Scouting or patrolling exercise.

jmjkd

Instructor
Recently we held a course and one of the topics was scouting ( patrolling) with a group. This was intended to teach to work as a team. The team learned to observe as one, move quietly and follow directions using sign, but most important, as a team to find and identify resources both natural and man made which I planted for them to spot. A lot of stuff I used was just disregarded by others. The task was to find the first 5 C’s of survivability which would secure shelter, fire, water, and food and in turn would control core body temperature, (the ability to live).
The first 5 C’s
1.Cutting tool
2.Combustion device
3.Container
4.Cover
5.Cordage

This exercise can be practiced by anyone, alone or with friends. The team did pretty good finding the man made items, not so good with the natural earthly resources, for example they spotted the trash bag hanging on a branch, but missed the squirrel and the Mullien plant next to it.
The objective was to pick out the valuable trash and disregard the worthless trash, bring it to the group quietly using sign and not to spoke and potential food source in the area.
This is a great exercise to do with children, what kid doesn’t love a treasure hunt, it also gives the family things to do on a sunny Saturday and Dad get’s to practice his what if TSHTF tasks without freaking out the wifey or bystander’s.

Recently we held a course and one of the topics was scouting ( patrolling) with a group. This was intended to teach to work as a team. The team learned to observe as one, move quietly and follow directions using sign, but most important, as a team to find and identify resources both natural and man made which I planted for them to spot. A lot of stuff I used was just disregarded by others. The task was to find the first 5 C’s of survivability which would secure shelter, fire, water, and food and in turn would control core body temperature, (the ability to live).
The first 5 C’s
1.Cutting tool
2.Combustion device
3.Container
4.Cover
5.Cordage

This exercise can be practiced by anyone, alone or with friends. The team did pretty good finding the man made items, not so good with the natural earthly resources, for example they spotted the trash bag hanging on a branch, but missed the squirrel and the Mullien plant next to it.
The objective was to pick out the valuable trash and disregard the worthless trash, bring it to the group quietly using sign and not to spoke and potential food source in the area.
This is a great exercise to do with children, what kid doesn’t love a treasure hunt, it also gives the family things to do on a sunny Saturday and Dad get’s to practice his what if TSHTF tasks without freaking out the wifey or bystander’s.

Do you have the real name for the squirrel plant? are you talking about squirreltail? I thought that was only around out west or is there some other eastern variety that is local and may be known by another name?

mullien is the plant. Common mullien is used for medicinals, candle wicks and firestarting, as well as "personal hygiene." It's everywhere around New England.

I was talking about the Mullein plant and the squirrel, (rodent) .in addition to observe and identify any movement man or beast using a defensive mindset and bring this information by signing through the group.

So are you scouting/patrolling for junk or looking for bad guys in the AO?

This. A slightly clearer explanation of your objective here might be good. Is this solely to scavenge for useful items? And what's the scenario behind the exercise? Bus crash in the middle of the woods? TEOTWAWKI?

Obviously the ability to function as a group and search an area is a good thing, but having a clear objective in sight while learning/practicing might be a good thing.

Hi Bog, the first 5 c’s are part of a system to priorities to secure Shelter, Fire, Water, and Food (squirrel). food is needed to control core body temp With a cutting tool and cordage you can make easy traps.

atmay, Here was the objestives and a little of the scouting, i hope this helps...:cool:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/110250-Wilderness-Self-defense-Vid
Hmm I don't see food on there?
The first 5 C’s
1.Cutting tool
2.Combustion device
3.Container
4.Cover
5.Cordage

Also wouldn't it be better to be taught to not leave home without these 5 things? you must know the rules of 3, food is way down on the priority list isn't it?

6. Critters

Seriously, I am confused as to what you are patrolling for. In the vid you talk about post Katrina patrolling which to me means I am looking out for bad guys and not plants and dead squirrels. I would think that a small group would be better for foraging as they would move faster and quieter.

Bog there is a lot to deal with
kit items and kit reduction was covered in another module, Food is not on the list of kit items, 5C’s , but even though Food is at the bottom of the rule of 3’s you never pass by a meal, .not in a self reliant situation. they say you can go 3 weeks without food? but try going 3 days, it sucks.
Folks learn in modules but they multi-task and hopefully take advantage of every situation

Coastie: it’s understandable you might be confused; it’s even more confusing when you’re in it, and not behind the safety of a computer. You wrote

“Seriously, I am confused as to what you are patrolling for. In the vid you talk about post Katrina patrolling which to me means I am looking out for bad guys and not plants and dead squirrels. I would think that a small group would be better for foraging as they would move faster and quieter.”

If you have to look for plants that means you don’t know your plants, if you did, you would simply pick them when seen, no effort.

Who said the squirrel was dead? Making assumptions is dangerous

for example: assuming you will come across clean water, or dry tinder or clear weather can get you in trouble.
Experience, awareness, training and the right mind set will get you through bad times and being a team player with a positive attitude goes a long way....:cool:

I do not understand your teaching philosophy. It seems like you take a shotgun approach in your classes. A ton of info in what 8-10 hrs. Do these people taking the class all get an opportunity to gather tinder and start a fire or build a debris hut? Just those 2 lessons alone would easily take a full day. I have always been taught the rule of 3. With few exceptions my first worry is shelter, followed by fire and then water. Food is a nice to have but most people are rescued within a few days. Things like cordage and medicinals are a nice to know but until you have those 3 basics down and practiced anything else takes people focus away from the important things.

As for things like squirrels, which one of the 15 guys is going to shoot it trap it etc? Squirrel is what 500 cals/ 1lb IIRC. That is a huge calorie burn to catch. You probably need 10-12 just to make up for the calorie burn of that patrol. Am I going to risk compromising a "combat" patrol for a squirrel. Not a chance. I spent several drill weekends learning basic patrolling and movements, not an hour.

To me survival training builds on a series of lessons. Learn your shelter, fire, water and how to get found. Then add in basic easy to find foods. I take my kids into the woods and we work on one thing. They are 2 and 5 so their attention spans are short but we will work on building a hut or "fort" as they prefer. It might be walking through learning where to find dry wood or where a good place to shelter would be. Last week one afternoon it was finding acorns to make acorn flour. This was to get them out of the house to give my wife a break but they had fun and learned something. Each time we go out I might review some of the stuff we did before and if they want to build from there.

Back
Top Bottom