrassed, and arrested me and my friend for loitering.[angry2]

Its like a bell actually.
When my friends and I used to walk the local Avenue to meet women back in the mid 80s I watched a cop turn and start to give chase to a guy he was searching when the guy took off running. Unfortunately the cop turned too quick and ran face first into an aluminum street light pole.
As I was walking up watching the whole thing happen I asked the cop if he was ok and offered to help him up. He stood up, was embarrassed, and arrested me and my friend for loitering.[angry2]
goes to show no good deed goes unpunished

I'll be in Japan in two weeks. I wonder if I ought to try to pick up one of these things. Probably equally hard to get over there..

pretty bad when you need to add bullet proof vest to the list of things needed when camping outside a store while waiting for something stupid to be released..[thinking]

that would of been funny to see happen..[laugh2]

Maybe I'm just a boring person, but I don't get it. I don't understand the
allure of waiting outside a store like a bunch of mice waiting for the walmart
troll to push some metal bar and dispense an amount of product that is
lesser than the demand for it.

It's JUST a lousy CONSOLE!. It's not the coming of christ! It's just a
dumbass console with low resolution, limited storage and shitty graphics.
When will people get over it? 90% of the games for those things
suck anyways.

All this coming from someone who -IS- a gamer. I just don't buy into the
hype.... if I want to buy stuff like that I wait till the porkchop chiuaua
crew goes away and then get it for half price. I could care less if
everyone has another machine by then or not. The whole point of the
thing is to derive entertainment from it. I don't see how the "now"
syndrome adds to the entertainment provided.

I actually kinda HATE consoles, fwiw. The problem is consoles have
dumbed down the gaming industry to an all time low. It used to be
that PC's got all the cool games, now they take shitty console games
and port them to the PC without adding any features of value. Now
PC game releases get delayed so the developer can pander to the
console market. Bleh.

I think the markets gone to pot. There are only a handful of titles that
come out every year that are remotely interesting.

-Mike

Took the family out to dinner Thursday night. As we drove past the local Circuit City, we noticed the tents and line of die hard me first geeks. My 11 year old son made me very proud when he said: "When was the last time any of those guys went out on a date?" After explaining that most of them probably lived in their mom's basement, we agreed to wait until the inevitable price drop in a year or so before buying the PS3.

280050367274QQihZ018QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]
The same guy who bought this one paid $280 on a World of Warcraft level 60 warrior, what ever the hell that is.[rolleyes]

It's a character in a game. At least that character probably has at least
60+ man hours of progress behind it. It must not have had many
items though.... The fully equipped WoW chars can fetch like $1500+
easy.

I'd rather have the L60 Warrior than the PS3. [grin]

-Mike

Greg said:
I have to have one of those! I just sold my pre-ban Bushy with all the cubicle commando accessories so I can fund a PS3.I know a guy who knows a guy that is willing to sell me one for $1800,I'm stoked!

I believe I detect a tiny bit of scarasm. [grin]

I hope all the schmucks who are scarfing these things up for re-selling get stuck with 'em !

Milsurps_4_me said:
...pre ban underfolding AKs for $200...

I juuuuust might wait in line for this. [rolleyes]

I don't care if FS had a limited number of pre ban underfolding AKs for $200, I still wouldn't stand in line for 2 days to get one.

Pre-ban AKs? Nah. Pre-ban HKs? I'd be camping out 2 weeks in advance.

about the other stuff:

Online characters for "MMORPG"s can run up to $2000+, but in all fairness that is not bad because it takes a long, long time to build up those characters. A lot of people even sell in-game items and make a living off of it.

As for the PS3 itself, I waited a year before buying my Xbox 360, and 2 years before buying my original xbox. It's pointless to be the first to buy, because there aren't any games available or very few, and the early games although impressive looking quickly become obselete as programmers find better ways to exploit the new hardware.

Back
Top Bottom