• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scoped Swiss K31 Range Report!

DW357

NES Member
Well I decided to buy the clamp on style scope mount for my Swiss K31 a couple weeks ago since these are such accurate rifles. I had an extra scope on hand and don't have much $ tied up with the rifle so I figured why not?

Mac1911 (and others) might cringe when I say I threw on $7 scope rings and a $40 Barska 3-9x40 scope, but they worked great! Also Mac will be happy to know that I actually shot at paper for a change [laugh] AND have target pics to boot!

Anyway enough of that, check out the accuracy on these rifles!! These are NRA 50 foot pistol targets as that's all I have at the moment.
These were shot at 100 yards just using a sandbag up front to support the rifle and elbows on table. I was using 1984 GP11 ammo. Forgot to bring my reloads to see how they group...

It only took me 10 shots to get it zeroed...

Pics of the rifle and scope mount:
IMG_6119.jpg IMG_6120.jpg IMG_6121.jpg

Target pics:
3 shot group IMG_6123.jpg 7 shot group (check out that cloverleaf!): IMG_6124.jpg

6 shot group, this was more of a fast paced shooting (1 of the bullets went in the same hole!!): IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg IMG_6126.jpg

I can't imagine how well this would shoot in the hands of someone other than me [laugh] All in all, I'm VERY pleased with the results and so glad I gave the clamp on scope mount a try.

I feel like I'm going to be shooting this gun even moreso now....Debating if I should order another case of GP11 ammo...What's $289?

But I have a crapton of powder and bullets to reload 7.5x55 but I'm lazy[laugh] Plus I doubt reloads will shoot much better than GP11.

Nice... I bet you could get reloads to do a bit better.....
Although I think you would have picked up a 1/2 moa with at least 29$ rings[smile]

Let's see how that POS holds up....[wink] I have had much luck with the cheap myself.

Nice! and that scope really doesn't look bad on it. Make sure to retighten everything scope related now that you've put some rounds through it. Probably loosened up a little

Nice... I bet you could get reloads to do a bit better.....
Although I think you would have picked up a 1/2 moa with at least 29$ rings[smile]

Let's see how that POS holds up....[wink] I have had much luck with the cheap myself.

Yeah I don't know. My reloads 40.3 gr of IMR-4064 and a Nosler 168 gr BTHP. Have only shot 20 or 30 of them but not on paper yet. That would be impressive if my reload shot even better...

It's possible that more expensive rings would do better but I'm plenty satisfied if these hold up lol.

I think if I practice more on paper I can tighten these up a bit. It was windy and humid today so I don't know how much that affects my shooting at that distance?[smile]

Last edited:
Nice! and that scope really doesn't look bad on it. Make sure to retighten everything scope related now that you've put some rounds through it. Probably loosened up a little

Yeah I think it looks great! I did have to tighten the scope rings base screws but everything else was fine after 60 rounds.

Still think that good old rifle should sport something a bit better...

Oh come on! Lol. It shoots great! The rings seem very well made (steel). What the hell is the difference between these and spending another $15?[laugh] Scope stays put and doesn't move at all. Though the scope isn't the best I will admit. Not as clear as my Nikon...

he's only shooting 100yds, does he really need glass that costs more than the whole gun?

[laugh] Exactly. The damn scope mount cost 1/4 of what I paid for the rifle...Though I think it would do well at longer distances but certainly shooting 600+ yards it is a good idea to get better glass and rings.

[laugh] Exactly. The damn scope mount cost 1/4 of what I paid for the rifle...Though I think it would do well at longer distances but certainly shooting 600+ yards it is a good idea to get better glass and rings.

And that's the cheap mount! If it holds zero no reason it can't do well at 600+ only issues would be enough elevation and how well the scope tracks with turret adjustments.

My 1903a4 clone sports what I would call a cheap scope.
It's a leather wood M73G2 2.5x but it has held zero now for a few years and tracking is pretty darn good for the tiny little turrets.

I'm tossed between the aperture target sights for my K31 or a scope set up. I will probably run one of my old scopes like the Bushnell sportview or my weaver K4...also have a early Vari XIII 2.5x8x32
It's all fun

Last edited:
Carry on , reload test coming soon I hope.

Yeah that will definitely be the next test. I only have IMR-4064 so I'm limited on how much I can experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm tossed between the aperture target sights for my K31 or a scope set up. I will probably run one of my old scopes like the Bushnell sportview or my weaver K4...also have a early Vari XIII 2.5x8x32
It's all fun

After this range trip, my vote is a scope setup!

Yeah that will definitely be the next test. I only have IMR-4064 so I'm limited on how much I can experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

After this range trip, my vote is a scope setup!

I know it's fun but there is something to shooting well with Irons that draws me to stay with them.
I have a Rx lens for my shooting glasses now that works great and has afforded me a few more years of Iron shooting.

I don't think you have to experiment to much 4064 is a fine powder for almost any 30cal rifle.

Last edited:
I know it's fun but there is something to shooting well with Irons that draws me to stay with them.
I have a Rx lens for my shooting glasses now that works great and has afforded me a few more years of Iron shooting.

I don't think you have to experiment to much 4064 is a fine powder for almost any 30cal rifle.

Yeah I hear ya.

If I have time this weekend I may try to whip up more 7.5 loads.

How did the rifle shoot before the scoping ? Just asking if you had run it out to it's potential beforehand ? All my rifles seem to be on the honey spot at 300+ yards.

k310009_zpsgfbwggn8.jpg

How did the rifle shoot before the scoping ? Just asking if you had run it out to it's potential beforehand ? All my rifles seem to be on the honey spot at 300+ yards.

k310009_zpsgfbwggn8.jpg

Good question. I never shot it on paper with iron sights- only a 8" steel plate at 120 yards. The hits on the steel suggested ~3" groups?

I would love to try this rifle out to 300 yards. My club is only 120 yards[thinking] I've seen videos of people shooting these out to 1000 yards with great results. Such an awesome rifle.

I'd like to try my '99 Obendorf M96 Swede at distance, as it is so good at 100 yards. We've a 200 yard range opening somepoint in the near future at our club. It will be very interesting to try my zf41 when it comes back from its rebuild.

T

I forgot how much my Hornady powder measure hates IMR-4064. Tried making a few more loads and the rotor binds up every few throws of the powder. It drops ball and flake powders very well but these long stick powders were varying as much as +\- 0.4 grains. Really annoying.

When it doesn't bind they varied by 0.1-0.2 gr which is good enough.

I got a $200 Amazon card coming which I could use to put towards one of those RCBS Chargemasters?

Last edited:
Good question. I never shot it on paper with iron sights- only a 8" steel plate at 120 yards. The hits on the steel suggested ~3" groups?

It's handy information to know about each rifle as you acquire them.

You must have a range someplace to dance with the wind. All this Swiss rifle talk has my itch getting worse. LOL

DSCF0053_zps7kmct025.jpg

It's handy information to know about each rifle as you acquire them.

You must have a range someplace to dance with the wind. All this Swiss rifle talk has my itch getting worse. LOL

DSCF0053_zps7kmct025.jpg

I'm not sure about ranges up your way Andrew but down my way 200 is the max a clubs have 300 but you need to be a member and qualified to shoot 300.
Reading is the closest to Andrew and I'm not sure if they would let you shoot 600 I would imagine if you had a solid zero and your scope turrets track well they might let you shoot on a 600 prone any sight and rifle match. I plan on getting up there in Sept for a 600 any rifle any sights match.

So what you are saying is there isn't a CMP range or club course left in the state ? I can believe it because after my latest return to the states my son's local range has closed the 500 and 300 yard targets. Sucks ! Well we will have to drive a bit. Done uit before from SF to London, UK. LOL

So what you are saying is there isn't a CMP range or club course left in the state ? I can believe it because after my latest return to the states my son's local range has closed the 500 and 300 yard targets. Sucks ! Well we will have to drive a bit. Done uit before from SF to London, UK. LOL

I can't say for the rest of the country but there are not many clubs with more than 200 and even fewer running cmp events but CMP matches are generally shot at 100/200 yards.
CMP vintage Sniper runs to 600 yards if you can find a club running a vintage sniper match.
I feel though a few clubs still running cmp seem to be diminishing each year.
I used to karma a free cmp match but no longer can afford to do that. I still post the schedule for the local matches and the turn out is small.

If its only a 100 yards with a Swiss rifle you don't need glass. Just MO.

I agree with ya Fred. I shot through my first case of GP11 ammo using iron sights. But I just felt like trying out the scope mount since it doesn't alter the rifle and it's super accurate. Also had extra scope kicking around.

I agree with ya Fred. I shot through my first case of GP11 ammo using iron sights. But I just felt like trying out the scope mount since it doesn't alter the rifle and it's super accurate. Also had extra scope kicking around.

APS a very tough problem to over come !

Back
Top Bottom