• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope suggestions for an Armalite ar-10

Hi everyone,

Like the title suggests I just picked up an armalite ar-10 and I would like to know what to look for in a scope. I have always shot up to 100 with iron sights on my other ar-15's but the ar-10 is just begging to try out some longer distances. I would like an optic that would let me shoot accurately mostly between 100 and 200 yards for now. I would be attaching it via pica-tinny rails. Cost is a big consideration but I know if I go cheap and fire 308's the scope won't last long. All thoughts would be appreciated.

My research has lead me to the weaver 3-15 EMDR. Should come in under a grand with a larue mount.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Eotech and a magnifier will get you out to 600 yards from what I hear. My 4x zoom sig red green illuminated scope zooms great and is pretty nice.

Theres a lot of great glass out there but first you need add some details or you will have people throwing all sorts of randomness at you. What is your price range with a mount? what style of shooting? (Bench rest, standing, know distance, unknown distance, etc.) What's the closest and furthest distance you will be shooting? Will you b using it to mil out distance? Answer some if these and I'm sure you can find the right scope.

If I had to take a complete shot in the dark, I would say check out the Nikon M308. Designed for the AR-10, runs about $400 with a mount.

http://http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/m-308

Last edited:
Great advice! Ninja I would say mostly known distance, and from a bench rest. Furthest distance I would say is 200 yards but wouldnt mind the ability to go further. I cap it at that because my club only has up to 200 yard shooting and my knowledge of ballistics is pretty low right now. Will I/ should I have another mount besides the top rail or am I missing something? Price range for now would prob be < 500$ but I dont want to buy a designer suit and throw on 10$ shoes if you know what I mean.

Theres a lot of great glass out there but first you need add some details or you will have people throwing all sorts of randomness at you. What is your price range with a mount? what style of shooting? (Bench rest, standing, know distance, unknown distance, etc.) What's the closest and furthest distance you will be shooting? Will you b using it to mil out distance? Answer some if these and I'm sure you can find the right scope.

If I had to take a complete shot in the dark, I would say check out the Nikon M308. Designed for the AR-10, runs about $400 with a mount.

http://http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/m-308

This right here. ^^^^

SWFA SS 3-6x42 tactical isn't bad if you want a first focal plane (FFP) scope for around $600. If you go up to the $1000-$1500 range, then SWFA also hase some 5-20x50 tactical scopes with FFP. The Viper PST's are good as well as are the Night Force scopes.

If you are looking for an all around scope and don't care so much about estimating distance, the Nikon Monarchs aren't bad for the price. For out to 300 yards a Nikoplex reticle can be used without worrying too much about drop.

Great advice! Ninja I would say mostly known distance, and from a bench rest. Furthest distance I would say is 200 yards but wouldnt mind the ability to go further. I cap it at that because my club only has up to 200 yard shooting and my knowledge of ballistics is pretty low right now. Will I/ should I have another mount besides the top rail or am I missing something? Price range for now would prob be < 500$ but I dont want to buy a designer suit and throw on 10$ shoes if you know what I mean.

Given everything you told me, I stick with the Nikon M308 which I posted a link to above. Under $500 with a mount included, is designed for the AR-10 so that you can dial in distances without having to know anything about balistics. This scope will work great for your needs and is nice enough that it can compliment your rifle nicely without being "cheap".

I love my Nikon M-223 3-12x42 BDC600. It works great. Easy to use, and the SpotOn software really makes it fun too. I would recommend the M-308 sight unseen. Inside 200 yards with a .308, you're pretty much zero'ing it in, anyway... You won't get much use out of any of the mildot, BDC, or other business. Just get one you can see through easily and gives you a comfortable sight picture.

Last edited:
I'm new to magnification , I know an acog is typically 4x, what would a standard paper target look like at 200 yds? Maybe a better question is would I be able to see where I hit or would I still need my spotting scope?

Back
Top Bottom