Scope Thoughts

Garys

NES Member
I went hunting for the first time last week. I was in Texas hunting hogs and coyotes on a private lease. My rifle was a scoped AR15 with and 18 " barrel. I managed to hit a hog at about 150 yards, which was more luck than skill. The bottom line being I enjoyed it a lot and want to go again. Only I'm not good enough to use a light round like the .223 for hunting like that.

Sooooo, I'll probably use my Marlin 336C in 30-30, but it needs a scope and mount. I'm looking for thoughts and input on what would work well with that rifle for ranges up to about 150 yards, although most shots will be closer. At least I hope so.

Thanks.

I'd go with something in the low variable power opition. I like the 1-4x range,at its lowest setting you have enough FOV for the close shots and 4x is more then enough for a 150 yard max shot.

XS Sights makes a nice rail system for the Marlins that are capable of mounting back up iron sights with a scope still attached. The XS Lever Rail for Marlins.http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html

A 1-4x scope mounted in some quick detachable rings with back up iron sights would be a great hog set up. Strap a big bore revlover to your hip and you're ready to slay Porky.[smile]

Thanks for the replies. I like that XS sight rail system. Any thoughts on particular brands and models of scopes? Or ones to avoid for that matter.

One of the new Weavers or Redfields would be cool.
Nikon is excellent and now offers a lifetime warranty, but an American scope would be a nice touch.
Leupolds (especially used) are always (imo) a good bet.

The Nikon's are good glass for the price, same with the Bushnell Elite series scopes I have put buckmasters on my last 2 rifles and I've been very very happy with them. If you have the coin then Burris and Leupolds are great too. You could also looking into getting a 24" upper for your AR for Hog / Varmint hunting.

I just looked at the Bushnell website, check out the barrel length of the gun this guy is shooting[mg]

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/

The AR wasn't mine. Actually none of the rifles were mine since my itinerary took me to New Jersey after Texas. Next year it might just be MA to TX and back to MA, so I'll have more latitude in what I can bring. My AR has a 20" target barrel on it, but I doubt I'd bring that. Probably the Marlin and one of my SMLEs if I can find a suitable scope mount for it.

Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-5X. Best all-around short to mid-range hunting scope. It's a small scope that fits well on on a lever-action.

Back
Top Bottom