• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Dot or Scope for Shotgun Deer Hunting?

Buck F

NES Member
I have decided to go deer hunting. As a bit of background: I used to hunt waterfowl, upland bird & small game back in the day (like over 20 years ago). I'm a go along for the ride hunter, I go w/ friends to enjoy the time more than I'm out to harvest meat although I do enjoy game meats. I have hunted deer a few times in upstate NY w/ a rifle years ago, never saw a deer. Now I'm planning on going hunting w/ my brother in law who's an experienced deer hunter, he bags a few deer every year during a variety of seasons (muzzle loader, bow, shotgun, rifle). He lives in NH and has access to private property in NH, MA & VT. He and I have bonded since my sister passed a year ago and we have been talking about going hunting for years. It's happening this year. Shotgun season in either MA or NH.

I bought a shotgun, Mossberg 12 Ga 500 Field/Deer combo that comes with a 28" smooth bore and a 24" rifled barrel w/ cantilever optic mount (went back & forth on the iron sights or the optic mount barrel). Basic, entry level, I know. I had a 500 back in the day before I moved to MA. I like the modularity of the 500, the safety on the tang and the price point. I also ordered an 18.5" barrel for home defense although I generally prefer a rifle platform for that.

Now debating what kind of optic to use. I usually run red dots on the rifles, have a low end 4x scope I bought to play around with punching holes in paper but wouldn't use that for hunting. I guess I like the wider view and shorter length of the red dot, don't really think I need much in the way of magnification for a less than 100yard shot. But I see a lot of people using scopes and wondering if I should get a scope instead. I'm not spending a grand on glass but I'll spend a couple/few hundred on a lower end Leupold or Vortex. I looked at the Vortex Crossfire II at BP, it's about as large a scope I'd want to mount on a shotgun.

Thoughts & insights are appreciated.

You are going to be shooting foster slugs out of a smooth bore barrel so you will be shooting 50-75 yards tops so a lower power optic is the way to go.

I run a bushnel 1.5 -4.5 shotgun scope on my Winshester smooth bore deer gun.

I love hunting with the smooth bore it fits my hunting style and it is lighter than a rifles barrel and the ammo is far cheaper than the saboted rounds that are used in rifled barrels.

Get on the stick with sourcing and finding out what shoots best out of your barrel. Slugs were scarce as hens teeth last year.

Bob

You are going to be shooting foster slugs out of a smooth bore barrel so you will be shooting 50-75 yards tops so a lower power optic is the way to go.

I run a bushnel 1.5 -4.5 shotgun scope on my Winshester smooth bore deer gun.

I love hunting with the smooth bore it fits my hunting style and it is lighter than a rifles barrel and the ammo is far cheaper than the saboted rounds that are used in rifled barrels.

Get on the stick with sourcing and finding out what shoots best out of your barrel. Slugs were scarce as hens teeth last year.

Bob

Thanks! It's a rifled barrel & I picked up a few boxes of Hornady sabot slugs.

If I take a shot I want it to be a slam dunk so I probably wouldn't go further than 75 yards.

If I take a shot I want it to be a slam dunk so I probably wouldn't go further than 75 yards.

I misread your op. Go with a good higher power shotgun scope.

Remember to turn the power down when your walking.

Thanks guys! Sounds like scope is the way to go, makes sense that it'll help look through brush better and find holes.

Weight is a secondary consideration for me right now. If I go hunting 2-3 times a season it'll be a lot, I'll deal with humping whatever extra weight I have through the woods. I'm in good enough shape that a little discomfort won't kill me.

When I get into something I tend to overdo it and go all the way down the rabbit hole so this time next year we may be talking about the perfect slug gun and high end accessories, lol.

75 yards just go with a dot. I use irons and a smooth bore and have no problem anchoring deer with it. Although admittedly my longest shot with a shotgun on a deer was like 35 yards. If your hunting woods your never gonna see a deer at 75 yards. Field edge or farm land different story.

I use a scope on my muzzle loader but for nh muzzle loader season I'm hunting a couple of big fields and have used the extra range the scope provides. Once I had my scoped muzzle loader with me and a deer walked out 20 yards away and I had a bitch of a time getting that shot off......shouldered the rifle and saw nothing but brown lol. Kind-of hard to hit the boiler room on a deer when you only see brown hair in the scope.

75 yards just go with a dot. I use irons and a smooth bore and have no problem anchoring deer with it. Although admittedly my longest shot with a shotgun on a deer was like 35 yards. If your hunting woods your never gonna see a deer at 75 yards. Field edge or farm land different story.

I use a scope on my muzzle loader but for nh muzzle loader season I'm hunting a couple of big fields and have used the extra range the scope provides. Once I had my scoped muzzle loader with me and a deer walked out 20 yards away and I had a bitch of a time getting that shot off......shouldered the rifle and saw nothing but brown lol. Kind-of hard to hit the boiler room on a deer when you only see brown hair in the scope.
Honestly it depends how good you see distance. If you can't see good go with a scope. If you can a red dot will be faster. They probably have red dots with magnification too now.

I had a red dot on my SG until I started to lose my long distance vision. Then I scoped it.

I would recommend a low power scope like 1-5X so you dont get the 20 yard brown only problem Whacko is talking about here. In tight areas/walking/trailing turn the power down, in field areas turn it up to 5X.

Thanks guys! Sounds like scope is the way to go, makes sense that it'll help look through brush better and find holes.

Weight is a secondary consideration for me right now. If I go hunting 2-3 times a season it'll be a lot, I'll deal with humping whatever extra weight I have through the woods. I'm in good enough shape that a little discomfort won't kill me.

When I get into something I tend to overdo it and go all the way down the rabbit hole so this time next year we may be talking about the perfect slug gun and high end accessories, lol.
People say the best slug gun is a Savage 212, or 220 bolt gun with a scope if your going down the rabbit hole.

Totally unneeded IMHO........and if you are worried about longer range shots.....a lot of guys find their muzzleloaders more accurate than their shotguns.

Honestly, I find myself going back to the old smoothbore foster slug rig. Cheaper to shoot and find ammo for (at least pre pandemic it was) and accuracy (unless you have something like a Savage 220 or 212 or the Encore single shot I have that are specialized) .......not that different from most pump or semi auto rifled barrel rigs.

Honestly it depends how good you see distance. If you can't see good go with a scope. If you can a red dot will be faster. They probably have red dots with magnification too now.

I had a red dot on my SG until I started to lose my long distance vision. Then I scoped it.

I would recommend a low power scope like 1-5X so you dont get the 20 yard brown only problem Whacko is talking about here. In tight areas/walking/trailing turn the power down, in field areas turn it up to 5X.

I can see fine, particularly at a distance. Not sure exactly what we'll be hunting but I believe it's mostly woods, there may be fields involved too.

Thanks guys, back to the drawing board... lol.

I can see fine, particularly at a distance. Not sure exactly what we'll be hunting but I believe it's mostly woods, there may be fields involved too.

Thanks guys, back to the drawing board... lol.
When I was a kid and first started hunting, I couldn't afford a rifle sighted slug barrel for a few years...........I killed my first 3 deer with a bead sight shooting foster slugs.

Don't over think it.

Honestly, I find myself going back to the old smoothbore foster slug rig. Cheaper to shoot and find ammo for (at least pre pandemic it was) and accuracy (unless you have something like a Savage 220 or 212 or the Encore single shot I have that are specialized) .......not that different from most pump or semi auto rifled barrel rigs.

Spot on. That’s why I never moved up to a rifled SG.

Like @whacko, most of my shots are 30-40 yards with my longest being 80-85 yards. Even at that distance the 12g foster slug blew through the deer and obliterated the heart.

Bob

I prefer a scope, vs red dot, in low light and heavy cover. It's not often I spot a deer in the open, under a midday sun. The scope gathers light while the red dot filters it. I do use a red dot on a shotgun for coyote, but that's with a self-imposed limit of 50 yards, and using a shotshell.

Look at the Leupold twilight hunter, 1-5. Nice but a bit pricey. There are some used Leupold firedot scopes around once in a while on g-broker and eBay. They are a bit more wallet friendly.

Dave

I run the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 with the bdc reticle on both my muzzle loader and my slug gun. I find the LPVO to be a great compromise between scope and red dot and Vortex is good stuff. I usually snag them when they are on sale for around $300. I sight in at 50yds and then shoot the reticle at different ranges with my hunting load to come up with a dope card and keep it on the gun. The reticle can also be used for range finding at 6x magnification. Another benefit of this optic is if you don't end up hunting a lot with it you can always pull it off and use it on an AR or something, makes a great optic for a recce rifle build.

I’ve shot 100 deer and use iron sights. One less thing to go wrong. I think the longest shot I’ve ever taken with a shotgun was 40 yards. The woods can be a congested place. No disrespect sir but either you can shoot or you can’t 👍❤️

I prefer the scope at 4x or less or variable, I use my binos to find them and then with the scope I find it easier to pick the shot through the brush.

I run the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 with the bdc reticle on both my muzzle loader and my slug gun. I find the LPVO to be a great compromise between scope and red dot and Vortex is good stuff. I usually snag them when they are on sale for around $300. I sight in at 50yds and then shoot the reticle at different ranges with my hunting load to come up with a dope card and keep it on the gun. The reticle can also be used for range finding at 6x magnification. Another benefit of this optic is if you don't end up hunting a lot with it you can always pull it off and use it on an AR or something, makes a great optic for a recce rifle build.

I looked at that one and may check it out again. The red lit up reticle thingy in the middle seemed very bright. The guy that showed it to me swears by it.

I’ve shot 100 deer and use iron sights. One less thing to go wrong. I think the longest shot I’ve ever taken with a shotgun was 40 yards. The woods can be a congested place. No disrespect sir but either you can shoot or you can’t 👍❤️

I have never shot a deer but am a very good shot w/ iron sights w/ a rifle. Have never shot slugs w/ either iron sights or optics although I have put plenty of birdshot out there both in the air and on the ground. I thought about going the iron sights route but every hunter I know said go w/ a scope so I bought a shotgun w/ a cantilever scope mount, too late to change it now.

I have never shot a deer but am a very good shot w/ iron sights w/ a rifle. Have never shot slugs w/ either iron sights or optics although I have put plenty of birdshot out there both in the air and on the ground. I thought about going the iron sights route but every hunter I know said go w/ a scope so I bought a shotgun w/ a cantilever scope mount, too late to change it now.
I get it. Deer hunting is a frustrating game , the shot , in most cases happens in a quick second. Trying to locate the sucker in your scope could cost you a beauty. Just my thought on the subject. Although if your hanging in a tree stand I admit it could prove pretty effective ! Shoot a big one !!

I get it. Deer hunting is a frustrating game , the shot , in most cases happens in a quick second. Trying to locate the sucker in your scope could cost you a beauty. Just my thought on the subject. Although if your hanging in a tree stand I admit it could prove pretty effective ! Shoot a big one !!

Thanks. Getting a deer is secondary for me, I'm going hunting to spend time w/ bro-in law (my sister passed a year ago). And I just like being in the woods w/ a gun. He generally doesn't do tree stands. I probably wouldn't take a quick shot, if I do take a shot it'll be a slam dunk broadside shot I can take my time with. He'll be taking care of any butchering and keeping most of the meat (I will be present at butchering, like I have done in the past). Probably should have just gone w/ the iron sights model... oh well. Maybe I'll pick up that barrel for next season.

Thanks. Getting a deer is secondary for me, I'm going hunting to spend time w/ bro-in law (my sister passed a year ago). And I just like being in the woods w/ a gun. He generally doesn't do tree stands. I probably wouldn't take a quick shot, if I do take a shot it'll be a slam dunk broadside shot I can take my time with. He'll be taking care of any butchering and keeping most of the meat (I will be present at butchering, like I have done in the past). Probably should have just gone w/ the iron sights model... oh well. Maybe I'll pick up that barrel for next season.
I have 2 setups as I've been deer hunting for almost 40 years, and have specialized over the years. I bring both and leave one in the truck, for a backup, or to grab the pump for tracking.

A) One scoped single shot rifle barrel Encore that can punch 2" groups at 150 yards. I use that for "open woods" and field edge, or in an elevated stand in thick stuff to see thru the brush.

B) One rifle sighted Ithaca 16 gauge smoothbore Deerslayer pump, that has quick to aquire rifle sights and I can shoot fast. I use that for still hunting......or if I hit a deer not so good with A, or my buddies hit a deer not so good and we have to go tracking........

90% of the time I use Setup A. And with one shot......usually its a good one. Because it makes you either pass the shot, or take a good shot.

Hello again. I got a Vortex Crossfire II and mounted it on the shotgun. I have a dot I can put on if I don't like the scope and have plans for using the scope on a rifle when done hunting.

Question: I have a cantilever mount on the slug barrel, if I zero the scope in will it hold zero if I remove the barrel from the gun and leave the scope mounted? Planning on zeroing it at 50 & 100 this weekend. Thanks!

I have decided to go deer hunting. As a bit of background: I used to hunt waterfowl, upland bird & small game back in the day (like over 20 years ago). I'm a go along for the ride hunter, I go w/ friends to enjoy the time more than I'm out to harvest meat although I do enjoy game meats. I have hunted deer a few times in upstate NY w/ a rifle years ago, never saw a deer. Now I'm planning on going hunting w/ my brother in law who's an experienced deer hunter, he bags a few deer every year during a variety of seasons (muzzle loader, bow, shotgun, rifle). He lives in NH and has access to private property in NH, MA & VT. He and I have bonded since my sister passed a year ago and we have been talking about going hunting for years. It's happening this year. Shotgun season in either MA or NH.

I bought a shotgun, Mossberg 12 Ga 500 Field/Deer combo that comes with a 28" smooth bore and a 24" rifled barrel w/ cantilever optic mount (went back & forth on the iron sights or the optic mount barrel). Basic, entry level, I know. I had a 500 back in the day before I moved to MA. I like the modularity of the 500, the safety on the tang and the price point. I also ordered an 18.5" barrel for home defense although I generally prefer a rifle platform for that.

Now debating what kind of optic to use. I usually run red dots on the rifles, have a low end 4x scope I bought to play around with punching holes in paper but wouldn't use that for hunting. I guess I like the wider view and shorter length of the red dot, don't really think I need much in the way of magnification for a less than 100yard shot. But I see a lot of people using scopes and wondering if I should get a scope instead. I'm not spending a grand on glass but I'll spend a couple/few hundred on a lower end Leupold or Vortex. I looked at the Vortex Crossfire II at BP, it's about as large a scope I'd want to mount on a shotgun.

Thoughts & insights are appreciated.
In the classifieds I have a Red Dot for sale, designed specifically for Rifles & Shotguns.

Back
Top Bottom