• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scope mount on AR

Putting the finishing touches on my second AR build but ran into a snag. Have a scope to mount but the rail mount rings bought are too short so the scope is touching the rail and not the rings. Should I buy a riser to mount the rings to? or go with a taller tactical style scope mount?
3009u8p.jpg

Something like this work well (depending on scope) - I have a few of them on some of my AR scopes

http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar-p.e.p.r.-scope-mount

ETA: Nice looking rifle btw!
Like those but don't want the quick release. Plus there are a bunch of different ones on e-bay for short money.. Thought about taller rings but don't trust them to be as secure, that's why I was looking at a riser like this...
s-l1600.jpg

Like those but don't want the quick release. Plus there are a bunch of different ones on e-bay for short money.. Thought about taller rings but don't trust them to be as secure, that's why I was looking at a riser like this...
s-l1600.jpg

I thought these are used if your rifle has a FSB. I would avoid adding unnecessary weight. Buy a nice mount if it makes sense.

s-l1600.jpg

No
I Tried that and never had luck with it.
I run a 30mm PEPR with a 50mm scope and have have zero problem.They also come in non QD btw.

Putting the finishing touches on my second AR build but ran into a snag. Have a scope to mount but the rail mount rings bought are too short so the scope is touching the rail and not the rings. Should I buy a riser to mount the rings to? or go with a taller tactical style scope mount?
3009u8p.jpg

what scope , what size objective lense.
I have a 56mm onjective lense with 30mm body scope.
The vortex canreliver mount was bit to high for my likes with out any comb adjustment( I run a A2 stock)
I would avoid adding any spacers its just adding another conection and surface that can be off, come loose and add in problems. Measure from the top of your rail to the center of your rings and find the hieght you need to clear what you need to clear.
ex: if your rings measure from top of rail to center line of the ring of say .750" then you can get one at 1.00"
I have the burris tactical medium hieght rings on my scope above and it just clears my front round handguard. So If I had a extended rail like yours i would need to go with thier tall tactical ring to clear that added little hieght the rail has over my round guard.
Eye relief should not be much of a issue you have plenty of rail space if you trust yout hand guard rail to be true to the reciever.

s-l1600.jpg

you put some time and money into your rifle dont cheap out on rings.
the cheapest i would go for rings or mounts are leupold or burris
taller quality rings will be more secure than adding a riser

heres a few mounts i have grown to like for several applications
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leup...gclid=CKCsha-A79ECFdJLDQodzocL6A&gclsrc=aw.ds
vortex, not to bad for made in china solid and i have had zero issues. torgue to their specs and has yet to come loose
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-riflescope-tube-2-inch-offset
burris
i have these only because they dont make a signature series in the hieght i needed.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtreme-tactical-rings
and these on a 22lr that i often switch from scope to irons.http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/zee-rings

If you think your going to have any alignment issues the Burris signature rings are the way to go. I have a set on older bolt gun where the scope bases are a little fubar. and the signature ring where able to make up the 10 or MOA they where off. I have a old luepold 1" on this rifle. it has the twist in style mounts...but the signature series rings are very nice.

You want to have the fewest number of moving parts attaching the scope to the gun. Using a riser like that is a bad idea. LaRue has a number of options depending on objective size and they will even be nice enough to tell you which to use.

I just bought a set of the Burris 6 bolt rings. I'll tell you these things are beasts! Super rugged and strong. With a .223 you'll never have a problem. Fact is these are over kill and any quality 4 bolt rings will work but if you want the beasts go with the Burris or the Nightforce 6 bolt rings.

Last edited:
You want to have the fewest number of moving parts attaching the scope to the gun. Using a riser like that is a bad idea. LaRue has a number of options depending on objective size and they will even be nice enough to tell you which to use.

gee i forgot all about my larue 104 mount its on a rifle i never use any more...it is a nice mount

Quality costs money. Repeatability on a QD mount isn't as easy as eBay makes it seem.

Not sure what you need top rails for either, what do you plan to do? Mount a light on top of your scope?

Not sure what you need top rails for either, what do you plan to do? Mount a light on top of your scope?

In one of those links it shows a red dot on the top rail. Not sure if that's a competition setup or just uber-tacticool.

Quality costs money. Repeatability on a QD mount isn't as easy as eBay makes it seem.

Like the idea of the red dot on the top as a quick acquire sight. Not a big deal. this would be my first center fire with a scope so everything looks the same and without having parts in your hand, it's tough to tell the difference....

Thanks for the responses !! Ok, so the riser sounds like a bad idea. Like the single piece forward mounted rings but now the question is this, Most of the ones posted are $70 up to and over $120. What is the big difference between them and these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-PE...058833?hash=item1c591b8051:g:ZoEAAOSwWnFV7nby

This one I like with the extra rails on the top ring mounts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-1-...763992?hash=item567d344118:g:IJwAAOSw3mpXGJ6w

The difference is you have no idea who made it and it was probably made for air soft and pellet guns.
No idea of the quality of metal used.
I can tell you from years of cheap mounts on my pellet guns is the first thing that usually happens is the mount/rings just will not hold. Then the soft Crap metal will easily strip out when you try to tighten it.
If your just going for a look and your scope cost less than the mounts being recommended here buy the cheapest shit you can find...

Found a Burris P.E.P.R mount today and seems like a quality piece. Any opinions? Thanks for all the replies, you have to learn somehow which is what makes sites like these so appreciated..And while we are talking about AR items, What should I look for in a good rail mounted bipod?

Found a Burris P.E.P.R mount today and seems like a quality piece. Any opinions? Thanks for all the replies, you have to learn somehow which is what makes sites like these so appreciated..And while we are talking about AR items, What should I look for in a good rail mounted bipod?

Heavy for what it is and at that price there are many better options. Once you get into the $100 range, +/- $20 there are lots of good mounts out there.

Is this just a range toy? Or are you looking for this rifle to be 100% at all times?

PEPR all day long for a range toy. I wouldn't buy any mounts on eBay - unless you know it's legit.
Otherwise, American Defense, Bobro, LaRue are going to be your friends.

Is this just a range toy? Or are you looking for this rifle to be 100% at all times?

PEPR all day long for a range toy. I wouldn't buy any mounts on eBay - unless you know it's legit.
Otherwise, American Defense, Bobro, LaRue are going to be your friends.

also remeber there are lots of ebay crap that just call thier mounts pepr< what ever that stands for?
burris rings are nice there are a good amount of mounts and rings in the 100$ market as noted
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-30...Mount-with-Extra-Tri-rail-Rings-/231250274398
Like this one ? this is not a burris and I think PERP is a trade mark of Burris?

Back
Top Bottom